SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Aprons...help ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Aprons...help
Fabric for aprons to be sold
fluentfox
fluentfox
Beginner
Member since 5/22/13
Send Message

Date: 5/22/13 9:02 PM

So my mother in law has convinced me to sew aprons to sell in her shop. Here is where things get bad. I have a taste for the off beat and fun and the anti-girlie. I have no idea what sort of fabric to use for aprons for other people. I mean like prints, patterns, and colors. To prove to you how "different" I am the first apron I make is gonna be made with Avengers fabric. Please help....I have no clue what I'm doing.

------
Don't quote me....I'm usually wrong

Hauteaway
star
Hauteaway  Friend of PR
Beginner
CA USA
Member since 9/5/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/23/13 1:24 AM

All of my friends like vintage-style aprons - think cotton small prints like old flour sacks, or white batiste with colorful embroidery accents. That might not fit with your MIL's shop though. Quirky aprons might sell better, and you shouldn't ignore your own muse too much.

------
YAN: Yet Another Nancy

Pamela R
star
Pamela R  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
ON CANADA
Member since 6/22/07
Send Message

Date: 5/23/13 9:01 AM

You might want to ask your MIL what her vision is, but consider aprons for BBQ, and men, as they can be more off beat and fun.;)

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 1/18/12
online now
Send Message

Date: 5/23/13 9:41 AM

My Mother ALWAYS wore a (half) apron. Of course, she wore housedresses everyday as well.
Probably because of that connection, I really like aprons too,
I just don't like that strap around my neck, I find it uncomfortable and annoying. I have found aprons that don't have the strap, that have more of a top (if that makes any sense). Unfortunately those seem to make me look big as a house.

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 5/23/13 11:11 AM

If you are going to make bib aprons, please, please, please make some for busty women.

I work in a commercial bakery 1 day a week and the aprons only cover on of the girls.

Nothing wrong with making some edgy aprons. Make a few and see how they sell. There are lots of girly, vintage etc aprons around.

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

Chris Bryant
Chris Bryant  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 8/24/02
online now
Send Message

Date: 5/23/13 11:26 AM

I make a lot of them for my daughter and use Home Dec fabric. You can make one with the strap with about a yard and an eighth unless there is some strange design, then it will be more.

My daughter who doesn't share my taste in things at all, really loves them out of Home Dec, and they last longer than quilting cotton. You will have to fuse interfacing to the straps and the little rectangle piece at the top where you attach the straps.

Don't get the D rings from Walmart's; they are too heavy. I use a Kwik-Sew pattern.

I always match the design on the pocket with the body and this for some reason amazes my SIL.

Chris
-- Edited on 5/23/13 11:26 AM --

Sew Confused
star
Sew Confused
Intermediate
Member since 7/13/07
Send Message

Date: 5/23/13 11:30 AM

More people might go for quirky than you would think. Just be sure the fabric you use to make them is beefy enough to actually protect the clothes underneath.

------
Paula

"In Seattle you haven't had enough coffee until you can thread a sewing machine while it's running."
- Jeff Bezos, Amazon.com founder

Visit my blog at www.sewconfused.blogspot.com

fluentfox
fluentfox
Beginner
Member since 5/22/13
Send Message

Date: 5/23/13 11:36 AM

I was planning on a mix of half aprons and bib aprons (yes for the busty). My MIL's shop is kind of beachy. She does art work using shells and sea glass and a bunch of other stuff. So should I do beachy prints too?

------

Rainspa

Rainspa  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 1/1/07
Send Message

Date: 5/23/13 12:30 PM

I LIKE the idea of edgy and off beat with the caveat: see what sells.
If everybody has already done something, and it can be bought at every other beach boutique then why buy it from you?
I've been on trips with shoppers and seen the same merchandise down the whole coast. The first couple of shops were interesting, shop # 50 not so much.
I'd suggest a mix 60/40. Floral homey/ outrageous wild.

YMMV

------
I'm going to Costume College!

fluentfox
fluentfox
Beginner
Member since 5/22/13
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 5/23/13 2:08 PM

The apron of my dreams this is what I really want to put together for an apron. But I wasn't sure other people would like that. Its custom fabric from SPOONFLOWER.COM and I just love this.

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Aprons...help

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 09-2012-123A

photo
by: tsedai

Review
Simplicity 2345

photo
by: sewmodest

Review
You Sew Girl A-Line Skirt Pattern

You Sew Girl A-Line Skirt Pattern

Buy Now
Learn to Sew a Shirt or Blouse DVD

Learn to Sew a Shirt or Blouse DVD

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.