Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Sewing Machines > Juki box feed vs Pfaff IDT ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Juki box feed vs Pfaff IDT
lkatariina
lkatariina
Advanced Beginner
ESTONIA
Member since 3/7/13
Login to reply to this post

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 5/16/13 2:17 AM

I had my mind set up to by the Juki F600 but then have second thoughts about Pfaff and its famous IDT. I am looking for a sm for garment sewing and an occasional home deco project - no plans for quilting or FMQ and no interest whatsoever in embroidery. The higher end Pfaffs with their 9mm feet are not so convenient for garment sewing, so I am looking at Pfaff's Ambition line (ambition 1.5 or 1.0) where they have 7mm feet. None of Ambition line models has knee lever nor auto thread cutter, the latter being especially tempting for me.

So I am asking for your opinion: is the IDT really so much better a feeding system as to compensate all the bells and whistles I wuold loose letting go the Juki F600? Has anyone compared the IDT and Jukis box feed on difficult fabrics like knits, lycra, chiffon?
Appreciate every input!
Katariina

easterbun
easterbun  Friend of PR
Advanced
TX USA
Member since 6/20/05

Date: 5/16/13 7:00 AM

If you are looking primarily for basic garment and home decor sewing you might consider the passport - while marketed as a portable machine it's a few hundred dollars cheaper than the Juki or Ambition 1.0 and still a very capable machine.

LindaBee58
LindaBee58
ITALY
Member since 7/10/09

thumbsup 2 members like this.
Date: 5/16/13 7:48 AM

I've got both the Pfaff IDT and the Juki F600.
The Juki F series feeds fabric far better than the IDT of Pfaff.
The walking foot of the Juki is fantastic too.
The Juki tackles heavy tough fabrics with ease where the Pfaff often stops.
I love Pfaff machines too even if I find they are quite noisy now a days. The Deco stitches on the Pfaffs are gorgous nicer than the Juki ones.
I would say the Juki F600 if needed only for sewing.
For a combined embroidery and sewing machine, the Pfaff Creative Performance.

jayl65
jayl65
Expert/Couture
NM USA
Member since 9/7/08

In reply to lkatariina <<

Date: 5/16/13 8:19 AM

Im in your same boat. Ive been looking for a new machine for a few years actually. I cant be sold on any of them. I love Berninas and Pfaffs, and sew on an industrial Juki straight stitch everyday. But I still need a great home sewing machine. I have on older Pfaff 2020 that I adore and it has served me well over the years but it has gotten tired and now sounds like it is running on deisel fuel. I have been afraid of the new pfaffs since it was bought out by singer or whoever purchased them. I think the TOL machines may be great but hesitate to spend thousands. I love the idt feature. It allows me to sew silk velvet without pinning to much. I also don't have to hand baste using this feature. I really love the specs of the Juki f-600 but none of the dealers in my area have one. I don't want to buy one without testing it. Im very picky and only sew garments as you do and dislike many of the specs of quilters machines. I don't want to end up with a machine I wont sew on. I tested a Babylock Quest Plus years ago and it was ok. It had the IDT since the patent had expired. I did'nt like it ramped up the speed as you began to sew. There was no way to bypass this and at the time it was a deal breaker for me. Now Im thinking that it may not have been such a bad option. Ive been looking for a Babylock Quest Plus or Babylock Serenade. They both have the feature set I like but I still think the feed dog width may be to wide. I also recently tested a Bernina 750QE. It also sounded promising. But it was a no go for me. The buttonholes were horrible and none in the store could tell me a thing. Meanwhile this is the largest Bernina dealer in the state. But everyone there are quilters and they have stars in their eyes for all of the quilting features and love the machines. I may break down a buy a Juki f-600 without testing it but as of now there are no options. I have also thought about sacrificing the auto cut and buying an older Pfaff that I know is a great machine like the 1222E or the 7550 or 7570. Actually any of them that were made in Germany. Instead of saying German engineering. Good luck and keep us posted on your decision.

svetlana
star
svetlana  Friend of PR
Intermediate
IL USA
Member since 12/30/06

Date: 5/16/13 8:40 AM

I admit my only experience with IDT is with machines I used in my one and only quilting class. It was okay but drove me nuts because it was so big! I have the Juki f600 and find that the box feed works well. I do not have to do much guiding, as the material feeds thru smooth and straight. I can get by with no pins or very few when I am feeling sassy. The button holes are the best. I admit did not make button holes on the Pfaff, but they are much improved over my Brother NX400. The main reason I got this machine was for the button holes.

------
Svetlana

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/09

In reply to svetlana <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 5/16/13 8:55 AM

IDT is very small single foot right behind the needle. I suspect if you had something that was "very big" it was a walking foot attachment. I dislike walking feet, and love Pfaff's IDT.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

Diahn
star
Diahn  Friend of PR
Advanced
TN USA
Member since 6/27/05

Date: 5/16/13 9:41 AM

I used to dislike walking feet, too, because I felt they were too big compared to Pfaff's IDT. After years of sewing with my Pfaff 7570, I became disillusioned with that tiny arm behind the presser foot. It just wasn't enough muscle to balance all the pressure from the feed dogs. The Juki walking foot, on the other hand, matches the foot print exactly, and combined with the box feed, provides perfectly even feeding like no other machine I've seen.

When I first bought the Juki F600 (sight unseen), I tested it out on some Ambiance lining against my Pfaff and Bernina. Not only were the stitches nicer looking, but the feeding was so much better; and that was just with the box feed on its own. I recently discovered the walking foot (which I had all along since it was standard with the F600). For some reason I had it in my mind that it was cumbersome and would get in the way, but to my pleasant surprise, it didn't at all.

------
http://seamslikeparadise.blogspot.com/

LindaBee58
LindaBee58
ITALY
Member since 7/10/09

Date: 5/16/13 10:40 AM

I completely agree with Diahn.
The Juki F600 feeds fabric like no other machine I have owned and tried.
It is also a very quiet machine.
The new Pfaffs are noisy and vibrate when at full speed. The Juki doesn't.

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/09

In reply to LindaBee58 <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 5/16/13 10:46 AM

My PCP is very quiet and doesn't vibrate at all. I haven't tried any of the other newer Pfaffs other than the Creative Sensation, and I found it, too, very quiet. I don't know about vibration with embroidery on the CS as I didn't try that.

I've heard lots of good things about the Juki F600, glad everyone's so happy with theirs.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
NC USA
Member since 2/17/06

In reply to LynnRowe <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 5/16/13 11:24 AM

My PCP doesn't vibrate either, even when I used the embroidery unit on the shelf in my table that raises up and down. I didn't feel like moving it to do the embroidery, and I was expecting it to. (My creative 4 does) I was pleasantly surprised.

I have never used a Juki, but I have used various Pfaff's to sew chiffon, silk and polyester, and embroidered lace, and beaded and sequined lace, sequined lycra spandex, and all kinds of satin in just about every weight and finish imaginable, and the IDT handles it perfectly and makes matching up the patterns in the seams on the lace flawless.

------
Cathryn

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Juki box feed vs Pfaff IDT

Merchants on PR
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
Web site
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!
Elliott Berman Textiles
Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Online Sewing Classes
Altering Pants
Fee: $19.99
(Regular $59.00)
Altering Pants

Vogue Patterns 8789
photo
Review by Cristinagf on 8/11/12
Read Review

You Sew Girl Flat Cap Digital Pattern
You Sew Girl Flat Cap Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $11.50
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Liesl + Co. Cappuccino Dress & Tunic Digital Pattern
Liesl + Co. Cappuccino Dress & Tunic Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $12.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue Patterns 1312 Misses Dress
photo
Review by Sewmuchcra... on 10/7/13
Read Review

Sewing Workshop Now & Zen Shirts Pattern
Sewing Workshop Now & Zen Shirts Pattern

Details
Price: $22.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

ADVANCED SLEEVE - A CD Book by Kenneth King
ADVANCED SLEEVE - A CD Book by Kenneth King

Details
Price: $24.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue 8651 Pattern ( Size XSM-SML-MED )
Vogue 8651 Pattern ( Size XSM-SML-MED )

Details
Price: $22.50
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Butterick 5589 Pattern( Size )
Butterick 5589 Pattern( Size  )

Details
Price: $13.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN