SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Web site Talk > Flickr Changes... ( Moderated by Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Flickr Changes...
Are you keeping your Pro Account?
Terri A
starstarstar
Terri A  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 1/16/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/23/13 2:48 PM

Please chip in on the Flickr situation?
I have a Pro account and have used this service almost exclusively for my pattern reviews and sewing photographs.

They are giving everyone a free Terabyte of space and offering the Pro members to switch to free.

I was going to just stick with it but the wording they are using implies they will eventually yank the Pro accounts too...

We have until August to decide. Once you switch to free you can never go back to Pro because they are fazing it out.

I loved the old flickr and their app. Now I am just really not so sure.

What are you going to do?

addicted2fabric
star
addicted2fabric
Intermediate
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 2/8/07
Send Message

Date: 5/23/13 3:33 PM

I went onto Flickr yesterday and was very surprised to see it had changed.
I stopped paying for the Pro account a couple of years ago as I mainly use the site as back up storage and it didnt really matter to me that I could only see the most recent 200 photo's.
Now that I can have full use of the site for free, I may well make more use of it.
I dont really see what the point in havin a Pro account would be now. What extra's are they offering for the money you'd have to pay?

------
Sew Much Fabric, Sew Little Time

Terri A
starstarstar
Terri A  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 1/16/08
Send Message

In reply to addicted2fabric <<

Date: 5/23/13 3:53 PM

Stats which they seem to be getting rid of eventually and no ads...
By comparison Free accounts that want to get rid of ads later will be paying twice what the Pro accounts are now...

The only other things are unlimited storage (if you could possibly have more than a Terabyte worth) and photo replacement if you want to keep your comments and faves intact but switch the photo...

Not sure there are more benefits than that...
-- Edited on 5/23/13 3:54 PM --

Terri A
starstarstar
Terri A  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 1/16/08
Send Message

Date: 5/23/13 11:14 PM

Well - I took the irreversible leap into free world... Now for no stats and ads.... So far I see only one small ad, no stats and everything else seems the same.

So scary to alter any paid service we depend on!

Pj3g
star
Pj3g  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WI USA
Member since 2/14/11
Send Message

In reply to Terri A <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/24/13 0:49 AM

When I received the email from Flickr I went to my account and everything looked so messed up I was heartsick. There was writing across photos and everything just seemed a mess so I logged out unhappy.

Then yesterday I tried to go back on and several times since and can't. All I get is the panda bear page saying they're trying to fix the problem. I use Flickr for PR but none of the links work to go to Flickr. I spent so much time adding photos and descriptions these past couple years so it better come back better looking than what I saw the other day.

So I am glad you brought this up. If I put all my photos there and it's messed up I won't be happy. I haven't read about the free verses pro 'cause I can't get on. I don't know what to do yet. I do have a pro account now. Maybe I'll have to depend on you all to know what to do.

------
Thank you Lord for my Mother who taught me the joy of sewing, for my Father who encouraged my sewing, for the talent You gave me to sew, and for all the special people in my life to sew for.

Terri A
starstarstar
Terri A  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 1/16/08
Send Message

In reply to Pj3g <<

Date: 5/24/13 1:09 AM

I know what you mean! It is incredibly upsetting to have it all changed overnight!
Many people are getting the Panda error messages. Hang in there - you have a few weeks to see how you like it after they fix the bugs.

If you go to the help forums there are many informative threads about what's going on. Also, this article explained the basics in a clear way...

Flickr changes

HTH

Terri

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 5/24/13 4:42 AM

I grew so weary of photo sites changing over the years- yahoo, kodak, ofoto, and apple gallery was the last straw for me. I tried Picasa and some beautiful wedding photos were resized so small that they were unprintable.
It is worth my piece of mind to have my 1200 photos and videos safe, secure and backed up by Smug Mug for $60 a year. Unlimited. And no need for my to have redundant drives at home that run $300-400 and last only 4-5 years.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

westmoon
star
westmoon  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
IRELAND
Member since 9/7/11
Send Message

Date: 5/24/13 6:46 AM

I dropped my Pro account. The only reason I had it was I wanted the extra storage space, and with the account changes that's no longer required.

------
http://sewingnovice.blogspot.co.uk/
One woman. One sewing machine. One giant stack of fabric. What could possibly go wrong?

Pj3g
star
Pj3g  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WI USA
Member since 2/14/11
Send Message

In reply to Terri A <<

Date: 5/24/13 1:31 PM

Thanks for that link Terri. I have finally been able to get back in to Flickr and everything looks better than the other day.

I have been reading some of the forums and your link. Seems as though the majority of users are angry about the changes.

One reason I went Pro (only weeks ago) was the ability to have more sets verses only 3 on the old free account. Now, I am unclear whether the free account allows unlimited sets. I only saw groups mentioned. Does anyone know? I looked at your Flickr Terri and you have each thing you've sewn in it's own set. I like that and is what I was hoping to do.

I just hate when you do alot of work and then it disappears or changes. As a once avid photographer I had my photos on my home computer wonderfully organized--any photo could be found instantly. Unfortunately we had a computer crash. The photos weren't lost but the organization was. That's when I started using Kodak and then Shutterfly because prices were better for prints. Then Kodak stopped but they sent everything to Shutterfly. After joining PR I put sewing photos on Flickr because linking to PR is easier.

When I check out older reviews here on PR I hate it when their links no longer work and I don't want that to happen to my reviews. Not that I have that many but I would hate to have to relink stuff. I don't think I'd bother.

So I will switch to the free account if I knew you can have lots of 'sets.' So would you or anyone know?

------
Thank you Lord for my Mother who taught me the joy of sewing, for my Father who encouraged my sewing, for the talent You gave me to sew, and for all the special people in my life to sew for.

Terri A
starstarstar
Terri A  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 1/16/08
Send Message

In reply to Pj3g <<

Date: 5/24/13 1:51 PM

I can still create sets, and I dropped my Pro account and went free yesterday...
They are all still there and as far as I know there is no limit.

My collections are still there too. I'm happy with my decision at this point, which was based on the realization that whether it is now or later Pro accounts will likely go away for good at some point.

One ad and no stats - I can live with that and explore other possibilities in the meantime:) I still dislike the new look though...

@westmoon
I signed up for Pro for the same reasons as you, plus peace of mind. One Terabyte solves that though!

@SandiMacD
Thanks for the Smug Mug idea. I will check it out I *really* feel your pain on the wedding photos on Picasa, awful.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Web site Talk >> Flickr Changes...

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Self Drafted Pattern 244038-1003

photo
by: NhiHuynh

Review
Jennifer Stern The Perfectly Fitted Shirt by the Cup-Full Pattern ( Size 6-14(Cup A-DD) )

Jennifer Stern The Perfectly Fitted Shirt by the Cup-Full Pattern ( Size 6-14(Cup A-DD) )

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems The Ultimate Kinsale Cloak Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems The Ultimate Kinsale Cloak Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.