SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Fashion Styles and Trends > Tops to wear with skirts ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Tops to wear with skirts
to cover/hide the tummy
BJ1400
starstarstar
BJ1400
Intermediate
West Virginia USA
Member since 10/29/03
Send Message

Date: 6/4/13 12:40 PM

I plan to wear more skirts this summer as they are cooler to wear & easier to make than pants. Problem is, it's harder to find a top that looks good, as I don't want form fitting. I want to cover the tummy, but not look like I'm wearing a maternity top. The loose fitting tops that look good with pants do not look good with skirts. Any suggestions?

------
Beverly.

Sewing Makes Me Happy

http://bjsewmuchmore.blogspot.com

HarrietHomeowner

HarrietHomeowner  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 1/13/10
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/4/13 1:25 PM

I find that tops with skirts need to be a bit shorter than those with pants, and they need to be a bit fitted at the waist if you're not tucking them in. Otherwise you end up swimming in fabric between the top and skirt, and it's not very flattering.

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

In reply to BJ1400 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/4/13 1:57 PM

BJ, I use New Look 6911(and shorten the sleeve) and New Look 6867. Also See and Sew(Butterick) 5171. I don't know if any of these patterns are still in print, but you can get the idea of what I use. Butterick has another one I think is still in print, 3037. Most of these patterns, described the top as a "jackets" but I use them as more of a blouse. Like Harriet mentioned, they look a little better if they are shorter, when wearing a skirt. I have shorter ones for my skirts and some a little longer for my dressy slacks. They look form fitting on the pattern envelopes, but you can give them as much "comfy room" as you want.

kkkkaty
starstarstar
kkkkaty  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Utah USA
Member since 12/7/05
Send Message

Date: 6/4/13 2:02 PM

Timely question, I was just wrestling with this today. I am wearing a linen skirt, and ended up wearing a long Coldwater Creek top over it. The top is a bit more form fitting than the skirt, and it balances the fullness of the skirt. And balances the fullness of my tummy, I think...

------
Viking Lily 545
Viking Ruby
Bernina Activa 210
Brother 1034d

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

Date: 6/4/13 2:05 PM

Hi Beverly, I 'm wearing a skirt and top today using these two patterns:

Simplicuty 4951 for the skirt

M 5890 View C for the top

The top is princess seamed and has teeny cap sleeves. It works as a top for skirts and I usually wear a little sweater over it to cover my arms from the sun.

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

kkkkaty
starstarstar
kkkkaty  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Utah USA
Member since 12/7/05
Send Message

Date: 6/4/13 2:17 PM

I think that you don't want the shirt/top to end at the middle of your tummy. My understanding is that will emphasize that area.

shirt length discussion/photos

------
Viking Lily 545
Viking Ruby
Bernina Activa 210
Brother 1034d

Laurie Lou
star
Laurie Lou  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 10/16/05
Send Message

Date: 6/4/13 2:22 PM

Very good topic question because I seem to have this dillema when putting together a skirt and top...sometimes nothing seems to work. I think I need more form fitting tops like marec suggested.

------
Laurie Lou

Sew Confused
star
Sew Confused
Intermediate
Member since 7/13/07
Send Message

Date: 6/4/13 2:39 PM

More form-fitting, but woven fabrics, I would think, that skim over your problem areas rather than clinging to them.

------
Paula

"In Seattle you haven't had enough coffee until you can thread a sewing machine while it's running."
- Jeff Bezos, Amazon.com founder

Visit my blog at www.sewconfused.blogspot.com

kkkkaty
starstarstar
kkkkaty  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Utah USA
Member since 12/7/05
Send Message

In reply to Laurie Lou <<

Date: 6/4/13 3:01 PM

Quote: Laurie Lou
like marec suggested.

Kate?

------
Viking Lily 545
Viking Ruby
Bernina Activa 210
Brother 1034d

BJ1400
starstarstar
BJ1400
Intermediate
West Virginia USA
Member since 10/29/03
Send Message

In reply to JTink <<

Date: 6/4/13 3:08 PM

Quote: JTink
BJ, I use New Look 6911(and shorten the sleeve) and New Look 6867. Also See and Sew(Butterick) 5171. I don't know if any of these patterns are still in print, but you can get the idea of what I use. Butterick has another one I think is still in print, 3037. Most of these patterns, described the top as a "jackets" but I use them as more of a blouse. Like Harriet mentioned, they look a little better if they are shorter, when wearing a skirt. I have shorter ones for my skirts and some a little longer for my dressy slacks. They look form fitting on the pattern envelopes, but you can give them as much "comfy room" as you want.

Thanks for recommending specific patterns. That helps a lot. Looks like Butterick 3037 is still in print & I like it. Now, I need JA's to have it on sale. Yeah, looks like they're on sale this week-end!

And thanks everyone for your suggestions. Very helpful!
-- Edited on 6/4/13 3:23 PM --

------
Beverly.

Sewing Makes Me Happy

http://bjsewmuchmore.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fashion Styles and Trends >> Tops to wear with skirts

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Class Details

Online Class
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Class Details

No Pattern Used knit dress

photo
by: ChrisS

Review
PerfectFuse Medium Black

PerfectFuse Medium Black

More Info
BIRTH OF A BUSTIER - A CD Book by Kenneth King

BIRTH OF A BUSTIER - A CD Book by Kenneth King

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.