SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Is this possible? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Is this possible?
1960s machine never used??
WantToSewAgain
WantToSewAgain
Advanced Beginner
CA USA
Member since 6/15/11
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/15/13 9:37 AM

I saw this ad in craigslist today (Sewing Machine). It says that it has never been used. I find that hard to believe. It looks like it is in good shape. So, I guess it is possible. What do you think?

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to WantToSewAgain <<

Date: 5/15/13 9:53 AM

Yes, absolutely possible. That FW looks to be in pristine condition, and for a celery in that condition, that's a fair price.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

easterbun
easterbun  Friend of PR
Advanced
TX USA
Member since 6/20/05
Send Message

Date: 5/15/13 10:41 AM

It is entirely possible if it was given as a gift back then that whoever received it just didn't use it, but still held on to it (case in point, my sister has had my old Elna sewing maching for the past 7 years, and has used it once in that time). I have my mom's featherweight and it's in pristine condition because she really babied it when she used it - she bought it new when she graduated from either high school or college in the 60's, so it's one of the "newer" ones at about 50 years old. I would expect an older FW to be in rougher shape.

hese61

hese61
Advanced
FINLAND
Member since 9/21/05
Send Message

Date: 5/15/13 10:48 AM

Look that bag, so clean and without any flaws. I would buy it, there's no doubt about it

JUNIPERJUNE
JUNIPERJUNE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
QC CANADA
Member since 7/20/12
Send Message

Date: 5/15/13 11:12 AM

My mother had a singer that she never used. She threw it out (without my knowing!) I believe she received it as a wedding gift. Many women received sewing machines as gifts, whether they sewed or not.
This being said, it is posted on line, take it with a grain of salt. I can say whatever I want in an ad.
-- Edited on 5/15/13 11:13 AM --

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

Date: 5/15/13 11:45 AM

How long do you think this machine will last before it is sold?

------
I really enjoy quilting. I love to play with fabrics, colors and pictures. I recently discovered how much fun applique can be. As I love making pictures, landscape quilting can be challenging, but seeing the picture come to life is so rewarding.
Bernina 630, my main machine
Pfaff 2036, my class machine
Babylock Molly
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

ajoseph
ajoseph  Friend of PR
Member since 10/10/12
Send Message

In reply to WantToSewAgain <<

Date: 5/15/13 11:54 AM

yes. extremely possible. i have purchased several machines(and other things) over the years, brand new from shops that i have never taken out of their boxes(for various reasons). i have one on PR now. impulse purchase. never out of the box. the picture u posted shows the machine threaded, so someone did use it. if even just for testing.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/15/13 11:54 AM

Quote: LynnRowe
Yes, absolutely possible. That FW looks to be in pristine condition, and for a celery in that condition, that's a fair price.

Celery? Are you using Kindle by any chance? Mine "thinks" it knows what I want to type!!!

Something is just not right with this offer.

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 5/15/13 11:59 AM

Celery for color. It looks white until you put something white next to it.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

Jennifer Hill
star
Jennifer Hill
Advanced
AB CANADA
Member since 4/11/02
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<

Date: 5/15/13 12:39 PM

Ya know, I just call these FWs WHITE. For all intents and purposes, they look white to me. Most white objects are probably not purely white, but their tints won't show up until compared side-by-side with something that is. So, it you painted your walls or ceiling the same colour as this FW, most folks would read that colour as white.

I'm always reminded of the song Curly sings in Oklahoma! about his surrey with the fringe on the top. He says his team of white horses aren't really a matched pair, because "One's like snow, the other's more like milk."

BTW, Singer's name for this colour of FW was "pale turquoise."

Jennifer in Calgary

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Is this possible?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Stretch & Sew 1276

photo
by: dakotasews

Review
Australian Smocking & Embroidery Magazine 99-2012-34

photo
by: Ejegmama

Review
SewBaby Prairie Bonnet Pattern

SewBaby Prairie Bonnet Pattern

Buy Now
You Sew Girl Hobo Pattern

You Sew Girl Hobo Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.