SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Techniques and Tips > Jeans ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Jeans
Sew Confused
star
Sew Confused
Intermediate
Member since 7/13/07
Send Message

Date: 5/27/13 2:57 PM

Ive resisted the idea of trying to sew jeans for myself because I worry about them looking home sewn. I see the jeans that PR members make, and while they are beautifully sewn, they still look home sewn to me. I believe this is because they don't have the current washes found in RTW. Does anyone know how to replicate these?

------
Paula

"In Seattle you haven't had enough coffee until you can thread a sewing machine while it's running."
- Jeff Bezos, Amazon.com founder

Visit my blog at www.sewconfused.blogspot.com

clothingengineer
starstarstarstar
clothingengineer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 5/7/10
online now
Send Message

In reply to Sew Confused <<

Date: 5/27/13 3:23 PM

You could Google search for jeans distressing tutorials. I also think something that helps give a more RTW look is using hardware (rivets and tack buttons) and that thick topstitching thread.

------
-- Anne
clothingengineer.com

Sew Confused
star
Sew Confused
Intermediate
Member since 7/13/07
Send Message

Date: 5/27/13 4:16 PM

This sounds like something a person would need to practice on old jeans. It would be easy to ruin a pair.

------
Paula

"In Seattle you haven't had enough coffee until you can thread a sewing machine while it's running."
- Jeff Bezos, Amazon.com founder

Visit my blog at www.sewconfused.blogspot.com

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 5/27/13 4:29 PM

There are a lot of jeans in dark washes, which is readily available. Study jeans in stores and online and you'll see that most of the high end jeans are very simple in detail. I made a pair of jeans recently that passed muster with my 27 year old dd. They sometimes have rivets, always a tack button and thick topstitching thread. Fit is everything and most jeans are either skinny or have a straight narrow leg. There are jeans that are distressed and if you search the internet you'll find information on how to do it. Personally I am too old for ripped jeans and I hate whiskering, but if that is what you like then I am sure you can accomplish it. Quality denim is also part of the equation. I have found that Mood sells quite a lot of denim that is high quality and the right weight. Order samples because descriptions are sometimes difficult to interpret. There was an interesting post on a blog this morning about sewing more like rtw. The blogger had bought thrift store items and taken them apart to figure out how to better copy rtw techniques. You can't do it exactly like rtw because you don't have the specialized industrial machines used to make jeans, even in a small shop. But, you can come pretty close.
Look at rtw, not what other home sewers have done to find a better way to sew jeans.

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

Date: 5/27/13 4:34 PM

I have been using the Connie Crawford jeans pattern for years now. It's not as involved as some. I've not posted any of mine yet, but will before long. I also use that pattern to make capris. I agree, that for them to look "store bought", using all the metal do dads would help. I don't like the hardware on mine. I like to do top stitching. That can make or break a jeans look. Without it, they are just another pair of pants I've had people in total disbelief when I tell them I made mine. They are not all that, but the point is, they look good enough for folks to think they are RTW. I was looking at the Sunday ads yesterday and noticed in one, a model wearing a pair of what looked like denim capris made from a Jeans pattern. You should have seen the extra fabric at the bottom of the zipper, going all the way across the top of her legs. Even RTW has it's ugly. Dive right in there and give it a try.

NonieA1
NonieA1  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 11/3/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/28/13 7:08 AM

I was raised with my Mom telling me to " Be an engine, not a caboose". I am of the age that I do not like the ripped jeans. I prefer the darker color as it fades over time. I prefer the lighter jean material here in the tropical South. Make what YOU like and are comfortable wearing. You may be the "tipping" point of a new style.

Sewmissy2
Sewmissy2
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 12/5/10
Send Message

Date: 5/28/13 7:32 AM

You can sand the hems with sand paper and they look a lot like the RTW jeans hems.

------
Designer 1, bought in 2000
Simplicity 350 serger, bought about 1997
3 Tajima Neo single head embroidery machines
Digitizer by profession
Embroidery software: Tajima DGML by Pulse (commercial) also know Designer's Gallery and Floriani for home use.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 5/28/13 10:35 AM

You won't know for sure unless you give it a try.

You can streak with Rit dye remover or not.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 5/28/13 11:04 AM

I grew up on a ranch, and old, torn, faded jeans were something you used for work only. They were never to worn in town unless you were picking up a load of feed or something.

The funniest washed ones I have ever seen in my life are those DH and I have seen in Europe during our current trip: They are faded and abraded on the back thigh, which never gets sun exposure or wear in people who wear jeans for actual work.

Ms. McCall
star
Ms. McCall
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/2/06
Send Message

Date: 5/28/13 11:27 AM

I made some jeans a while back, and I found that looking RTW has a lot to do with fit and the detailing. To get the fit right, I used the Kenneth D. King Jeanius class to copy a pair of RTW jeans I liked. As I was making them up, I keep looking at my RTW Jeans to guide me for topstitching and other construction.

I made no attempt to distress my jeans, as another commenter pointed out, most high-end jeans that I see are more raw denim / selvage jeans rather than having any distressing at all. But if you want to distress, Angela Wolf recently did a great podcast with Thread Cult where she discussed her methods.

------
BrownPaperPattern.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Techniques and Tips >> Jeans

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Understanding Wool Fabrics
Understanding Wool Fabrics

Register

Self Drafted Pattern 70883-1009

photo
by: jannw

Review
Couch Caddy

Couch Caddy

Buy Now
HANDBAG CONSTRUCTION - A CD Book By Kenneth King

HANDBAG CONSTRUCTION - A CD Book By Kenneth King

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.