SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > Moving USA to UK - Take Bernina Machines? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Moving USA to UK - Take Bernina Machines?
Looking for feedback about whether to take my sewing machines and overlockers
WelshSewer
WelshSewer
Intermediate
Member since 5/19/13
Send Message

Date: 6/2/13 4:12 PM

I will be moving to the UK later this year and I am trying to decide whether to take my four machines. My immediate answer is yes to the two sewing machines because I love them. However, it costs money to take them, too . . .

I have a 930 sewing machine I bought around 1985. It hasnt been used that much and is a GREAT machine.

I also have a 1260 I bought in 1998 - also a great machine.

These were the OLD style machines, the heavy ones, before Bernina came out with what I believe is more plastic, lightweight, less quality machines. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

I also have a Bernina serger - a 2500 DCE.

Add to that, a Fun Lock 009 DCC (cover and chain).

The 2500 has been used twice and the 009 DCC has never been used (seriously!)

When I move back to the UK I certainly anticipate sewing a lot, though.

Are these machines worth taking? I did look at current machines on the Bernina site and the top ones cost an arm and a leg and I doubt they are as good quality as these but I am definitely open to feedback - the reason I am posting here.
-- Edited on 6/2/13 4:47 PM --

Clareew
star
Clareew  Friend of PR
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 5/10/06
Send Message

Date: 6/2/13 4:26 PM

Are you moving permanently to the UK? There are always lots of older Berninas on Ebay, if it is too difficult to bring your machines and you are not staying long, you could buy from Ebay, then sell on when you moved away again.

Which part of the UK are you moving to?

------
Clare

Machines: Juki F600, Juki 654 serger, Bernina 550 for art work, Janome Coverpro 1000cp barely used
A Singer Featherweight Centennial and an old Necci in the loft waiting for TLC

http://art-by-clare.blogspot.co.uk/

WelshSewer
WelshSewer
Intermediate
Member since 5/19/13
Send Message

In reply to Clareew <<

Date: 6/2/13 4:29 PM

Yes, I am moving permanently - to Scotland :)

I have had these machines since they were brand new and I know how little they have been use so they are almost brand new to me, unlike those I might find on eBay. I might take them on the plane as excess luggage but I still have to inquire about the best method to get them there. Fortunately, they are dual voltage.

It is mainly the sergers I am curious about. I see that sergers these days are not too expensive, although I don't know anything about the new Bernina sergers. I did read somewhere they are made in ChinaThat does not thrill me at all. However, if there is a machine with really rave reviews I might consider selling these and getting a new one in the UK.

PS: I just noticed you are in the UK, too :)
-- Edited on 6/2/13 4:30 PM --

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 6/2/13 4:42 PM

Make arrangements to take all your machines with you or you will always wonder if you should have.

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

WelshSewer
WelshSewer
Intermediate
Member since 5/19/13
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 6/2/13 4:48 PM

You know, you are absolutely right about that when it comes to the two sewing machines especially ;)

I haven't used either of the other two sufficiently to know if they are good machines and therefore worth taking.

-- Edited on 6/2/13 4:49 PM --

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
IL USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 6/2/13 5:04 PM

I would definitely take *at least* the 930, but the 1260 too, if I could swing it. The sergers, I don't know. I just got my 2nd serger, a Juki MO-735. Never figured out my first one.

The current Bernina sergers are made by Juki. Juki manufactures in Japan and Taiwan, I think. Juki makes industrial machines, and now domestic machines. They're great.

I guess I'm saying that the sergers are probably replaceable, but the 930 and 1260 are not. Even if you found those models, they probably wouldn't be in the same great condition as yours.

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

twinkle72
star
twinkle72
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 4/20/09
Send Message

In reply to WelshSewer <<

Date: 6/2/13 6:07 PM

I am just curious, is it easy to change the voltage on the machines? The power here is 220, rather than 110, like the USA. It's simple to rewire the plugs, but is there a switch you "flip" to change the motor, like on computers?

susanannetteb
susanannetteb
Advanced
AZ USA
Member since 5/31/10
Send Message

Date: 6/2/13 6:47 PM

Since they are all mechanical machines, I would just use a converter. If they were computer machines I might think twice about the converter. But I am certainly no electrician. Good Luck, seems like most things in UK are much more.

WelshSewer
WelshSewer
Intermediate
Member since 5/19/13
Send Message

In reply to twinkle72 <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/2/13 7:01 PM

Fortunately, Berninas are dual voltage so all I have to do is flip a switch on the bottom of the machines. I am EVER so glad I bought Berninas.

sewpelican
sewpelican  Friend of PR
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 8/18/11
Send Message

Date: 6/3/13 2:31 AM

Not all Berninas are dual voltage, I have moved from Australia to USA in 2004 , took my Bernina 1090 with me, needed a transformer for 110 voltage, and plug change. It is much cheaper to buy transformers in USA, online in Chicago area ships to most areas of US, google should help find it.
In USA 6 years agoI bought a Bernina 430, prior to returning to Australia in 2010, I emailed Bernina USA to ask about my Berninas and dual voltage. They were very prompt with helpful resonsesOnly the 430 is dual voltage, so didn't need a transformer. I have a BL Evolution serger/overlocker which is for 110 voltage so I bought a transformer to use here.
You need to know the wattage of any machine or appliance you want to use on the 200 voltage so that you purchase the correct transformer. We brought a number of our electrical kitchen appliances back.
Check with technical people for best advice, IMO. HTH. Good Luck.

One more thought. You might want to find out where your nearest, local Bernina shop in Scotland is located, might be so far away you would want to re think your ideas/plans.
I

------
Joan
Sunshine Coast QLD

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Moving USA to UK - Take Bernina Machines?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

McCall's 5525

photo
by: mestake

Review
You Sew Girl A-Line Skirt Pattern

You Sew Girl A-Line Skirt Pattern

Buy Now
Victoria Jones Collection Busy Diva Apron and Star Potholder

Victoria Jones Collection Busy Diva Apron and Star Potholder

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.