SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > One Janome machine or two... ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
One Janome machine or two...
What do you think, Janome MC 9900 or the 4210QDC plus the 350E?
Melanie123
Melanie123
Intermediate
Member since 5/17/13
Send Message

Date: 5/20/13 9:03 PM

Think I prefer one machine, easier maintanace and both sewing and embroidery always ready to go, but cheaper to go with two and keep one tucked away. For those with experience with any of these machines, what do you think?

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

In reply to Melanie123 <<

Date: 5/20/13 9:43 PM

The advantage of two machines is being able to sew while the other embroiders. Many designs can take quite.awhile. to stitch out.

If space is an issue then the combo may work better. It's not necessarily easier maintenance. If you have to take it in for service then you have nothing and you could end up looking for a backup machine.

roberta10
roberta10
Member since 2/9/09
Send Message

Date: 5/20/13 11:03 PM

Please Please check out the reviews on the 4120 QDC . I would never recommend this machine. I had it and got rid of it. For the cost of this machine you can get a much better machine that will sew consistently and not skip stitches when quilting with a walking foot.

Melanie123
Melanie123
Intermediate
Member since 5/17/13
Send Message

Date: 5/21/13 2:28 AM

Thanks Karen and Roberta. I have not found reviews on the 4210, that's part of my apprehension. Didn't see one posted here either, unless I missed it. I understand it is a fairly new machine (~1yr)?

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

Date: 5/21/13 2:40 AM

It's kind of a lightweight machine...more like a fancy class machine. There are better Janome models.

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

Date: 5/21/13 4:48 AM

The 4120 (not 4210, never heard of that #), is very similar/updated version of the 3160. Hth.

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

sewfrequent

sewfrequent
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 6/27/03
Send Message

Date: 5/21/13 6:32 AM

The 4120 sure has a lot going for it and is attractive too. Love that it has a cutter. I too noticed there are no reviews and wondered why. I do think its been out a year or maybe longer. I know the 3160 was a nightmare and didn't realize the 4120 had issues also. Having separate machines is my preference also. Its not like you can (or should) just walk away while a design is stitching out so you're somewhat captive during that process anyway. If you can sew at the same time, you can be so much more productive w/ the available time you have for your projects.

Melanie123
Melanie123
Intermediate
Member since 5/17/13
Send Message

Date: 5/21/13 9:11 AM

Maia, yes, the 4120, sorry about that. I see t/o my post I had it wrong. It really is a neat machine, smallish, but all the features I was looking for and under $1000. Wonder why so many problems in this line with so many other great machines. Might take my chances. Wish I could find some reviews.

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

Date: 5/21/13 9:47 AM

I just thought that might account for not finding reviews. I could swear I saw one for the 4120, which unfortunately was unfavorable, same gripes as the 3160, which surprised me, since Janome seems to learn from their experiences and make improvements/corrections in subsequent models.

These models are very pretty, and the features for the price seem great. Maybe test drive and assess the dealer situation, that is, will they replace or refund if needed?

The 3160 was $700-800 at my nearest dealer, but was included as a gift with purchase along with a table, machine trolley, and thread set with the purchase of the 7700 for $1999 at shows.

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

sewfrequent

sewfrequent
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 6/27/03
Send Message

Date: 5/21/13 9:51 AM

i found a few reviews on it a couple of months ago. I think they were on the janome forums. One or two people had it and did recommend it. If you have a great dealer, he will take care of a lemon should you get one. Or, allow you to trade up maybe. I test-drove this machine not long ago and liked it very much. It is heavier than the 3160. It does surprise me there are no reviews to speak of and no discussion either. The one I saw was "on sale" for $750!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> One Janome machine or two...

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Butterick 4929

photo
by: PattyE

Review
You Sew Girl Kids Hats Pattern

You Sew Girl Kids Hats Pattern

Buy Now
Paradiso Designs Be Green Market Bag Pattern

Paradiso Designs Be Green Market Bag Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.