SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Miscellaneous > Picking up and moving with a family in your 30's? ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Picking up and moving with a family in your 30's?
Anyone done it? (Seriously considering Portland or Austin)
michellep74
starstarstar
michellep74  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 7/19/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/31/13 4:15 PM

Just over a month ago, we sold our condo and made enough on the sale for a down payment on a small house here in San Diego. We found a place that we loved within our budget and had our bid accepted. In the meantime, my parents told us that we could live with them while escrow closed on our new place and we replaced the flooring, painted, etc. I am married and have an 11-month-old daughter, so this situation was only supposed to last 6 weeks, tops.

The day that we were to open escrow on the new place, I was very unexpectedly laid off from my job at a software company (my entire team was eliminated). So, obviously, the new house fell through, and we moved in with my parents the next day (this was two weeks ago). And now my family of three (and cats) are living at my parents' house. I am already getting a lot of pressure from my parents about the situation not working out and I feel like I need to get my family out of here ASAP. I am actively looking for a job and have already had two job interviews that I am waiting to hear back from. (The modified plan was that we'd stay here until I found a new job and we found a new place and escrow closed--hoping it wouldn't be more than a few months.)

So...my husband and I are wondering if maybe this is a sign to relocate out of the San Diego area. The housing market is ridiculous here and the salaries don't match. I have very marketable tech skills and don't think it will take me long to find a job anywhere where there's a decently strong tech industry. We'd like to live somewhere with a lower cost of living and with a culture where we feel like we fit in. Portland, OR and Austin, TX are at the top of our list (also considering Seattle and Chicago). We're thinking about just picking up and moving and living off of savings until we find jobs, which hopefully wouldn't take long. Has anyone else made a 20-something-ish move like this at this stage in their life? Any thoughts on the current job market in these cities for a software industry veteran?

------
--Michelle

Blog: http://happilycaffeinated.blogspot.com/

2014 Fabric IN: 153.13 yards
2014 Fabric OUT: 88 yards
2014 Fabric Sewn: 38 yards
2014 Fabric Donated: 50 yards
pre-2014 Stash patterns used in 2014: 7

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 5/31/13 4:25 PM

I'd call some head hunters in your top cities and just talk to them.

Did you4 company provide any career counseling when they laid off your department? Those counselors could give you the names of the best agencies to contact. Your former HR department could probably do that too.

dd#1 used to live in Seattle and we wanted to relocate there so badly. It's an amazing place and absolutely gorgeous!

I'm sorry this happened to you but I have a feeling it's going to work out really well for your family.

------
Mary

HarrietHomeowner

HarrietHomeowner  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 1/13/10
Send Message

Subject: Picking up and moving with a family in your 30s? Date: 5/31/13 4:26 PM

30s is YOUNG ... are you saying it's not? It's a great age to move (but any age is if it's something you want to do, IMO).

michellep74
starstarstar
michellep74  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 7/19/07
Send Message

Subject: Picking up and moving with a family in your 30s? Date: 5/31/13 4:54 PM

Nope, no career counseling or anything like that from the layoff. Two weeks severance and six weeks of medical benefits and a shove out the door--that was it.

I have a former manager that I really liked who lives in Austin, so I have already contacted him to ask if he knows of any leads or headhunters he'd recommend. (Still waiting to hear back from him, but I did touch base with him right after the layoff because I use him as a reference.)

We don't know anyone in Portland other than a friend's brother, but everyone tells us that we'd love it.

DH has some extended family in Seattle and I have a cousin and aunt in Chicago. Those cities are on the list simply because we love them and they have a lower cost of living and higher salaries than San Diego.

------
--Michelle

Blog: http://happilycaffeinated.blogspot.com/

2014 Fabric IN: 153.13 yards
2014 Fabric OUT: 88 yards
2014 Fabric Sewn: 38 yards
2014 Fabric Donated: 50 yards
pre-2014 Stash patterns used in 2014: 7

Kalisews
Kalisews
Member since 2/8/13
Send Message

In reply to michellep74 <<

Date: 5/31/13 7:52 PM

I haven't done this type of move with family.... I did do it in my 20's them met my hubby and now have kids, blah, blah, blah. But, my advice would be any change like this happens just because life hands it to you. 30 is not old, I am 30 something now and if the situation was handed to me and hubby and my 3 and 4 year old now I would jump at it.

The only things I would consider (and this is no reason not to jump at any of the locations) is whether or not the extended family in either location would be of any help to you. I say this because you have a baby and because I live in a place where I have NO family around. No extended family, no close family, plenty of friends but most had no kids when I had mine (and still don't). There is a seclusion and a sense of helplessness that comes with having no one to call in an emergency. And I lived here 5 years and had plenty of friends before having kids. I mean really having no one if you need someone to watch your kid for a little while. If you choose Portland (and I have a friend there who LOVES it) will you have some sort of plan for child care if needed?

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Subject: Picking up and moving with a family in your 30s? Date: 5/31/13 8:22 PM

My last, and not final move was at age 57. Next move will be where someone else tends to the lawn!

Moving from your current area means looking for two jobs. Right now one of you has a job.

Never quit a job unless you have another, or just won the lotto.

Once you interview, don't wait for a call - you call them.
-- Edited on 5/31/13 8:29 PM --

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to michellep74 <<

Date: 5/31/13 10:02 PM

Quote:
We're thinking about just picking up and moving and living off of savings until we find jobs, which hopefully wouldn't take long.

I applaud everything about your plan except this. In today's market, you can't rely on "hopefully." Do the planning and research, and have a strategy. Keep searching and keep that positive, hopeful perspective, but living off savings in the hope of landing something that will be the right fit is *dangerous*. I know about this first-hand.

-- Edited on 5/31/13 10:03 PM --

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

SunnyAlta
SunnyAlta
Intermediate
Member since 7/11/10
Send Message

Date: 5/31/13 10:28 PM

In general, people who move up from CA to OR or WA usually like the change of pace. More relaxed! Not everyone prefers the gray winters though...rain, rain, & more rain.

We moved similar to what you are planning (a whole new area) & it worked out eventually. DH did have a job waiting, only it lasted all of 2 wks. & then he was looking for a better fit. Not so fun. Took longer to settle in.

Sew Confused
star
Sew Confused
Intermediate
Member since 7/13/07
Send Message

Date: 5/31/13 11:49 PM

If you're a San Diego native, something you need to consider is the weather in both Portland and Seattle. While the measureable amount of rain that we get here isn't all that much more than lots of other places, it rains or is gray/overcast much of the time. If you're used to blue skies for months on end, I think you could find the weather here to be depressing. Here in the Seattle area, we average just under 60 completely sunny days a year.

------
Paula

"In Seattle you haven't had enough coffee until you can thread a sewing machine while it's running."
- Jeff Bezos, Amazon.com founder

Visit my blog at www.sewconfused.blogspot.com

SexiSadi
starstarstar
SexiSadi
Advanced
South Carolina USA
Member since 5/10/05
Send Message

In reply to Sew Confused <<

Date: 6/1/13 0:58 AM

Quote: Sew Confused
If you're a San Diego native, something you need to consider is the weather in both Portland and Seattle. While the measureable amount of rain that we get here isn't all that much more than lots of other places, it rains or is gray/overcast much of the time. If you're used to blue skies for months on end, I think you could find the weather here to be depressing. Here in the Seattle area, we average just under 60 completely sunny days a year.

I was going to say something like this. Have you considered the Charlotte area? While it might get a little hotter than you are used you, the sky is always blue.

------
http://theramblingsoftcm.blogspot.com/
Numbers for 2013:
Yards in stash: 606.25
Yards in: 22.75
Yards out: 10.50

Numbers for 2012:
594.00 yards in stash
4 yards in
10.25 yards out

Numbers for 2011:
601.25 yards in stash (I'm sure this number is off by a few yards)
Yards in: 137.50 (Seriously? I'm over 100, and it's only JULY? Ugh!)
Yards out: 88.75

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Picking up and moving with a family in your 30's?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Vogue Patterns 8191

photo
by: Cosso

Review
Islander Sewing Systems Men's City Western Shirt Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Men's City Western Shirt Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby Animal Mittens Pattern

SewBaby Animal Mittens Pattern

Buy Now
McCall's 6436

photo
by: Jamye

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.