SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers > Babylock Imagine serger pricing ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Babylock Imagine serger pricing
Is this a good deal?
MartiP
MartiP  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/5/12
Send Message

Date: 5/31/13 1:52 PM

I just went to a Babylock dealer "just to see" a Babylock Imagine serger that everyone seems to say is about the best on the market.

The dealer said he presently had special pricing that included all the extra feet at $1800.00.

Is that a good deal? I am a little out of the loop on pricing because the one I have now is the Bernina 007D. It was $700.00 new 15 years ago and at the time I thought that was a lot of money.

He said trade-ins if in good condition were at about 65% of eBay prices.

------
MartiP

Ruckertt's Law; There is nothing so small that it can't be blown out of proportion.

Bernina 1230 Bernette 007D
Brother CS6000i Brother 2340 CV
New Home L372
Singer 221K (off white)
U.S Blindstitch, Model SL 718/2D
Simplicity SE2
Brother 700II

LisaR2
LisaR2
Member since 5/20/12
Send Message

Date: 5/31/13 3:09 PM

1800. is what we spent last year...with the extra feet and the Inspirational guide book. It wasn't on sale or a special price.

Barbara3
Barbara3  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 5/22/06
Send Message

In reply to MartiP <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/31/13 3:12 PM

That seems really high for the Imagine, and I would keep looking if I were you. I bought my Imagine Wave new for $1,000 about 6 yrs ago. At the time, the basic Imagine was available too. The Imagine Wave has since been replaced by the Enlighten (better lighting, jet air threading modification, lighter colored body, etc.), and the basic Imagine is still being manufactured. But your dealer seems to have priced the Imagine closer to the Enlighten. And BL often runs specials on the sergers to include all of the extra feet. HTH

MartiP
MartiP  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/5/12
Send Message

Date: 5/31/13 3:49 PM

I only had a few minutes because they were having a seminar there at the time. It was not the TOL model with wave stitch or coverlock, but a step down from that with four threads, self threading and tension adjustment.
I already have a Brother coverstitch machine, so I don't need that feature. I thought it the Imagine, but I could be wrong.

------
MartiP

Ruckertt's Law; There is nothing so small that it can't be blown out of proportion.

New Home L372
Singer 221K (off white)
Simplicity SE2
Brother 700II

MartiP
MartiP  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/5/12
Send Message

Date: 5/31/13 4:01 PM

Just went to Babylock's website, and yes, it was the Imagine. I see that previously it included the wave stitch but doesn't now.
So even with all the feet and the workbook this does not sound like such a good deal. Problem is that I am up in Northern Michigan, and the next nearest dealer is probably 250mi. or more away.

------
MartiP

New Home L372
Singer 221K (off white)
Simplicity SE2
Brother 700II

Barbara3
Barbara3  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 5/22/06
Send Message

In reply to MartiP <<

Date: 5/31/13 4:16 PM

Just to clarify: The Imagine didn't used to include the Wave stitch. There was an Imagine as well as an Imagine Wave being manufactured simultaneously. The IW also has a narrower turning radius than the Imagine (a very nice improvement). The IW was later further updated and renamed the Enlighten. The Imagine stayed the same and is still available.

Perhaps you could gather as much information as possible on patternreview.com, figure out what you want and what you are willing to pay for it, and then try to negotiate with your local dealer. Otherwise, perhaps you'll be in another city in the near future where a different BL dealer is located, and you could try to negotiate a better deal there.

It seems that few people end up paying close to MSRP for sewing machines and sergers. I know I don't. But it does take some homework to figure out what's fair.

MartiP
MartiP  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/5/12
Send Message

In reply to Barbara3 <<

Date: 5/31/13 4:25 PM

OK, thanks for that clarification!
In other words, even though I might not use the wave stitch often, the other features would make it worth while.
Thanks so much!

------
MartiP

New Home L372
Singer 221K (off white)
Simplicity SE2
Brother 700II

MartiP
MartiP  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/5/12
Send Message

Date: 5/31/13 4:31 PM

I just found another dealer I wasn't aware of, and his price for the Enlighten is 2299, 200 less than the first dealer.
I am waiting on a part-time job application and was just thinking, if I get the job maybe I will go for it!
Easy come, easy go, they say! :-)

------
MartiP

New Home L372
Singer 221K (off white)
Simplicity SE2
Brother 700II

Barbara3
Barbara3  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 5/22/06
Send Message

In reply to MartiP <<

Date: 5/31/13 4:34 PM

I personally don't think the wave stitch is important at all and, while I'm constantly using my IW for everything I sew, I haven't even used the wave stitch.

But I do think there are other improvements in the IW over the I that can be worthwhile if that's in the budget, and there are additional improvements in the E over the IW if that's in the budget as well.

The BL jet air sergers are all really wonderful because they are just so easy to use. There is zero aggravation in using them! The improvements might make using them a little more comfortable, but they're not essential by any means, and you can't go wrong with any of them.

Edited to add since your last post crossed with mine: If you can swing the cost of the Enlighten, you'll be one very happy camper. But remember, you don't immediately have to offer any dealer what they're asking............Good luck!
-- Edited on 5/31/13 4:37 PM --

Sew Nanny
starstarstar
Sew Nanny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 8/13/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 5/31/13 4:57 PM

You might want to take a look at the PR Classifieds. Oops -- it just sold.
-- Edited on 5/31/13 5:04 PM --

------
Patricia
Bernina B780E ~ Bernina B380 ~ Juki MO-735
Bernina DesignerPlus 7

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." Eleanor Roosevelt

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers >> Babylock Imagine serger pricing

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Self Drafted Pattern 24-1002

photo
by: Sue Anfang

Review
Paradiso Designs Lolita Simple Skirt Formula Pattern

Paradiso Designs Lolita Simple Skirt Formula Pattern

Buy Now
Petite Plus Patterns Easy Wrap Dress

Petite Plus Patterns Easy Wrap Dress

Buy Now
Lila Tueller Designs No. 27

photo
by: Saint Nolt...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.