SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Bernina Feetures ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Bernina Feetures
suesewserge
suesewserge
Member since 4/21/11
Send Message

Date: 5/13/13 1:30 PM

Just wondering if these books ever get updated or if they're a worthwhile purchase?
I know they have a wealth of information, but seems the "current" ones have been as is for some time (years?) and there's a lot of foot info on the Bernina site about each foot, what it does, videos etc.

I tend to grab books for reference so have wanted these for a long time, dealer nearest me is no longer going to carry Bernina so I might get a much better price but wonder if they're still a good investment? Thanks!

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

In reply to suesewserge <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/13/13 1:58 PM

I refer to mine all the time. I use it as a textbook for all my feet and their uses.

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

Sew Nanny
starstarstar
Sew Nanny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 8/13/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/13/13 4:50 PM

I have all three, but must admit to not looking at them very often. But, I'm glad I have them -- just in case.

------
Patricia
Bernina B780E ~ Bernina B380 ~ Juki MO-735
Bernina DesignerPlus 7

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." Eleanor Roosevelt

Barbara3
Barbara3  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 5/22/06
Send Message

Date: 5/13/13 5:23 PM

You can probably get similar information on the Bernina website videos available for each presser foot. Having the books is really mostly a convenience and it does seem quicker to use them than go watch a video. But I'm actually not sure I would buy them again because they are expensive and I rarely refer to them!

lelliebunny
star
lelliebunny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/24/12
Send Message

Date: 5/13/13 5:31 PM

i only have volumes 1 and 2 because i don't have a bernina that has coded feet. they are an awesome reference!

------
it doesn't matter what type of sewing you do. you are sewing, and sewing is good.

JanyceR
star
JanyceR  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 2/3/07
Send Message

Date: 5/13/13 7:06 PM

I use mine all the time. I think they are well worth the price. I much prefer something printed to refer to than having to look it up on the web. And as someone else said, the cross reference is awesome.

------
Pfaff Creative Sensation Pro, Bernina 780,
B350SE,other Berninas, Pfaff Performance 5, several vintage - multiple manufacturers.
Love all my machines!

Hauteaway
star
Hauteaway  Friend of PR
Beginner
California USA
Member since 9/5/10
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 5/14/13 4:06 AM

There is not as much information on the web as appears in the books. Specifically, for each foot the book demonstrates multiple applications of the foot, and lists other feet that might be appropriate for each application. (Because there might be people out there that don't want to "collect the whole set!" of feet.) On the web there is basic information about each foot and a short video of the foot being used, but as far as I've found, nothing about the various other applications of the foot. I have books 1 and 2 and use them when I'm using a foot for the first time or just curious about what else it is good for other than the application for which I purchased it.

------
YAN: Yet Another Nancy

ktsews2
ktsews2  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 2/22/05
Send Message

Date: 5/14/13 9:01 AM

The books are really valuable as a reference, since most of the feet can be used in other ways. You might try the site sewitsforsale for used copies, usually at a better price than the dealer.

Michele Lommasson
star
Michele Lommasson  Friend of PR
Advanced
New Mexico USA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 5/14/13 11:55 AM

I think they're a great idea. Information at your fingertips without having to dig around on the Internet.
I have also have a much older version. It's still very much worthwhile, as it outlines a variety of techniques.

------
Michele Lommasson

beth5646
star
beth5646
Intermediate
Oklahoma USA
Member since 2/8/05
Send Message

Date: 5/14/13 12:05 PM

I have had the books for over 10 years and they have been a valuable resource that I refer to often. In my opinion they are worth the money.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Bernina Feetures

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns
Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns

Class Details

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Class Details

Japanese Pattern Books Stylish Dress Book 1

photo
by: JustineSew...

Review
Studio Cherie 0000

photo
by: Pinkytoo

Review
Victoria Jones Collection 309 Womens' Long Dress

Victoria Jones Collection 309 Womens' Long Dress

More Info
Shapes Three Fold Vest Pattern

Shapes Three Fold Vest Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.