SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > GE Capital ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
GE Capital
Get hit with SPAM?
lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

Date: 5/28/13 9:12 AM

I've been meaning to ask this question for a long time but just haven't done it til now.
When I purchased my Bernina 830 last year I used the no-
interest plan offered.
One thing I noticed was that as soon as I was signed up with GE I started getting huge amounts of new spam!
I am convinced that GE is the guilty party in selling my info as the timing was exactly right.
Has anyone else experienced this?

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

Sew Nanny
starstarstar
Sew Nanny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 8/13/06
Send Message

In reply to lgrande <<

Date: 5/28/13 9:16 AM

I've used GE Capital more than once to finance a Bernina machine and I've never noticed this problem.

------
Patricia
Bernina B780E ~ Bernina B380 ~ Juki MO-735
Bernina DesignerPlus 7
Bernina DesignWorks

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." Eleanor Roosevelt

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

In reply to lgrande <<

Date: 5/28/13 9:38 AM

Didn't happen to me, and I check my junk mail folder a few times per week. When I refinanced my house, however, I got spam AND an unauthorized transaction to my checking, which was attributed to the free "service" (which I never asked for or approved) offered using special e-checks printed with my loan number, payment amount, etc.

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/28/13 10:30 AM

No problem here. Set up a block for this particular email source.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

Date: 5/28/13 10:38 AM

none

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

suesewserge
suesewserge
Member since 4/21/11
Send Message

Date: 5/28/13 12:51 PM

Interesting topic, I have not used GE Capital for anything but in the recentl month or so, where occasionally I'd have a spam or maybe a few on my gmail address, I now may have 20+ in a day. I cannot think of any sites I visited that would trigger this, haven't changed my filters/settings. Ideas?

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 5/28/13 1:14 PM

No problems here, and I've used them for eyeglasses too.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

nicegirl
starstarstarstar
nicegirl
Intermediate
District of Columbia USA
Member since 5/10/06
Send Message

In reply to suesewserge <<

Date: 5/28/13 3:00 PM

I feel like some spammers have found a way to get around gmail's spam filters in the past few months. I got zero spam in my inbox for years and years with gmail and lately I get a couple a day. They are obvious spam, so I can't imagine how the algorithms don't catch them. I report them as spam but the barrage continues.

------
http://theslapdashsewist.blogspot.com
=================
2007: purchased 115+, sewed 105+
So close to parity, yet so far

Trying again in 2008
Yards purchased: 133
Yards sewn: Somewhere around 95

2009? I give up

KPM
star
KPM  Friend of PR
Advanced
Hawaii USA
Member since 1/18/07
Send Message

Date: 5/28/13 7:54 PM

Very often when I order anything online from a new vendor I get spam. They must sell their client lists. But the spam button does a good job of ridding me of them on Yahoo.

Today I got an annoying phone call from GE, an automated voice urgently asking for my zip code. Twice. Of course I refused to give it. How do I know it was really GE?

------
Let's just say all modern sms are well represented in my studio.

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 5/29/13 4:59 AM

I stopped using GE and other free financing due to their selling of my information and opt in agreeenent.
Read the fine print. You have to submit in writing an OPT OUT letter so they cant sell your name. This is not just GE but BOA and other big mortgage lenders. Doing the opt out is only one part. They and ALL if their subsidiaries are allowed by law to call and email you because you have done business with them!
I signed up with DO NOT CALL .gov which partly helps- if they call after you told them not to call. But again, you gave permission for the parent company and orhers that they own due to the fact you are their customer.
That said, my spam folder catches it- I get about 1-2 spam per month in Yahoo Inbox and none in Gmail Inbox. My phone Call Blocker catches the robo calls and I report them as I get them. The calls would predictably increase about 2-3 months after any free financing or mortage refi. But if you are persistant about adding to blocked caller list and reporting them it drops off. As for Spam- it is pretty stable-200+ per mo. That doesn't really affect me though since it's not reaching my inbox.
GE is the worst- before I got the call blocker we received 2-3 calls a week from them about credit card lowering debt offers. Like you, I refused to give them info. Also tried answering and leaving off hook, answering and hanging up, answering and playing around to waste their time and letting them know I reported them to donotcall.gov etc. The new call block phone features are the absolute best! I have a home land line so don't know if that is a feature avalaible on cell phones. I NEVER give out my cell phone to anyone except family. And I don't have VoIP so don't know if that has a call block feature.
Sandi

-- Edited on 5/29/13 5:19 AM --

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> GE Capital

Merchants on PR

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Vogue Patterns 8634

photo
by: norsk

Review
SewBaby Comfy-Alls and Knit Shirt Pattern

SewBaby Comfy-Alls and Knit Shirt Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Simple Skinny Jeans Pattern

Sew Liberated Simple Skinny Jeans Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.