SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > foreign owned food production ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
foreign owned food production
quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 5/31/13 10:09 AM

I just posted this on facebook. I read about this yesterday.

Who thinks companies started (incorporated) and that exist in the United States shouldn't be allowed to be brought by a foreign county especially those to do with food production? Smithfield was just brought by a Chinese company. Sorry no more Smithfield products for me. It has nothing do do with the Chinese people however I don't want my food controlled by a foreign government. What if you were to go to war with them? Or they just got pissed off at us? And they stopped all US production? I don't really care about material goods, except for the fact China pays their workers slave wages. For food is a whole different matter. And basically all the money that is paid for these products is also going to a foreign county and this is good for our economy how? I just have to shake my head at the lack of common sense in our govenment, time after time. Also I learned another big meat producer located here is owned by a company in Brazil. JBS Swift Group. Citizens really need to pay more attention to this stuff.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

kittykate
star
kittykate
Intermediate
Ontario CANADA
Member since 12/18/02
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 5/31/13 10:20 AM

That's been our Canadian reality for years. All of our iconic beer companies are foreign owned: Brazil/American/Japanese.

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to kittykate <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/31/13 10:43 AM

Yes but alcohol isn't a necessity, food is. Also were these companies once owned by Canadians?
-- Edited on 5/31/13 10:49 AM --

------

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
Wisconsin USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf <<

Date: 5/31/13 10:48 AM

I don't like it either. ... ...Just seems so wrong on so many levels!

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^<
Meowy Christmas everyone!

Oh good, DH has now getting a nice part time job. Avg 20 hours a week.
The sewing workers:
Hello Kitty Kate (green), Hello Kitty Valerie, Dottie Kenmore, Bubba Kenmore the traveler.

Be still & know that I Am God +
Dear God...please help us out..Thank you..+

petro
starstarstar
petro  Friend of PR
Advanced
France
Member since 6/24/07
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 5/31/13 11:17 AM

In general, I think that products are better made locally, with any profits accruing staying in the country where they are made. Its a pity that's not the reality.

------
http://patternpandemonium.wordpress.com/

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to petro <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/31/13 11:20 AM

Yes why ship something across the world when you could grow it right up the street. It would be cheaper also.

------

justgail

justgail
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 1/19/06
Send Message

Date: 5/31/13 2:48 PM

I'm not really happy about it. I cringe when I see all the "product of China" labels, and read about their lack of enforced standards and environmental issues. Not to mention, how many little kids were poisoned by the melamine-laced formula, all to save a few pennies and boost the factories profit. And dogs and cats over here that were poisoned.

I hope those who are saying "no more Smithfield" are also paying close attention to the immigration battle regarding our food. More farmers are considering going to other countries because they can't find American workers to work the fields and orchards here in the US. So much for the "taking away American's jobs" argument. The powers that be are considering allowing a number of guest workers for agriculture, but when that number is filled, areas where crops come in later will still be short of workers.

I support inter-country trades, but when it seems like it's always a one-way deal, or the other country has ethics/quality/environmental horror stories..... I just hope China and all the other countries that want fast development can take a lesson out of our history and realize that treating the people and environment with respect costs much less than cleanup and damage control does.

edited to add - IIRC, doesn't China want Smithfield to increase their pork supply, not sell their pork to the U.S.?
-- Edited on 5/31/13 2:50 PM --

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to justgail <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 5/31/13 2:56 PM

As I commented on my facebook place this isn't about products from foreign counties this is about control of our food supply by a foreign power that might not be our friend in the future. Foreign nations shouldn't control the livinghood or food supply of workers here in the US. Companies on American soil shouldn't be own by foreign interests. And this also effects our economy. And I'm sure they are probably getting all kinds of tax breaks. We had better wake up and be self sufficient.

------

Laurie Lou
star
Laurie Lou  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 10/16/05
Send Message

Date: 5/31/13 3:39 PM

I posted this to my FB page also. I'm also thinking about the welfare of the animals too. Not to mention the true safety of the food. Right now in this economy we should be focusing on selling product to China...not the company. It is just not as economically benificial to us in the short term or long term for that mattter. I'm not sure it is a done deal though. I understand there is a lot of static and public backlach about this. I'm going to keep mu eye on it and be vocal where I can. I believe in free enterprise but because of loopholes in the legal system and policies...I'm just not convinced this is something that should happen

------
Laurie Lou

tlmck3
star
tlmck3
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 7/11/05
Send Message

In reply to justgail <<

Date: 5/31/13 5:35 PM

Yes, the Chinese company wants Smithfield to meet pork demand in China-already the world's largest (and fastest growing due to increased standards of living because of the growing economy) pork consumer.

Chinese pork farming is not industrialized, there is a shortage of arable land, processing and distribution are not efficient and Chinese pork farmers can't keep up with domestic demand.

They don't want to export pork from China.

I didn't realize Armour was now a Smithfield company. So is something called Farmland.

It's not a done deal yet but it will probably pass legal muster.

NYT article on the sale

------
I am going for a level of perfection that is only mine... Most of the pleasure is in getting that last little piece perfect...Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just keep showing up and doing the work.

Chuck Close, painter, printmaker, photographer

Hope has two lovely daughters: Anger and Courage

St. Augustine

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> foreign owned food production

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

BurdaStyle Downloadable 122 05/2011

photo
by: julliams

Review
SewBaby Wearable baby blanket Pattern

SewBaby Wearable baby blanket Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby Petal Dress Pattern

SewBaby Petal Dress Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.