SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > changing Bernina Presser Feet? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
changing Bernina Presser Feet?
Since the Bernina Feet are not snap ons are they difficult to change?
FabbyLady
FabbyLady  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Maryland USA
Member since 5/21/13
Send Message

Date: 5/25/13 8:51 AM

I like the snap-on feet I have accumulated for my Brother SE 270 D. I've was thinking about getting a Bernina for my next machine, but heard their feet are not snap-ons. I hate to mess with the screwdriver on the few feet which do not snap-on my machine. Bernina owners please tell me about your experience changing feet.

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to FabbyLady <<

Date: 5/25/13 8:53 AM

Easy, easy, easy. (and I've owned some Janomes with snap-on feet...)

Sew Nanny
starstarstar
Sew Nanny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 8/13/06
Send Message

In reply to FabbyLady <<

Date: 5/25/13 8:59 AM

You do not need a screwdriver to attach Bernina one-piece feet to the machine. In fact, you can hold the foot and attach it with one hand. Bernina's superior one-piece feet are one of my favorite aspects of owning a Bernina sewing machine. I've owned Janomes, Elnas and Kenmores in the past and as far as I'm concerned, their feet can't even begin to compare. Bernina feet are pricey, though.

------
Patricia
Bernina B780E ~ Bernina B380 ~ Juki MO-735
Bernina DesignerPlus 7

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." Eleanor Roosevelt

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

In reply to FabbyLady <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/25/13 9:00 AM

Nothing could be easier than changing feet on a Bernina (modern). The feet can be changed using only one hand.

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

Date: 5/25/13 9:11 AM

I love my Bernina feet. They are very easy to change with one hand. There is a little lever to the left of the cone that holds the foot. You push up to take off the feet and push down to secure the foot on.

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

hpthecat
hpthecat
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 8/17/10
Send Message

Date: 5/25/13 9:18 AM

The feet are very easy to put on, and you really can't fail. There is a "cone shape" on the shank of the machine, and that seats down into the inverted cone shape drilled into the shank of the foot. Then you just swing a little latch down from the machine shank, to under a dimple in the side of the foot shank. The fit is very precise, solid and trustworthy. It is nothing to fear. I have owned a Singer, Kenmore, Janome, Babylock and have used Brother's-- and I have no difficulty or dismay with Bernina feet. And yes...it is nice to quit "screwing around"...LOL...

------
Bernina 820, Babylock Audrey, BL Embellisher, BL Evolution Serger

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 5/9/09
online now
Send Message

Date: 5/25/13 10:06 AM

A video may show just how easy it is:

Attaching the foot

Speaking of screw drivers, the Bernina sewing plate clips on-- no screwdriver required.

The only thing that's remotely fiddly about a Bernina is the bobbin, which is particularly tricky to get installed when the sewing table is being used.

------
Bernina B330
Feet: 1,2,3,3A,4,5,7,8,10,13,16,18,20, 29,32,35,37,50,64,70,71,82,85,86, 92

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
Ohio USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 5/25/13 10:45 AM

If you find you really need to use those snap-on feet, there are adapters for Bernina.

Here is a bit of an overview.

You can ask the dealer if there is such an adapter included with which ever model you are interested in. Expect them to discourage the use of another brand of snap-on foot.

Test drive a few other brands of machines as well to see what will best suit your needs and not necessarily just the ability to switch accessories.

-- Edited on 5/25/13 10:55 AM --

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Hauteaway
star
Hauteaway  Friend of PR
Beginner
California USA
Member since 9/5/10
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 5/26/13 10:48 PM

The biggest problem with Bernina feet is that they can be addictive. I look for excuses to buy a new style. I have a wish list for my husband (yes, they can be pricey) so he has ideas for birthdays, etc. Every so often I take the wish list, cross off a foot listed on it, and tell him, "I don't need that one any more." I don't tell him that that's because I just bought it myself.

------
YAN: Yet Another Nancy

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

Date: 5/27/13 11:16 AM

EASIER than snap on, one-handed. I'm very right-handed, and I put most feet on with my left hand. I put the walking foot on with my right. Pops on and off fast, so I use it when I should.

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> changing Bernina Presser Feet?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Vogue Patterns 9949 OOP

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
McCall's 6513

photo
by: aleah42

Review
Sewing Workshop Now & Zen Shirts Pattern

Sewing Workshop Now & Zen Shirts Pattern

Buy Now
Jamie Christina Sunny Day Dress and Skirt Pattern (JC308SD)

Jamie Christina Sunny Day Dress and Skirt Pattern (JC308SD)

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.