SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Contest Discussions > 2013 Jeans Contest! ( Moderated by JEF)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
2013 Jeans Contest!
June 1- 30, 2013
crazygrad
star
crazygrad  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 11/11/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/15/13 1:46 PM

This is crazygrad, and I'll be your batman for the Jeans Contest! Woohoo! Whether you want the Jordache look, dream to have nothing come between you and your Calvins, or you remember the elaborate pocket art and painted legs of the jeans of the '80s, the Jeans contest is your chance to teach Gloria a thing or two!

2013 Jeans Contest
Jeans Contest
June 1 June 30, 2013

This contest is to make a pair of jeans for yourself or someone else. For the purposes of this contest, we will define jeans as trousers made out of denim (see definition of denim in rules). You can sew any type of two legged, long jeans of such as the traditional five-pocket jeans, skinny jeans, slouchy jeans, or trouser jeans. Ultimately, your jeans will be judged on how well they fit given the style, how nicely they are sewn and the special details you add to make them stand out from the crowd. Jeans can look a lot alike, so focus your efforts on making your jeans special.
For lots of great tips on sewing jeans, please consult the jeans thread. Many thanks to CabinBaby for condensing the lengthy original jeans thread!
Click Here for Link to Jeans thread
The rules for this contest:

Make a pair of jeans that fits the spirit of the description above.
Your jeans can be any color of the rainbow, however, they must be made out of denim.
You may use stretch or non-stretch denim; however, the fabric must be woven and the lycra content can be no more than 5%.
Denim definition (from Wikipedia): Denim is a rugged cotton twill textile, in which the weft passes under two (twi- "double") or more warp threads. This twill weaving produces the familiar diagonal ribbing of the fabric, which distinguishes denim from cotton duck. It is characteristic of any indigo denim that only the warp threads are dyed, whereas the weft threads remain plain white. As a result of the warp-faced twill weaving, one side of the fabric shows the blue warp threads, the other side shows the white weft threads. This is why jeans are white on the inside and what makes denim's fading characteristics unique compared to every other fabric.
Not allowed in this contest: skirts, overalls, rompers, capris, shorts, dresses, bathing suits, etc. Ankle length or traditional length pant legs are allowed.
Additional fabric may be used for embellishment (e.g. flannel lining, pocket lining, leather trim, etc.)
You must take a minimum of 3 photos for this contest. We would like to see the front of the jeans and the back of the jeans when worn. We would also like to see at least one photo of a special detail you added to your jeans, such as topstitching, embroidery, rivets, etc. A composition photo is helpful but not required.
Self-drafted or commercial patterns are allowed. Combinations of multiple patterns or self-drafted and commercial patterns are allowed.
Jeans may be for women, men, or children but doll clothes are not allowed.
Entrants are encouraged to submit photos on live model because fit is a key criteria for voting, however, entries that are not on live models will be allowed.
First and second place winners will be selected through a vote open to members of PR. Voters should select the entry that has the best fit. Quality of construction and evaluation of how well the entry meets the guidelines of this contest should also be taken into consideration when voting.
All cutting of the fabric and sewing can only be done from June 1 - June 30th at 11.59 EST . You may, however, pre-wash fabric, work on muslins, and cut pattern pieces before June 1st.
Voting will begin after a 2-day administrative period to resolve any review issues after the contest closes and will close 7 days after voting starts. Thus, voting for this contest will begin on July 3 and close on July 9 at 11.59 EST.

General Rules for all Contests

All reviews must be entered for submission by 11:59 PM Eastern Time on the last day of the contest. It is suggested to start your review as a Work In Progress (private or public) so that you can get any bugs ironed out prior to the deadline. Although Contest Managers and Contest Committee will help with technical issues, they may not be available at the end of the contest so be sure to allow adequate time to post your entry before the contest ends.

Fabric may be pretreated before the start of the contest.

Patterns MAY be muslined prior to the start of this contest however; fabric for contest garment may NOT be cut prior to the start of the contest.

Items intended for sale, or for which you were or will be paid to make, do not qualify for any contest, but items made for charity are welcome.

Unless otherwise stated in the rules, all reviews written for a contest entry must include a picture of the entry, preferably on a live model.

Interpretation of rules is subject to the discretion of the contest manager and the contest committee.

Contest Eligibility:

***Rule #1 is changed for 2013
Any member of Pattern Review, either paying (FoPR) or non-paying, who is a registered member on the site before the contest begins is eligible to enter.

Any member of Pattern Review, either paying (FoPR) or non-paying, who's been a registered member on the site for 90 days prior to the end of a contest is eligible to vote in a contest.

Any member who's won first place in a contest on Pattern Review that ended in the previous four-month period is ineligible to win another contest (during that four-month period).For this contest, first-place winners from the following contests are NOT eligible to win:
Natural Fabrics
Accessory Challenge
2013 Pantone Colors
Pattern Stash
Fitted Blouse
Home Dec Challenge
RTW Designer Knockoff
Handbag

Voting Guidelines:

The first, second and third place winners will be decided by member vote. Prizes will be awarded to the first and second place winners.

Each member can vote on up to five entries.

Because of the high quality of the garments we're seeing entered in PR Contests, we're setting forth some guidelines that may help you choose when voting. Consider how well the entry fulfills each of the following criteria in order to narrow down your votes:
Does the garment clearly reflect the pattern's line drawing?
How well does the garment fit the criteria stated in the contest rules? How well does it fit the spirit of the rules?
Are the construction methods, including but not limited to seam finishes, lining techniques, etc, well suited to the design? To the fabric?
Is the fabric choice well suited to the design? Are the lining and interfacing choices appropriate?
Is the review complete and well written?
Taking into account the stated ability level of the entrant, how well does the garment fit?
Creative points. You may choose to give extra credit here for an entry that reflects additional creativity (embellishment, fabric choice, etc.) while staying within the nature of the original pattern.
Complexity of the project. Relate this to the skill level of the participant. If a participant is a beginner then a princess seam may get the same complexity level as an underarm gusset gets for an advanced sewer. This is purely subjective, but a complex garment might garner more points than a simple one if a tie-breaker is needed

Prizes
Sponsored by StyleArc

First: $100 Gift Certificate
Second: $50 Gift Certificate
-- Edited on 5/15/13 3:11 PM --

crazygrad
star
crazygrad  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 11/11/07
Send Message

Date: 5/15/13 1:49 PM

This second post will be used to collect contest questions and rules clarifications as they come up. I'll do my best to both reply to the original post and add the question and answer to this cache as soon as I have replies from the Contest Committee.

Question 1:
My fabric has a weave that doesn't seem to be a standard denim weave. Can I still use it for the contest? (For more details on how this question came up, including a photo of a fabric in question, please advance to page 4 of this thread.)
Answer: Whether or not a fabric that isn't a true denim weave can still be suitable in this Contest will depend on the fabric and the discretion of the Sewist/Sewista. Ask yourself:
Was the fabric marketed, sold, or displayed as a denim?
Does the fabric feel, work as, or behave like a denim?
If you answer YES to at least 1 of those questions, the fabric can be used in this Contest. Please make sure you discuss how this fabric works as a denim in your review.

Question 2:
I have a stretch denim, but I have no idea what the lycra percentage is! Can I use it?
Answer: If you don't know how much lycra is in the fabric, please use your discretion for its suitability. The goal of this Contest is to make Jeans, not "jeggings." Jeggings (may) have their place in this world, but they aren't part of this Contest.

-- Edited on 5/15/13 1:52 PM
-- Edited on 6/4/13 9:08 AM --
-- Edited on 6/4/13 9:15 AM --

crazygrad
star
crazygrad  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 11/11/07
Send Message

Date: 5/15/13 1:59 PM

This post will serve as a collection point for inspiration, such as this wikipedia article. Denim, with pics!

Or this video... even though the special features here don't conform to the rules.

Or a pic, like these Old Navy star print jeans.
oldnavystar

Or of details, like this ankle detail from Mother (from Saks)
motheranklezip
-- Edited on 5/15/13 2:09 PM --

More inspiration-- classic '80s jeans ads!

Do you remember Chic?

-- Edited on 5/30/13 4:18 PM --
-- Edited on 5/30/13 4:20 PM --

crazygrad
star
crazygrad  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 11/11/07
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 5/15/13 2:19 PM

Here's a special inspiration post. This is from season 4 of Project Runway. The contestants had to make a garment using Levi's jeans. This pair, by Christian Siriano (who won the season), didn't win the challenge, but they are a marvel of details.

The general look:ChristianSiriano_Episode9_0

Here, an ankle detail
ankledetail
Here, the back leg (from jacket sleeves!)
backview

Sew Whatever
star
Sew Whatever  Friend of PR
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 5/24/10
Send Message

In reply to crazygrad <<

Date: 5/19/13 9:39 AM

The sleeve cuffs on the bottom are very interesting. I can't quite tell, but have they basically added sleeves to the trouser leg from just above the knee?

------
Sandy in the UK
A practitioner of the Chop, Chop, Sew, Sew method of sewing
(otherwise known as Make It Up in Your Head!)

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

Date: 5/19/13 4:38 PM

I have a good fitting jeans pattern so this is tailor made for me to actually enter.
I saw a pair with a side panel in a denim print that was interesting. A wide printed ribbon might work. It looked like it was overlaid on the side seam, not seamed in as you can see the side seam imprint underneath.

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

Sew Confused
star
Sew Confused
Intermediate
Member since 7/13/07
Send Message

In reply to Sew Whatever <<

Date: 5/20/13 1:02 AM

Yes, If memory serves, that's exactly what he did. Can you believe the model's legs were skinny enough to fit in a sleeve?!?

------
Paula

"In Seattle you haven't had enough coffee until you can thread a sewing machine while it's running."
- Jeff Bezos, Amazon.com founder

Visit my blog at www.sewconfused.blogspot.com

velosewer
starstarstarstar
velosewer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Australia
Member since 11/11/06
Send Message

In reply to crazygrad <<

Date: 5/21/13 1:24 AM

Now that is clever and stylish.

------
Alias - velogiant;http://cleverthinking99.com/
Fabric wakes me up. I'm a Minerva Sewing blogger. I pattern test for Pattern Review.

Sew Whatever
star
Sew Whatever  Friend of PR
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 5/24/10
Send Message

In reply to Sew Confused <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/21/13 5:18 AM

Wow!
As I have farm girl calves, I will have to draft shirt cuffs on the hems of my trews!
edit: in fact it might mean I could do skinny jeans. (skinnier as skinny doesn't ever quanitify my clothing ) Even when I try to make them thinner, when I sit down, the lower leg rides up, gets stuck on my calves and stays when I stand up.
-- Edited on 5/21/13 5:21 AM --

------
Sandy in the UK
A practitioner of the Chop, Chop, Sew, Sew method of sewing
(otherwise known as Make It Up in Your Head!)

Sew Confused
star
Sew Confused
Intermediate
Member since 7/13/07
Send Message

In reply to Sew Whatever <<

Date: 5/21/13 2:37 PM

I'm the proud possessor of what my (ex) husband once called tree stumps. At the time, I weighed 110 pounds. So I can relate

------
Paula

"In Seattle you haven't had enough coffee until you can thread a sewing machine while it's running."
- Jeff Bezos, Amazon.com founder

Visit my blog at www.sewconfused.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Contest Discussions >> 2013 Jeans Contest!

Merchants on PR

Victoria Jones Collection

Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

The Technique of Underlining Garments
The Technique of Underlining Garments

Register

Simplicity 2475

photo
by: wendlesue

Review
Simplicity 1919

photo
by: MissParayi...

Review
Sew Liberated Woodlands Shirt

Sew Liberated Woodlands Shirt

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Clara Dress Pattern

Sew Liberated Clara Dress Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.