SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Beginner's Forum > diamond gusset crotch ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
diamond gusset crotch
yoga pants
Mishogawear
Mishogawear
Beginner
New York USA
Member since 2/23/13
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/13/13 4:21 PM

I have been trying to serge the gusset in to a pair of leggings. I've tried 3 pairs so far. For whatever reason I am having a very hard time with this. Is there a trick to this?

I know what I'm supposed to do and when I look at a RTW pair it seems like it would be simple.

Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Mishogawear <<

Date: 5/13/13 4:41 PM

May I ask what pattern you are using?

Mishogawear
Mishogawear
Beginner
New York USA
Member since 2/23/13
Send Message

In reply to Elona <<

Date: 5/13/13 4:49 PM

I actually modified my pattern. I manufacture a clothing line in California (I live on Long Island , NY). I inspected many pairs of yoga leggings. I actually snipped a diamond shape from my basic pair and re-attached them on my basic sewing machine. I then took apart the whole pair of leggings so I would have a modified pattern and made a paper pattern. I then proceeded to cut three pars out.

Been struggling with serging the last part of the gusset. Either I have a little space/hole, pinching, etc....

I just can't get it smooth.

I purchased a Kwik Sew pattern but they have a triangle crotch. I want the diamond

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
online now
Send Message

Date: 5/13/13 11:07 PM

When you reattched it with your regular sewing machine, did it go together OK?

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

Date: 5/13/13 11:34 PM

Here's a cute little tutorial with a gusset sewn in as a bird's breast,
Gusset in Bird

Do you see on the last picture that the only stitching is the actual seam - not one extra stitch.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 5/14/13 0:22 AM

I don't know how they do that and make it look nice, if there are actual 4 points on it. Most of the yoga pants leggings I have with the gusset they have kept the points going into the front and back seam, but the other two side points of the diamond, they instead just rounded off a bit, so they could overlock them in one fell swoop instead, straight across the inside leg seams.

I'm thinking they did that, on mine, as it's much tougher to stop and lift a pressure foot, then attempt to pivot anything on a overlocker compared to a sewing machine.

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to beauturbo <<

Date: 5/14/13 0:43 AM

Thank you, beauturbo! I just lost that part of the post

Yes, if you use the serger, round off the points that are at the inside of the legs first.

Here is another tutorial from Burda.
Gusset

I'd like to recommend that you sew a gusset in scrap fabric with your sewing machine first so you get a feel for the structure and will understand where you need to fold over points, fold points out of the way and trim and round off points.

The intersecting points of seam lines on the gusset are important and would typically be marked on patterns with large dots. Those large dots are key.

Once you practice on the sewing machine and are ready to try the serger consider hand basting instead of pinning for your first effort.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

Sewliz
star
Sewliz  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 6/22/04
Send Message

Date: 5/14/13 5:31 PM

I used to put gussets in my leggings/tights that I made for fitness wear. The gusset was an oval with points front and back, not a four pointed diamond shape. I would sew the inseams and then sew the gusset to one leg at the crotch. Then I would sew the entire center back seam to center front seam treating the unsewn edge of the gusset as part of the seam.

Tucking one leg inside the other before sewing that seam makes it easy. Thanks to a blogger here is a tutorial for that part.

------
Liz

thefittinglife.blogspot.com

Rosalaya
Rosalaya  Friend of PR
Beginner
Member since 11/20/12
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 5/15/13 0:12 AM

So,, I am usually 'retro-fitting' a gusset into trousers!! (But I can't see that my method can't be modified for your use.)
With that the CF and CB are/remain sewn and I just undo down the inner leg from the crotch about 15cm each side.
I then lightly press the gusset piece in half (across the short part).
Pin right sides together along one long side, with the short point going to the (say) CF seamline.
With the seam allowances turned up and away from you, Sew from the crotch point down to the end of the long point, running off the fabric edge. Cut threads, return to CF to sew the other leg. (still on the front) all the seam allowances turned up away from where you are to sew. Sew from the cf crotch point down to the long point, sewing off the fabric again. Press, flat then away from the gusset piece.
Sew the other side in a similar manner. This time when you get down to the pointy bit I just make sure that I am skimming past the other side of the stitching.
Press this side also. Then just check for gaps. If there are just fold the gusset in half, long ways, and sew the leg seam together back to the part where the point is.
Try this out with some pieces of fabric and pins - it may make much more sense then!!

Mishogawear
Mishogawear
Beginner
New York USA
Member since 2/23/13
Send Message

Date: 5/17/13 6:49 AM

Thank you so much for all the input. Very informative. Thank, thank, thank you.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> diamond gusset crotch

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Class Details

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Class Details

BurdaStyle Magazine 09-2012-106

photo
by: olgarosita

Review
Favorite Things Lounge Around Pattern

Favorite Things Lounge Around Pattern

More Info
Sew Liberated Lola and Lolita Aprons

Sew Liberated Lola and Lolita Aprons

More Info
Vogue Patterns 8865

photo
by: Sewlful

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.