SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > Better Bernina piecing by using Pfaff 1/4" edge guide foot ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Better Bernina piecing by using Pfaff 1/4" edge guide foot
How to improve quilt piecing on any model Bernina
DDahl
DDahl
Intermediate
Member since 10/11/05
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 6/1/13 12:57 PM

My wife loves her three Berninas (830E, 440QE, and 1008), but not for 1/4" piecing. For that, she loves her Pfaffs (2038,2058). What is the magic of the Pfaffs for piecing? It turns out that the secret is in the Pfaff feet. More specifically the 1/4" metal foot with guide #820541096 ($20 or so). However, it is a simple matter to convert any Bernina to use this foot and dramatically improve its 1/4" piecing to the Pfaff level or above.

You will need to purchase three parts. The first is the Bernina adapter shank #75 (standard $20)). Note: There are two versions of this adapter: One for the older Berninas and one for the modern machines (with needle threaders - check with your dealer). The second is a Pfaff low shank snap-on presser foot ankle #98-694886-00 ($10-20) for adapting the shank to the presser foot.

When using this setup with a 5.5 mm machine the 1/4" edge guide needs to just slide into the slot between the right edge of the feed dog and the stitch plate. You may need to bend the guide slightly to insure this. When the guide is adjusted properly neither the stitch plate or feed dog lifts it (cool!).

When using this on a 9 mm machine (eg. 8 series or 7 series) there is a machined slot in the middle of the right feed dog. Make sure the edge guide fits perfectly in this slot. Again, you may have to bend it slightly for a perfect fit, and that's it.

My wife now uses all five machines for piecing and claims that they give the same results. Now, however she now prefers to piece with the Berninas, because they now pull the material straight without any guiding! It may work for you too.

Dave

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Subject: Better Bernina piecing by using Pfaff 1/4 edge guide foot Date: 6/1/13 1:45 PM

Thanks for sharing your research.

Curious husbands are priceless. I have one. Just ask and he will come up with a solution.

I don't always use the 1/4" foot with the shoulder as I occasionally have to fudge the edge and if there is extra fabric in the seam allowance the shoulder catches the excess fabric instead of floating over it.

Sometimes I use the walking foot, using the edge of the foot for the "guide" to keep the foot, fabric and feed dogs working together and set the needle position for the 1/4" seam allowance.

Some quilters also use a seam guide or a stack of sticky notes.

You will get several suggested options, some cost nothing.

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

ilesliemy
ilesliemy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 2/25/05
Send Message

In reply to DDahl <<

Date: 6/1/13 3:49 PM

I might try this. As I remember really liking some of my Pfaff feet. Of course I would have to buy the feet again! AARG.
Leslie

------
Bernina Gal

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
CA
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

In reply to ilesliemy <<
thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 6/1/13 4:00 PM

Aw heck- while your buying the feet, buy a new Pfaff. Then your investment in the feet will go twice as far. It's actually quite thrifty then!

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

ilesliemy
ilesliemy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 2/25/05
Send Message

Subject: Better Bernina piecing by using Pfaff 1/4 edge guide foot Date: 6/1/13 8:14 PM

I still have one in my radar! I just might sell my Bernina Special Edition White Pearl and collect the Passport. While I would miss the knee lift I think I would get used to it. I assume the foot pedal does raise and lower the needle - does anyone know? The IDT would be wonderful for piecing.
Leslie

------
Bernina Gal

JanyceR

JanyceR  Friend of PR
CO USA
Member since 2/3/07
Send Message

In reply to wendyrb <<

Date: 6/1/13 8:26 PM

Love that logic! Used it when I bought my Bernina 350SE. I needed the new walking foot to fit my 820. So why not spend a few dollars more and get the version that comes with a machine

------
Pfaff Creative Sensation Pro, Bernina 780,
B350SE,other Berninas, Pfaff Performance 5, several vintage - multiple manufacturers.
Love all my machines!

lelliebunny
star
lelliebunny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/24/12
Send Message

In reply to ilesliemy <<

Date: 6/1/13 8:42 PM

The foot pedal to raise the needle on the passport? Nope.

------
it doesn't matter what type of sewing you do. you are sewing, and sewing is good.

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to lelliebunny <<

Date: 6/1/13 8:52 PM

Yep.

Yes, tapping the foot control does raise/lower the needle. Page 19, second paragraph under Needle up/down(6).

-- Edited on 6/1/13 8:53 PM --

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

lelliebunny
star
lelliebunny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/24/12
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<

Date: 6/1/13 9:01 PM

Excellent! I'm happy about being incorrect. :)

------
it doesn't matter what type of sewing you do. you are sewing, and sewing is good.

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to lelliebunny <<

Date: 6/1/13 9:03 PM

Really wanna have some fun? So many long-time Pfaff owners haven't a clue about their FC being able to do that...so you find one who doesn't know this, and you do it to their machine. They can't see what you did, all they see is the needle suddenly going up or down, and you haven't touched anything.

Freaks them right out.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Better Bernina piecing by using Pfaff 1/4" edge guide foot

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 10-2007-119

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
PerfectFuse Light White

PerfectFuse Light White

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems Moebius Scarf Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Moebius Scarf Pattern

Buy Now
New Look 6922

photo
by: Natasha Jo...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.