SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Extreme couponing ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Extreme couponing
quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/30/13 3:17 PM

Over the weekend caught a few episodes of that extreme couponing show I think it's on the Learning channel. This is just neat hoarding in my opinion. People spending hours clipping coupons (and where do they get all those inserts by the way) to buy stuff they have no need for? I think it would be great if they gave it away to people who need it, as they are getting a lot of it for virtually nothing. These people should work for their local food banks. Now from the few eps I've seen. I have begun to think this is all a made up thing with the grocery stores on board as there is rarely other shoppers in the store. In some of these cases I think the people have the same OCD issues as a hoarder they are just very neat about it. These people have mini stores in their houses etc. I mean I'm all for saving a buck whenever I can (it buys me more sewing stuff) but this is crazy. Back in the day when I was a stay at home mom and had the time and energy to shop all the sales and gas wasn't $4 a gallon I too would got to various stores and really shop the sales and stock up on stuff but not to the point of having a store in my house. I got stuff I knew we would use. The things I use coupons for are mostly non food items and wait until the items go on sale two for one etc then use the coupon on top of it. I have to say though the show is rather entertaining. It reminds me of when I was little and liked to play store.
-- Edited on 5/30/13 3:19 PM --

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

Kalisews
Kalisews
Member since 2/8/13
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 5/30/13 5:22 PM

I completely agree Quiltingwolf. When I lived downtown I used to trade coupons with a neighbor for diapers when they came out in the papers. She used Huggies, I used Pampers, it was perfect. She made a comment one day about the show so I watched and was wondering myself where in the world they got the inserts. Then I saw an episode where a woman was explaining where she got hers, she said she looked in the paper for foreclosed properties then had her son drive her around and "collected" their papers. Basically she stole the papers from houses she claimed were owned by the banks. For someone who tried to claim she was doing everyone a favor by keeping abandoned driveways clean, she sure did jump back in her car and speed off very quickly every time she grabbed a paper.

I also think these people are hoarding a bunch of crap. I am also all for saving money, but where is the nutritious food? Are they feeding their kids crap all the time? Do they make a separate shopping trip with actual food in their carts to feed their family?

talesofawannabe
star
talesofawannabe
Advanced Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 6/25/10
Send Message

Date: 5/30/13 6:17 PM

On some of the episodes they show the couponers digging through recycling bins (literally over in the bin) digging out inserts. Crazy if you ask me.

------
http://talesofawannabeseamstress.blogspot.com/

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf <<

Date: 5/30/13 8:50 PM

As to obtaining inserts, last Christmas my SIL, her daughter and her children went surfing for the newspaper stands. After putting in the amount for one paper, they took out the inserts for all the others They needed the inserts for shopping and felt there was no harm done. Yeah, right.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/4/11
Send Message

In reply to Kalisews <<

Date: 5/30/13 9:06 PM

I think this lady did get into legal troubles over this. It was stealing.

------
I finally have a blog. www.detectivehoundstooth.com :)

AliceM
star
AliceM
Advanced
Illinois USA
Member since 4/30/05
Send Message

Date: 5/30/13 10:15 PM

I have watched it a few times and agree, some of these people have serious OCD. Especially the gal who has to keep going downstairs and re counting everything.

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to Kalisews <<

Date: 5/31/13 7:15 AM

that's the thing Kalindi there aren't coupons for nutritious food. That's way I mostly use them on non food items. Every so often can use them on snacks or some frozen thing my daughter likes.

------

Kalisews
Kalisews
Member since 2/8/13
Send Message

In reply to NhiHuynh <<

Date: 5/31/13 9:14 AM

Well that is good to hear. At least there are some sort of repercussions for doing wrong on reality TV and they don't just get away with it for the sake of "entertainment".

Quiltingqolf - your right again. Although they do put out a coupon for Cuties clementines, which they sell at Target and my kids eat like candy. I still use coupons (I started when I found them for diapers $3 off a package of diapers will get you using them). But mostly only for things like razors, deodorant, shampoo/conditioner, and things of that sort. I never cut or use a coupon for something I wouldn't buy without a coupon.

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to Kalisews <<

Date: 5/31/13 9:26 AM

Me either if you buy something with a coupon you don't normally buy then you aren't saving any money. I hate it now at the grocery store, well I know at least Mars if they have a 2 for for a certain price you have to buy both to get the sale prices. Often they have these 10 for $10 sales again you have to buy 10 to get the $1 price. Now if you had 10 coupons for those items it would be a steal. But rarely do I ever need 10 of anything. Also I have a regular small freezeron top of my frig. They have mention that people will buy a big separate freezer just for couponing the money you are saving is going right back at the door in the price of the freezer and the utility bill to run it. Now if you have a large family buying in bulk makes a little more sense. We don't it's just 3 of us. Also if these people are renting instead of buying they are actually paying to rent the space where all this stuff is going. Nothing is ever really "free".

------

justgail

justgail
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 1/19/06
Send Message

Date: 5/31/13 9:27 AM

Also there's the little detail that many of those shows, at least the first couple of seasons, massive coupon fraud (as in go to jail worthy if convicted) was done. Fake coupons, coupons used for items other than intended ones, stores allowing transactions that would not be allowed for anyone else, etc. Some stores may have lost thousands for being on the show. Here's a very interesting bit -
http://www.jillcataldo.com/alleged-tlc-extreme-couponing-fraud

I know some use their purchases for food pantries and homeless shelters. I can understand doing that, but the rest - way too much processed food. They are making it tougher and less worthwhile for everyone else to use coupons at all. Have you seen the new rules on some coupons? Things like "4 coupons per person per day", "1 coupon per transaction", etc. Bah, I hope they get pantry moths and all the pop they have stocked up loses its flavor.

The only thing I'm envious of it that all those shown live in areas where doubling coupons is done. I don't know of anyplace here that does that. Coupons that are save 50 cents on purchase of 3 don't seem to be worth the effort, especially when the 3 items cost $12 like cereals.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Extreme couponing

Merchants on PR

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Class Details

Online Class
The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Class Details

Petite Plus Patterns Yoked Blouse

Petite Plus Patterns Yoked Blouse

More Info
Sew Liberated The Emmeline Apron

Sew Liberated The Emmeline Apron

More Info
Vogue Patterns 8742

photo
by: CissieW

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.