SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Creative Sewing > Microwave Bowl Potholder ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Microwave Bowl Potholder
For the kitchen
Helen in CO
Helen in CO  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
CO USA
Member since 4/6/12
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 5/16/13 10:27 AM

A friend in sewing group pointed me to this these instructions.

I've made about a dozen for friends and family. They're made with 100% cotton batting, thread and fabric so they're microwave safe.

Here is the first one I made. After this one I started using FMQ instead of just the X design to secure the batting. My friend said that with just the sewn X they can come out puffy after they're laundered.

We don't often microwave soup to reheat it. But even heating it in a sauce pan makes the bowl full of soup hot to handle. But not when it's cradled in one of these.

They sew up very fast. I like quick projects like these where I can use up fabrics and have fun mixing up the designs for the two pieces required.

SunnyAlta
SunnyAlta
Intermediate
Member since 7/11/10
Send Message

Date: 5/16/13 10:35 AM

Thanks for posting! I know of several people who NEED one!

KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
MI USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/16/13 10:43 AM

Love it. Might be nice housewarming gifts to have on hand

Sew Confused
star
Sew Confused
Intermediate
Member since 7/13/07
Send Message

Date: 5/16/13 11:52 PM

What is FMQ?

------
Paula

"In Seattle you haven't had enough coffee until you can thread a sewing machine while it's running."
- Jeff Bezos, Amazon.com founder

Visit my blog at www.sewconfused.blogspot.com

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Sew Confused <<

Date: 5/17/13 0:27 AM

free motion quilting, is machine quilting not in a pattern

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

Lizz
star
Lizz  Friend of PR
Advanced
TN USA
Member since 10/10/03
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 5/22/13 2:43 PM

How about posting this great idea in the topic "Starting Christmas Sewing Early" ? It would be a super there. Thanks.

Sewinglady1947
Sewinglady1947
Advanced
Member since 4/28/08
Send Message

Date: 5/22/13 4:04 PM

I just ordered some batting, and I can't wait to make some

------
sewing grammy

landstromd
landstromd  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
IL USA
Member since 2/18/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/30/13 10:16 PM

I know that I am late in responding to this post, but it is interesting to me that I paid for this pattern, yet here it is free. These are GREAT gifts, I've made one for everyone at my school and they cannot get over how amazing it is to FINALLY not burn your hands in lifting bowls out of the microwave.
One caution, you really should use totally 100% cotton batting (I found really only available online) and 100% cotton fabric and thread. I did a trial using poly combo and the thing caught on fire!

Helen in CO
Helen in CO  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
CO USA
Member since 4/6/12
Send Message

In reply to landstromd <<

Date: 5/31/13 7:14 PM

Quote: landstromd
I know that I am late in responding to this post, but it is interesting to me that I paid for this pattern, yet here it is free. These are GREAT gifts, I've made one for everyone at my school and they cannot get over how amazing it is to FINALLY not burn your hands in lifting bowls out of the microwave.

One caution, you really should use totally 100% cotton batting (I found really only available online) and 100% cotton fabric and thread. I did a trial using poly combo and the thing caught on fire!

Hi landstomd,

Yes, it's important to follow the instruction to use 100% fabric, batting and thread. I used 100% cotton batting that I found at JoAnn's and it was fine. I saw bags of batting there that said it was microwave safe. So far so good.

I've been particularly careful to use fabrics that I bought in recent years since I used to like sewing with poly-cotton blends in the past. I've been tempted to use up some of my old fabrics but resisted since I wasn't absolutely sure if they were blends or not.

Sewinglady1947
Sewinglady1947
Advanced
Member since 4/28/08
Send Message

Date: 6/5/13 8:23 AM

I made one and it is such a great item. I will have to order cotton thread as I can't find it around here. It will be my main gifts for showers and especially Christmas. Thanks for posting this.

------
sewing grammy

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Creative Sewing >> Microwave Bowl Potholder

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 07-2010-142

photo
by: Renren

Review
Jennifer Stern The Perfectly Fitted Shirt by the Cup-Full Pattern ( Size 6-14(Cup A-DD) )

Jennifer Stern The Perfectly Fitted Shirt by the Cup-Full Pattern ( Size 6-14(Cup A-DD) )

Buy Now
SewBaby Fleece-Easy Baby Wardrobe Pattern

SewBaby Fleece-Easy Baby Wardrobe Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.