SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Fabrics and more... > musty fabric stores--are the NYC garment district stores okay? ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
musty fabric stores--are the NYC garment district stores okay?
could anyone give the all clear?
Mole Princess
Mole Princess
Member since 4/17/12
Send Message

Date: 5/22/13 9:51 AM

Hello all--

We are lethally allergic to mold (long story . . . ) but live pretty near the NYC garment district. In fact, my husband works right near it. I am wondering if the favorite stores there are safe for someone like me to visit. E.g. Mood, Metro, Spandex House . . .

In NJ I've been to some older buildings that I really can't stick around in, but age isn't always the issue--it's maintenance, how close to basement, etc.

Any hints? Thanks!

sarah in nyc

sarah in nyc
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 1/8/05
online now
Send Message

In reply to Mole Princess <<

Date: 5/22/13 10:23 AM

You can probably visit B&J and Rosen&Chadwick with no worries. If you are lethally allergic I would avoid the others...clearly fabric does not do well in moldy places... but some of the great bargain places are not as tidy as someone with allergies as severe as yours should hang out in.

------
sarah in nyc
www.sewnewyork.blogspot.com

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

Date: 5/22/13 11:10 AM

I'm not lethally allergic to mold, but extremely sensitive to it and can usually smell it a mile away. I've been to the main well known stores (Mood, Parron's for example) there a few years ago and do not remember smelling any mold.

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

Date: 5/22/13 11:20 AM

Mood is an elevator ride up, so above basement level. Sorry I can't recall the floor #, but you could call and ask. Fabric shopping has made me throw financial caution to the wind- your health situation is nothing to take chances with. Smart to think ahead and ask the key quesion. Have fun in places that suit you well.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

Mole Princess
Mole Princess
Member since 4/17/12
Send Message

Date: 5/22/13 1:28 PM

Thanks everyone so far . . . and I should say, since I may have made you TOO concerned, I will not have an anaphylactic reaction to mold, so technically I am not lethally allergic. Some maybe would or do, so I should not exaggerate. However, the consequences of exposure for me are pretty nasty and in addition bringing fabric into our home that could itself pose an issue is not at all wise.

So, I appreciate all and any feedback from you all on this!

Meg at Mood
star
Meg at Mood
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 5/6/12
Send Message

thumbsup 7 members like this.

Date: 5/22/13 2:30 PM

No mold or musty fabric here at Mood. Inventory changes too rapidly to get musty. Hope you can stop by!

------
Meg

http://www.moodfabrics.com/blog/

Mishogawear
Mishogawear
Beginner
New York USA
Member since 2/23/13
Send Message

In reply to Meg at Mood <<

Date: 5/22/13 3:55 PM

Oh Mood, I'm in Long Island. Dying to hit your place. Very soon will be taking a trip in.
While you are here, can you tell me, do you carry a good selection of organics? mid to heavy wt printed nylon/poly/spandex? performance knits?
Thanks
Would hate to come in to find out you don't carry too many of that kind of fabric.

Meg at Mood
star
Meg at Mood
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 5/6/12
Send Message

In reply to Mishogawear <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/22/13 5:12 PM

Yes, decent selection of bamboo knits and organic cottons. Good selection of nylon/poly/spandex. Not so much performance knits right now, but that varies. I commute from Long Island every day, so you can make the trip too!

------
Meg

http://www.moodfabrics.com/blog/

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 5/22/13 6:52 PM

I don't think I've ever experienced even a remote hint of mold in any of the stores. A little dust in a couple of the smaller places, maybe, but it could just be fabric fluff. The only time I've found shopping in the garment district stores unbearable was during a heat wave; AC there isn't set up to deal with 95 degree weather. These stores aren't in damp basements; they're street-level or higher and the livelihood of the owners is dependent on their offering clean, attractive stock.

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

HDWen
star
HDWen  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Arizona USA
Member since 12/26/11
Send Message

Date: 5/22/13 10:46 PM

I was worried after the huge storm and a few of my fav shopping stores (I'm on their newsletter), shut down in order to clean up

NOT their fabrics but storm damage -- When NYFashions re-opened I took a chance (allergic to mold and it does send me to the hospital). That said I bought 8 bolts of their lovely cotton Batiste and not a scent to it! Yahoooooo

Must get on the Mood website as I really appreciate you posting here!!

Thanks

Debbie

------
I have a great enthusium for sewing, but lack talent to be great.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> musty fabric stores--are the NYC garment district stores okay?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Class Details

Online Class
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Class Details

Vogue Patterns 1051

photo
by: margk

Review
Self Drafted Pattern 16599-1004

photo
by: TalyQ

Review
Sew Liberated Mischievous Gnome Messenger Bag

Sew Liberated Mischievous Gnome Messenger Bag

More Info
Sew Liberated Huck Finn Cap

Sew Liberated Huck Finn Cap

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.