SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > This is really Horrible! ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
This is really Horrible!
Dog euthanized AFTER owner claims him
SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
LA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 5/17/13 10:03 PM

The owners of this lost dog tried all week to retrieve him. They put posters out, they went to the pound 4 times during the week to check and see if he'd been picked up.
He had indeed been picked up by them, and was being held, but they told the owner every day that the dog was not there. Then, they asked if they could please go in the back just to see for themselves.
They were allowed, and found the dog they'd had and loved for 18 years! Naturally, the dog and owners were so excited to be reunited.
They were told they had to pay a fee to get the dog out. They went to the ATM, and were gone a matter of 15 minutes. In that time frame, the dog was mistakenly euthanized.
This is beyond belief. The owners said they will not sue, as no amount of money will bring their beloved back, but they are insisting on some serious reform at this pound. I am ashamed to say this happened in my home town.
-- Edited on 5/17/13 10:04 PM --

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
GA USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

In reply to SouthernStitch <<

Date: 5/17/13 10:14 PM

That story made my heart hurt. That's just awful.

------
Mary

JanyceR

JanyceR  Friend of PR
CO USA
Member since 2/3/07
Send Message

Date: 5/17/13 10:50 PM

That is heartbreaking

------
Pfaff Creative Sensation Pro, Bernina 780,
B350SE,other Berninas, Pfaff Performance 5, several vintage - multiple manufacturers.
Love all my machines!

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
IL USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

Date: 5/17/13 11:02 PM

That is truly awful.

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

Date: 5/17/13 11:39 PM

Oh that is painful ... .... very very sad to read this horrible story...

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^
DH eye tumor is starting to shrink! Yipee!! This is very good news.
My kid brother had a triple bypass ..he made it.through the surgery okay. Please keep him in your prayers. A long road to recovery ahead, as more heart issues found. Still so glad he is okay.
"Dear God...Help me out please!" ..Fr. Eric
Might I say ..Thank you +

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/18/13 0:42 AM

Oh my lord. I have no words for how I feel, and that is nothing compared to what the owners must have felt. I hope someone puts this on Facebook in order to get some action in reforming the policies and procedures at this "shelter".

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 5/18/13 0:57 AM

Someone needs to answer for this!

I have to wonder why the Shelter does not have a Debit machine? Have they pulled this stunt on other families?

Who funds the shelter? Do they know they are funding a shelter that first denies they have an animal, then kills it once it is claimed by its family?

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
TX USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

Date: 5/18/13 3:56 AM

Sad to say.. much the same thing happened here locally.. The owners did sue.. and were awarded nothing for pain and suffering.. aka nothing for the loss of the affection of their dog..

So where is the incentive to not do such a thing.. it must lie in a heated response from the public and a demand for reform in our shelters..

And I will also add I have worked enough in and around these shelters to tell you never to trust them in so far as whether your dog or cat etc may or may not be there.. Always do a walk thru.. And if your dog is a large dog.. or one of those that may be deemed dangerous... keep even a closer eye out.. as most usually the shelters will put those in those classifications to sleep first..

NEVER trust a shelter..

GrandmaNewt
GrandmaNewt
Intermediate
NV
Member since 6/5/10
Send Message

Date: 5/18/13 1:37 PM

Thats a very sad story Unfortunately there is always a human error factor and in this case a big mistake was made.

I know that our local shelter does all they can to reunite animals and their families, and does whatever possible to not have to put animals down.

When a stray is taken in here, the first thing they do is check for microchips. If they cannot contact the owner that way, the animal is kept in quarentine for several weeks hoping that an owner shows up. If after that no owner is found, the healthy animals are put up for adoption where they have at least another 30 days. They post pictures of both lost animals and adoptable animals on their website. Any animal that needs medical care is usually turned over to the local chapter of the SPCA which runs a no kill shelter and does have the funding to provide the care.

I do know that with all the shelter here does all they can not to euthanize animals, but 10s of thousands still are each year.

Please everyone that has pets, make sure your furbaby is microchiped, and make sure that the microchip company has your currant info. Even my indoor only cats, that in theory will never leave the house, have a microchip. You never know when one might accidentaly get out (that good ol human error factor again)

-- Edited on 5/18/13 1:39 PM --

nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
AL USA
Member since 12/3/05
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 5/20/13 1:16 PM

I think the lesson here is that if we're ever in a similar situation, one of the owners should stay with the dog while the other goes to the ATM. Unfortunately, you can't be too careful.

------
No sewing project is ever a complete success nor a total failure.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> This is really Horrible!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

McCall's 5062

photo
by: fourkid

Review
Fehr Trade 000

photo
by: ArtAttack

Review
DRESS LINES - A CD Book by Kenneth King

DRESS LINES - A CD Book by Kenneth King

Buy Now
Shapes Six Sense Skirt Pattern

Shapes Six Sense Skirt Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.