SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers > Sergers ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Sergers
Babylock Evolution: How much to pay?
Klunky
Klunky  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/6/11
Send Message

Date: 5/18/13 3:50 PM

I averaged the price of the Evolution as given in reviews on this site: I found 10 reviews, 9 prices. The average purchase price is 2733.22. (Two low prices skew it a bit.)
Feet and Inspiration book vary.

Fall, 2011, I got a price of 2788 from dealer A. No trade, not a demo, included 6 feet, Inspiration Guide and trolley bag. I passed. (Couldn't do it at the time.)

May, 2012, dealer B: 2999, was a demo, no trade, no extras. Gave a deposit, and it was complicated to get it refunded when I backed out.

May 2013, again went to dealer B (because it's closest at 45" away) 2999, is a demo, with trade, was told MSRP is 3699. I thought MSRP is 3499. 600 off due to being a demo, 500 off for event discount. (? sorry, the numbers don't add up and I got nothing in writing (unlike dealer A). Then she said for the total of 2999 I get the 6 feet and Inspiration book. The clear foot, which I want, was an additional 20 not in the total.

Am I wasting my time to travel at least an hour plus to a third dealer? Or should I just go back to dealer A, who I trust more than B; even though it's an hour and 15 minutes away, and I do want lessons. The price there will not necessarily be the same as 2011, but it just seems that dealer B at the very least could have thrown in the clear foot--as if I go there for lessons it's a pretty sure bet I'll spend more than 20 on fabric, notions, etc.
I might also add that dealer A is where I purchased my Bernina 23 years ago under their guidance, and I will NEVER give that machine up.

------
Klunky

Sew Confused
star
Sew Confused
Intermediate
Member since 7/13/07
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 5/18/13 4:10 PM

I would go with the dealer I trusted and be thankful I had a choice.

------
Paula

"In Seattle you haven't had enough coffee until you can thread a sewing machine while it's running."
- Jeff Bezos, Amazon.com founder

Visit my blog at www.sewconfused.blogspot.com

allorache
allorache  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Oregon USA
Member since 12/10/11
Send Message

Date: 5/18/13 10:35 PM

I may be among the posts you already looked at. I'm in Oregon and I paid just under $3000 for brand new but no extra feet or Inspiration (in Nov 2012). I'd think long and hard before paying $2999 for a demo. Distance is definitely a factor with dealers; besides lessons you may need some support or troubleshooting (although thus far I haven't, it's just run smooth as silk). If you think you can handle the distance for lessons and/or support, it can't hurt to look at dealer #3. They may be fabulous. But otherwise, of the two you've described, I'd go with the first one.

You will LOVE LOVE LOVE the Evolution....

------
New Ovation!! Now a Babylock girl almost all the way - Ellegante 3, Evolution, and Melody. Plus a Sailrite LSZ-1 for those heavy duty projects

Klunky
Klunky  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/6/11
Send Message

Date: 5/19/13 4:36 PM

Thanks Sew Confused and Allorache. I will take your advice as soon as I am able, which will be in a few weeks because I dislocated my hip last night.

------
Klunky

Mishogawear
Mishogawear
Beginner
New York USA
Member since 2/23/13
Send Message

Date: 5/19/13 4:46 PM

I just purchased one a few days ago. It was $2799, came with workbook, cheat sheet, 8 spools of serger thread, six feet and they threw in a waste babylock basket. So with tax, just above $3000
-- Edited on 5/19/13 4:46 PM --

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

In reply to Klunky <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/19/13 4:47 PM

I'd go back to dealer A. I think that's a decent price especially with the extra feet and the inspirational guide.
I paid $2700 for mine with NO extras and I have heard that BL prices have gone up in the year and a half since I bought mine.
Do get the clear foot, you'll use it a lot. I have since purchased the Clear Foot and the narrowerer coverstitch foot which I like a lot.

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

In reply to Sew Confused <<

Date: 5/19/13 4:49 PM

LOVE your quote!!!

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

kcurtis
kcurtis  Friend of PR
Advanced
Colorado USA
Member since 12/15/12
Send Message

Date: 5/24/13 0:46 AM

I bought mine a few weeks ago for $2700. It included the inspiration book and 6 presser feet. Everything I got was new in a factory sealed box.

------
Just a hack that sews for a living. ;)

Juanita47
star
Juanita47  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
West Virginia USA
Member since 9/18/06
Send Message

In reply to Klunky <<

Date: 5/27/13 4:19 PM

You can try making an offer and you will have nothing to lose. I asked local dealer if she could sell me new evolution for $2500 with tax - 7%tax. She asked me if I could do $2514 and I said yes. No extra feet but I did get the workbook. I already had the feet from my evolve so I was happy with the deal. It was a cash deal and, of course, you have to be prepared that they may not take your offer.
Good luck!

noodlesew
star
noodlesew
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 1/18/10
Send Message

In reply to Klunky <<

Date: 6/6/13 4:47 AM

In case anyone else is after the costs of ownership, I bought one today for $2700 in Perth. No added extras. As is, brand new in box. The last one in the shop is a demo, which may be cheaper for those contemplated buying one. The shop offers lay-by for people waiting to save up for Christmas.

I was told I'll get lessons included, but no details were given, nor any written confirmation. Also there are charges of $25/3hr for sewalong projects using kits costing $35 per session. Other than a few feet, no other accessories like books, covers, carriers were available in the shop.

The shop charges $60/hr to thread your machine if not purchased there.

I did not feel comfortable with the lady who processed the sale, however, the sales assistant the day before was very approachable with my questions and went out of the way to demo several machines as I was tossing between combo vs 2 dedicated machines. If it was not for the First Lady, I would have gone to a different shop. I don't mind paying petrol if I get better sale service, and friendly after sales.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers >> Sergers

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

PR Member's Pattern Savage Coco

photo
by: meggipeg

Review
Sew Chic Valentine Slip Pattern (ln1207)

Sew Chic Valentine Slip Pattern (ln1207)

Buy Now
Favorite Things The Wrap Dress Pattern

Favorite Things The Wrap Dress Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.