SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Techniques and Tips > best buttonhole chisel to purchase? ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
best buttonhole chisel to purchase?
looking to UPGRAYDD my buttonholing
kellyhogaboom
star
kellyhogaboom
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 10/3/04
Send Message

Date: 5/16/13 1:27 AM

I am ready for my buttonholes to look even better. I use my Singer buttonhole contraption (on my 1950 machines) and love it for fine fabrics, heavy coats - you name it. But I was always opening the buttonhole up with a seam ripper and I know that's not right.

So, with that in mind - what is the best buttonhole chisel to use? My current (unopened) buttonholes are 3/8" but I am usually doing 5/8" buttonholes.

I am also wondering if anyone adds any kind of fray check or anything to add to buttonhole strength. Really, any buttonhole tips are welcome!

Thank you!

minggiddylooloo
star
minggiddylooloo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 5/17/05
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/16/13 8:38 AM

My friend and I just purchased a couple of pairs of these English buttonhole scissors:

Purl Soho

(We shared an order to get a slightly better shipping deal than ordering from Merchant and Mills in England).

I haven't used them on any projects yet but our tailoring teacher had a vintage one just like it.

I have used the smallest rotary cutters (16mm?) to start the first cut on buttonholes, as well as scissors. I think I tried using seam rippers before but they can be a little unwieldy and I need as much precision as possible.

I have a chisel in my toolbox but I don't actually remember the last time I took it out. I bought it at the Bunka Fashion school in Tokyo but I think it is made by Clover.

------
I'm finally a blogger!
sewming.blogspot.com

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

Date: 5/16/13 9:28 AM

I use an x-acto knife.

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

rivergum
starstarstar
rivergum
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 12/17/06
Send Message

In reply to marec <<

Date: 5/16/13 10:36 AM

Quote: marec
I use an x-acto knife.

What a great idea! Why didn't I think of that?

------
Taking in is happier than letting out.

Sydney, Australia

kellyhogaboom
star
kellyhogaboom
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 10/3/04
Send Message

Date: 5/16/13 1:43 PM

Both great ideas. I am laughing at the buttonhole scissors and thinking how my kids would IMMEDIATELY be wanting to grab those up & use them for papercrafting.

Thank you for your feedback!

TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 9/21/07
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 5/16/13 2:32 PM

I use one from Clover that looks like this. I am a klutz and it's just too easy to cut the bar tack with other methods...

------
Tess

On threadpainting flowers: "How many colors are in a flower? ... How many do you have?" - Ellen Anne Eddy

solosmocker
starstarstar
solosmocker
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 1/23/06
online now
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 5/16/13 7:26 PM

I use a buttonhole chisel. You don't need to get different sizes. Get one with it's own little cutting board and for larger buttonholes let half the buttonhole hang off the side of the little cutting board and cut what's on top the board. Turn the fabric around and do the other side.

I make my BHs. Then I fray check heavily the backs of them, enough to soak the whole buttonhole. Then I iron them dry from the back if in a hurry. Once dry I use my chisel and cut. They don't fray and are cut just right with that little chisel. It actually makes sort of a clicking noise when it goes completely through all the layers.
-- Edited on 5/16/13 7:26 PM --

------
http://lasewist.blogspot.com/

RMJ
star
RMJ  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 12/14/06
Send Message

Date: 5/16/13 7:35 PM

I have buttonhole scissors that my grandmother gave me at least 40 years ago. I think they may be different from those linked above. They have a gap in the blades so that you cut from the edge of the fabric but only cut the hole (I don't think I'm explaining well).
-- Edited on 5/16/13 7:40 PM --

HeyJane
star
HeyJane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
PA USA
Member since 5/18/05
Send Message

Date: 5/16/13 8:05 PM

I also use the Clover buttonhole chisel. And I usually use a magnifying glass to position it so I can really, really tell exactly where it's going to cut. I would never trust myself to cut with scissors, but I'm sure that's just me and eyesight that's not good enough.

goosegreen
starstarstar
goosegreen  Friend of PR
Advanced
NSW
Member since 1/9/05
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/17/13 1:50 AM

I do what solosmocker does. Just be careful with Fray Check on black fabric as it turns white-ish when dry.

------
Alison in suburbia - Sydney Australia
My sewing blog: http://nosilasews.blogspot.com/

Keeper of the flock - Janome MC8000, Janome MC4900QC, Elna Elina 40, Husqvarna Rose, Janome DC2101, Singer 201K, Elna Contessa, Janome My Excel 18W, Janome 634D & 534D overlockers, Janome Coverpro 1000CPX.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Techniques and Tips >> best buttonhole chisel to purchase?

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns

Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

The City Bag

The City Bag

Buy Now
SewBaby Snap Happy Diaper Covers Pattern

SewBaby Snap Happy Diaper Covers Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.