SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sew Alongs > Ottobre Woman sew-along ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Ottobre Woman sew-along
Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
ON
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

Date: 5/22/13 9:32 AM

Over on the thread where there's a discussion about the current Ottobre Woman, Sanibelle posted a link to an Ottobre Woman sew-along on the German site Hobbyschneiderin. The thought occurred to me, we don't have an Ottobre Woman sew-along here. Why not? Let's start one.

I may not be sewing much in this sew-along, since I'm such a tortoise -- but it may inspire me.

What do you think? The current issue of Ottobre Woman is the spring-summer 2013 issue (#2), but I think we could open this sew-along up to any Ottobre Woman sewing.

-- Edited on 5/22/13 3:41 PM --

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

westmoon
star
westmoon  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 9/7/11
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/22/13 9:44 AM

Great idea! Can I start us off by HIGHLY recommending one of the very easiest patterns in Ottobre 02-2013, the little top, pattern #2 called the "Summer Basics top"? I've made six of them already, one muslin for fit and 5 more! It uses under a metre of fabric, it's super easy and it would be a great first project for anyone brand new to Ottobre to get a feel for tracing their patterns and using their (terse) instructions, as well as a great first knit pattern for a beginner.

Here's my blog post with my first two non-muslin versions and a complete review

A straightforward version in a wild print

And a couple of variations on a theme:

A pale blue with wide bands on the sleeves

A version with a lace yoke at the back

------
http://sewingnovice.blogspot.co.uk/
One woman. One sewing machine. One giant stack of fabric. What could possibly go wrong?

blue mooney
starstarstar
blue mooney
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 12/21/02
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/22/13 10:21 AM

What a good sewalong idea! I love Ottobre Woman and would really like to see more garments made from their patterns.

westmoon, I loved looking at your different versions of the basic summer top. Simple patterns are the best springboards for your own designs!

Maybe that top should be my next project. I made two versions of the triangle top from the latest magazine.

Here's a link to the Ottobre posts on my blog. UNZIPPED - Ottobre Woman

------
--Robyn
sewing blog: http://bluemooney.wordpress.com/
illustration blog: http://storybooky.wordpress.com/

M.S.
star
M.S.
Intermediate
Member since 3/6/09
Send Message

Date: 5/22/13 11:00 AM

I am in! I've made the summer basics top & plan to make more. It's quick & in fashion. Shirts seem to be going slouchy, instead of the very fitted type that's been around for awhile.

sewme47
star
sewme47
Intermediate
IL USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

Date: 5/22/13 2:02 PM

Vintage Joan, what a great idea for a new thread. I'm going to learn how to post photos just so I can take part!

West moon and Blue moony, your Ottobres are lovely and very inspiring. I'm going to dig out the tracings I made from that issue and get sewing!

------
A balanced diet is a cupcake in each hand.

Julia C
star
Julia C  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
NV USA
Member since 7/1/07
Send Message

In reply to Vintage Joan <<

Date: 5/22/13 11:05 PM

I will ( eventually) make more OW jeans 5/2007. If I get reallyenergetic I will change the legs to the new skinny leg pattern or the bootcut. I have the top almost where I want it & I am not about to start with more alterations.
I need more tops but have no time so just ordered 3 from Lands End which will hopefully be long enough.

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
GA USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

Date: 5/23/13 0:06 AM

Would someone mind talking about the Ottobre draft? What body type do they draft for?
-- Edited on 5/24/13 1:34 PM --

------
Mary

Amanda.Claire
star
Amanda.Claire
Intermediate
Member since 3/20/07
Send Message

In reply to Vintage Joan <<

Date: 5/23/13 7:56 AM

I'm in! When you do Ottobre Women patterns, do you just post them and say this is part of a sew-a-long? Do you reference a main blog for the sew-a-long?

~Claire

anniem404
anniem404  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 3/2/13
Send Message

In reply to westmoon <<

Date: 5/23/13 11:42 AM

I am totally clueless. I love the pattern, but where do you purchase it? thanks in advance!

------
Pfaff 7570 and Pfaff Creative Sensation

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
ON
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to Amanda.Claire <<

Date: 5/23/13 4:56 PM

Hi Claire,

You don't have to mention anything about the sew-along in your reviews, if that's what you mean. I'm not sure what your blog question means.

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sew Alongs >> Ottobre Woman sew-along

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

SewBaby Travel High Chair Pattern

SewBaby Travel High Chair Pattern

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems Double Green Shopping Bag Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Double Green Shopping Bag Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.