SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Using fusible interfacing to stabilize entire batting ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Using fusible interfacing to stabilize entire batting
Can I reduce the amount of quilting by this?
christik
christik
Member since 12/14/06
Send Message

Date: 5/4/13 12:21 PM

Anybody ever apply fusible interfacing to batting to stabilize the entire piece? I want to try to reduce the amount of quilting for my project but not worry about the batting shifting. Don't worry, this isn't for a traditional quilt!

Sharon1952
star
Sharon1952  Friend of PR
Advanced
Massachusetts USA
Member since 7/1/08
Board Moderator
Send Message

In reply to christik <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 5/4/13 1:08 PM

Just buy the fusible batting and save a step.

------
Sewing: A creative mess is better than tidy idleness. ~Author Unknown

Canadian Jane
star
Canadian Jane
Advanced Beginner
Alberta CANADA
Member since 10/30/10
Send Message

Date: 5/4/13 1:38 PM

If it is a small piece I think this might work but you could then also use temporary spray adhesive. That is what I use and usually have great results. What I like about it is that I can re-position fabric several times if need be to get it flat and smooth. (Especially working with flannel.)

I think you would have to be very careful with interfacing to make sure it doesn't make the fabric too stiff if it is intended to be a quilt or even a table runner. You will need one that is very, very light IMHO. OTOH if it is a wall hanging, a bit of stiffness might help... never thought of that!!

Jennifer Hill
star
Jennifer Hill
Advanced
Alberta CANADA
Member since 4/11/02
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 5/4/13 6:36 PM

I wouldn't recommend it. I've seen a lot of quilts in my time, and many don't have enough quilting in them. It's not simply a matter of how much your batting needs so it won't disintegrate in the wash, which is what the batting manufacturers post on their packaging. The entire quilt NEEDS lots of quilting stitches to hold its layers together such that none of those stitches undergo so much stress that they will break, or tear the fabric along a stitch line. Your quilt will last much longer if there are more stitches to share the stresses of handling, use, and laundering.

Even for wall hangings which won't be used and handled, sparsely quilted areas tend to sag as a reaction to gravity.

Jennifer in Calgary

Canadian Jane
star
Canadian Jane
Advanced Beginner
Alberta CANADA
Member since 10/30/10
Send Message

In reply to Jennifer Hill <<

Date: 5/4/13 6:51 PM

I did not read what OP posted carefully enough. My bad...I assumed that the purpose of the interfacing was to keep everything in place and not shift to make quilting easier.

I agree with Jennifer - even if interfacing is used - one can't skimp on the quilting. Same story with the temporary spray glue.

goodworks1
star
goodworks1  Friend of PR
Advanced
Illinois USA
Member since 7/19/03
Send Message

Date: 5/4/13 7:32 PM

I think you should try a test piece and see how it works.

I think your biggest problem would be melting the poly batting when you are applying the interfacing.

But that all depends what sort of interfacing you are using. Low temp? A knit? I think there have been 'bonded' battings in the past.

What is the project? Will it ever be laundered or moved around much?

------
blog: goodworks1.wordpress.com

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/4/13 7:52 PM

If you don't want to be bothered by a lot of quilting why not . tie the quilt

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

christik
christik
Member since 12/14/06
Send Message

Date: 5/4/13 8:02 PM

This is for a decorative saddle pad which will be placed between the saddle and a thicker pad. I use 100% cotton Warm & Natural batting - they state minimum quilting distance to be 10 inches. I was considering having the quilting lines no greater than 3 or 4 inches apart with a lightweight interfacing attached to the batting as I'm not sure how the batting might move. On 2 small sample quilt sandwiches, it did seem to help (it also did make the quilt sandwich less drapey, although that isn't an issue for my intent).

Jennifer Hill
star
Jennifer Hill
Advanced
Alberta CANADA
Member since 4/11/02
Send Message

In reply to christik <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 5/4/13 9:12 PM

Quote: christik
... I use 100% cotton Warm & Natural batting - they state minimum quilting distance to be 10 inches....

FWIW, I think this recommendation is totally absurd! Most of us baste/pin closer together than 10 inches!!

Jennifer in Calgary

figaro
figaro
Advanced
Member since 2/8/10
Send Message

In reply to Jennifer Hill <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/4/13 11:27 PM

Yeah, but basting/pinning has nothing to do with the density of the quilting lines. That's about keeping the fabric from shifting as you quilt.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Using fusible interfacing to stabilize entire batting

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Class Details

Online Class
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Class Details

Simplicity 1823

photo
by: SewNikki

Review
PR Member's Pattern Madalynne

photo
by: ak21

Review
THE COLLARS - A CD Book by Kenneth King

THE COLLARS - A CD Book by Kenneth King

More Info
Christine Jonson Swirl Skirt & Ruffle Top

Christine Jonson Swirl Skirt & Ruffle Top

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.