SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Creative Sewing > Bling application - permanent sparkles wanted ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Bling application - permanent sparkles wanted
How to apply bling and have it stay on?
christik
christik
Member since 12/14/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/10/13 10:53 AM

I would like to add some bling to my daughter's clothes. So far, I've used heat set crystals, but not all of them last through the day or the washer/dryer. Do any of you have recommendations on products and/or methods to keep bling at bay?

SheBear0320
starstar
SheBear0320  Friend of PR
Advanced
Manitoba Canada
Member since 4/8/08
online now
Send Message

In reply to christik <<
thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 5/10/13 1:02 PM

I use flatback crystals or acrylic rhinestones and Aleenes Jewel-it glue -- let dry for 24 hours before wearing and 7 to 10 days to cure before washing. You can also use a product called E6000 but I find the smell too toxic (causes an asthma attack).

Really important to let it dry and cure properly. I use this method on all my skating, dance, etc. costumes and my clients have been very, very happy with the final product.

------
Sheila
"sewing very slowly to fill an empty closet"

2014 Stash Busting Sew-Along:
106.625 yards sewn (as of 12/19/14)
145.125 yards purchased (as of 12/19/14)

Lynnelle
starstarstar
Lynnelle  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 4/8/07
Board Moderator
Send Message

In reply to christik <<

Date: 5/10/13 1:45 PM

I've used Sue's Sparklers with good success. I applied a cat design to the back pocket of a pair of jeans two years ago and have only had two crystals to fall off. When I shared this experience with someone from the company, I was told that it was possible the crystal didn't get enough heat from the iron. I put new crystals in the missing spot. I wash my jeans fairly often and haven't had a problem since then.

Edited to add: I also use her teflon sheet to apply the crystals.
-- Edited on 5/10/13 1:48 PM --

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 5/10/13 5:04 PM

I also use Aleene's Jewel-it, but my gowns don't go through the wash. Another ballroom dancer has said she puts her dresses in a pillowcase to wash so any lost crystals just fall off into the pillowcase.

E6000 is pretty nasty, but if done with good ventilation it should work and stay on forever. I know of a ballroom dancer who actually used it on a large crystal on her forehead and she lost a big patch of skin when her partner accidentally hit her with his elbow.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

Rainspa

Rainspa  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/1/07
Send Message

Date: 5/10/13 8:08 PM

I use the E6000 too, and ventalation is a MUST. The garments I use it on don't get washed, and it needs to dry for a couple of days.

------
I'm going to Costume College!

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to christik <<

Date: 5/10/13 10:17 PM

They actually do make sew on plastic crystals in chunky shapes with holes in them for your hand sewing thread to go though. Have seen those at Joann Fabrics sometimes. And they also make real metal based bases with real prongs to hold Reinstones, that are sewn on. And you do sew them on by hand. Those kind of Reinstones are rather expensive though, but if wanting them on something more classy than kids clothes, on grown up dress up clothes, they are much better and much more classy and better looking than some hot fix glue or iron on ones. I would not throw them into the washer and dryer though. Hand wash real carefully and hang to dry instead.

Hot clothes dryer and other clothes tumbling around in there with any of that stuff, is not all that great for glued and fused on decorations that stick out most times. Even if they say you can do that. So if you want something to last on there the very longest, no matter if you make it or buy it someplace, you might have to wash more separate and carefully.

Something with sewn in decoration with metallic or sparkly thread might be better, as to lasting on there longer. Also lots of shiny braids and trim you can buy by the yard and maybe sew on. All sorts of shiny and puffy fabric paints too, but again the more washed and worn and going though the regular laundry with everything else, probably the less better that stuff survives over just time, each time too.
-- Edited on 5/10/13 10:20 PM --

SheBear0320
starstar
SheBear0320  Friend of PR
Advanced
Manitoba Canada
Member since 4/8/08
online now
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 5/11/13 0:53 AM

I tell my clients that they can wash their items with glued crystals in the washing machine as long as they turn it inside out and place it inside a mesh laundry bag. Don't use fabric softener and don't allow the garment to soak in stain removers before washing.

Never in the dryer -- hang to dry or if the item is heavily crystalled, lay it flat to dry so the weight of the crystals don't stretch out the garment.

My clients have been using this method for years and have had great success -- and believe me those bodybuilding suits with the spray tan on them can be a real pain to get cleaned.

------
Sheila
"sewing very slowly to fill an empty closet"

2014 Stash Busting Sew-Along:
106.625 yards sewn (as of 12/19/14)
145.125 yards purchased (as of 12/19/14)

Cathy Loves Fabric
star
Cathy Loves Fabric  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 4/16/04
Send Message

In reply to christik <<

Date: 5/11/13 1:33 AM

I've washed my tops with bling applied by E6000 without any problems. It stays stuck.

------
My hope is to sew to the very end. They'll find my head slumped over my precious Kenmore 19606 and have to pry the seam ripper from my cold, dead hands.

christik
christik
Member since 12/14/06
Send Message

Date: 5/11/13 10:47 AM

Thanks everyone! Looks like I need to pick up some of the glues recommended and try them out.

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

Date: 5/13/13 8:32 PM

E6000 will stick just about ANYTHING.

At dance competitions there are so many E6000 set stones the whole dressing room smells like it. I can STILL smell that stuff if I close my eyes and think about it for a moment, and my girls haven't danced in 5 years! LOL!

It DOES work well, but still do lose stones off the costumes.

------
Cathryn

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Creative Sewing >> Bling application - permanent sparkles wanted

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

New Look 6071

photo
by: margy.64

Review
Petite Plus 603 Pattern

Petite Plus 603 Pattern

Buy Now
Victory Anouk Paper Pattern

Victory Anouk Paper Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.