SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Fabric.com's "Perfecto Fused Leather -- 100% Cowhide" ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Fabric.com's "Perfecto Fused Leather -- 100% Cowhide"
Soft, supple, convincing -- but it isn't leather!
nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
Alabama USA
Member since 12/3/05
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 5/17/13 9:32 PM

Last week, I noticed that fabric.com was now offering Perfecto Fused Leather in five colors. The listing said it was soft, supple, made of 100% cowhide, 54" wide, reorderable, and only $15 per yard.

It sounded too good to be true -- after all, real leather comes in hides not fabric rolls. But I turned off my skepticism for a moment and began thinking there might be some new leather cloning process I hadn't heard about. After all, if they're human embryos and Dolly the Sheep, why not Elsie the Cow?

My swatch arrived today, and the Perfecto Leather is actually quite convincing -- soft and supple with very realistic grain -- but it doesn't have a molecule of cowhide in it. I did an online search and discovered it's actually polyurethane. Here's the listing for Perfecto Faux Leather from Hart Fabrics. I believe they're one and the same.

The bottom line is if you're searching for a soft and realistic faux leather for a good price, Perfecto Leather is a great choice. But don't think you're getting cowhide.

-- Edited on 5/17/13 9:34 PM --

------
No sewing project is ever a complete success nor a total failure.

Sew Confused
star
Sew Confused
Intermediate
Member since 7/13/07
Send Message

Date: 5/17/13 10:08 PM

Are you sure that fused leather and faux leather are the same thing? The description for the fused leather on fabric.com's website says the fused leather has a 100% cowhide face bonded to a rayon backing. That's false advertising if it's not true.

------
Paula

"In Seattle you haven't had enough coffee until you can thread a sewing machine while it's running."
- Jeff Bezos, Amazon.com founder

Visit my blog at www.sewconfused.blogspot.com

beth5646
star
beth5646  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oklahoma USA
Member since 2/8/05
Send Message

Subject: Fabric.coms Perfecto Fused Leather -- 100% Cowhide Date: 5/17/13 10:24 PM

Very interesting. Thanks for the post. I think I will have to try this myself. What color did you get?

nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
Alabama USA
Member since 12/3/05
Send Message

In reply to Sew Confused <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/18/13 8:28 AM

The fabric.com listing is wrong. Real leather is not sold by the yard in a continuous role. Real leather is sold in hides. The swatch I received is a polyurethane faux leather with a rayon backing -- it is not made of cowhide.

------

nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
Alabama USA
Member since 12/3/05
Send Message

In reply to beth5646 <<

Date: 5/18/13 8:31 AM

The swatch I received was the Gunmetal Gray, which has a slight metallic finish. However, the fabric I ordered yesterday is the Black, which has a matte finish.

By the way, I recommend that you order a swatch first so you'll know exactly what you're getting.

------

Deepika
starstarstarstar
Deepika  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Massachusetts USA
Member since 11/28/01
Founder
Send Message

Subject: Fabric.coms Perfecto Fused Leather -- 100% Cowhide Date: 5/18/13 8:34 AM

sounds very similar to what I bought from Stonemountain in California at the PR Weekend. Its faux leather but super soft and very leather like. The back is soft knit so it has a little bit of stretch. It really nice.

------
- Deepika
Founder, PatternReview.com
Blog: http://www.deepikablogs.com

vacarisella
vacarisella
Intermediate
Member since 4/11/09
Send Message

In reply to nancy2001 <<

Date: 5/18/13 9:00 AM

Nancy, Thank you for this info. I just ordered samples of all 5 colors! ~Valerie

mmack66
mmack66
Intermediate
Member since 5/7/13
Send Message

Subject: Fabric.coms Perfecto Fused Leather -- 100% Cowhide Date: 5/18/13 10:10 AM

Looks like two different products, though the Fused Leather is likely something like Bonded leather, since it is not possible to have a continuous roll of cowhide.

So the Fused leather may well be ground up 100% cowhide mixed with some medium to create a unified piece.

sewme47
star
sewme47
Intermediate
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

In reply to nancy2001 <<

Date: 5/18/13 2:08 PM

Nancy, this product sounds so interesting. Do you think it would be appropriate for making bags? A little bit of "give" would be ok, but I wouldn't want it to be too stretchy. I like to make satchel and hobo shaped purses, as well as tote bags.

nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
Alabama USA
Member since 12/3/05
Send Message

In reply to sewme47 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/18/13 3:01 PM

Yes. The product is very interesting. It looks and feels like a good quality soft leather. I plan to use it to sew a woven "leather" handbag similar to this Bottega Veneta hobo bag. One advantage to weaving the fabric is that this gives an extra layer of durability and strength.

As far as the stretch goes, you can always "kill" the stretch by fusing the backing to another layer of interfacing. That's what I plan to do. When I separated a bit of the "leather" from the backing (and it wasn't easy to do), I was able to stretch the unbacked piece to about three or four times its original length.

One thing to keep in mind is that bonded leather (and I now think mmack66 and Sew Confused are right and that this product is a bonded leather) is not as durable as regular leather. Here's an article about bonded leather from Wikipedia, here's another article that discusses the drawbacks of bonded leather in the furniture industry.

I recommend that you order a swatch or two from fabric.com and see what you think.

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Fabric.com's "Perfecto Fused Leather -- 100% Cowhide"

Merchants on PR

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Sew Liberated Simple Skinny Jeans Pattern

Sew Liberated Simple Skinny Jeans Pattern

Buy Now
Petite Plus 203 Pattern

Petite Plus 203 Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.