SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > How much is a featherweight worth? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
How much is a featherweight worth?
My friend wants to sell her grandmother's
Sewcial Dancer
Sewcial Dancer  Friend of PR
Beginner
NJ USA
Member since 11/10/10
Send Message

Date: 6/5/13 6:45 PM

She offered it to me, which of course I want to take it. I've been wanting to replace the one my grandmother gave me as a child, but somehow must've been given away or lost. My friend is hurting for money so I will pay what is fair. I asked her to take a few pictures and to see if she can find out what year it was manufactured. What do they usually range?

------
Singer 221, 403A, 9020 10 stitch
Brother 1250D
Juki MO-644D

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to Sewcial Dancer <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/5/13 6:53 PM

Depends.

Is it a rare specially-badged Feather? A Golden Gate Expo will run $2K; a very rare Chicago World Fair or Texas Centennial, closer to $5K.

Blacksides $900; crinkles $1800 -$2500..

Is it a 221 or a 222K?

A later-production garden-variety 221 Feather in excellent cosmetic condition can run from $10 as a lucky garage sale find, to $600 from an online FW vendor. On ebay, $300-$400, unless you're a special vendor with a fan club; if so, price doubles.

A later-production garden-variety FW in useable nick but not great cosmetics, $225 would be about average.

Price also will depend on if the original case and foot control are present, and their condition. No case? Cut price in half.

A "white" or "bisque" Feather can easily run $500-$700, and a 222K averages around the $800-$900 mark.

Hope this helps!

-- Edited on 6/5/13 6:55 PM --

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

ajoseph
ajoseph  Friend of PR
Member since 10/10/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/5/13 7:19 PM

i am in Pa.. i had 33+ 221 Featherweights. all but 2 or 3 purchased at auction. the bulk of them cost me $225-$250.00. paid $350.00 for my first. i did find a beauty for $10.00 in an antique shop and one for $25.00 at the Salvation Army. all had cases, original foot pedal. most had various feet. instruction books. i don't buy them any more, but if there are any at auction, they always go for $200.00 + auction premium which is usually 10%. one went for $495.00 last year. was not a special one. just that 2 people wanted it.

Sewcial Dancer
Sewcial Dancer  Friend of PR
Beginner
NJ USA
Member since 11/10/10
Send Message

Date: 6/5/13 8:04 PM

Thank you LynnRowe and ajoseph! Very useful pricing info. I am anxious to find out the condition of the FW, and the year it was born.

------
Singer 221, 403A, 9020 10 stitch
Brother 1250D
Juki MO-644D

lelliebunny
star
lelliebunny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/24/12
Send Message

Date: 6/5/13 8:12 PM

i'm not much help on price because i got a ridiculously good deal on mine (below market value), but i hope it is in good condition. i love my feathers.

if you haven't bought it already, i HIGHLY recommend dave mccallum's book the featherweight 221 and i. i read about it on the featherweight fanatics thread, and it has been immensely helpful for getting my machine running the best it possibly can (one of them needed the tension assembly taken apart and one had a problem with the stop motion knob/screw).
-- Edited on 6/5/13 8:17 PM --

------
it doesn't matter what type of sewing you do. you are sewing, and sewing is good.

sewfrequent

sewfrequent
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 6/27/03
Send Message

Date: 6/5/13 9:17 PM

Seems like most of them sell for $300 +/- unless they are one of the special ones that Lynn mentioned. At one time they sold for more but the pricing seems to be leveling out at around $300 give or take. If not in decent aesthetic condition, more like $200-$250. seems like that squares up pretty well w/ what the other responses have been. About 3 years ago, they were selling pretty routinely for $450-$500. I just don't see that happening much now but of course some people will still list for those prices.

lisalu
star
lisalu
Advanced Beginner
GA USA
Member since 10/5/08
Send Message

In reply to sewfrequent <<

Date: 6/5/13 9:44 PM

I wonder why the prices seem to have leveled out, but that is exactly what I am seeing on eBay. Too bad, because although I don't hoard them, I have a little Centennial beauty in extremely good condition tucked away against a rainy day. (Paying college tuition, for example.) Now I'm watching the prices decline! I could have sold it for $400 easy a year ago, now I'm not sure I'd get even $300 (which to me means I won't be selling it.)

Can anyone offer an explanation for this? After all, there are only so many in existence, there will never be any more. Seems like they would hold or INCREASE in value! Sigh...

------
Jim (Singer 301), Margaret (Singer 201-2), Betty (Singer 15-91), Bud (Singer 503), Kathy (Singer 221), Liz (Singer 221 Centennial Edition)
http://runningstitches-mkb.blogspot.com/

iSewQuiltArt
star
iSewQuiltArt
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 4/4/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/5/13 10:30 PM

Lisalu, I'm going to suggest its market demands and preparedness to pay at work. In a tight economy people often save rather than spend even if they have funds available to buy, as they feel nervous, so are much more likely to hedge against harder times to come. I took some University level economics
classes, very interesting.
Yes there are only so many in existance and no more to come but things are only ever worth what the consumer is prepared to pay in the marketplace. Consumers have power to dictate prices, if too high in any given situation they simply won't buy the product.
So, if you dont' need the money right now, hold onto it for later when you can likely get more when the economy improves and people start spending again.

------
Quilting up a storm
Bernina Girl, in possession of a small herd...

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 6/6/13 3:53 AM

They go for between $175-$225 on CL where I live. Always 1-3 avail at any given time. Perhaps we have more on the market at any given time due to the average age of our FL residents.

When I lived in MT, I rarely saw one for sale. They were usually passed along to family and friends.

When I lived in CA they went for $350 plus- guess at the time folks there had money to spend.

Ebay sort of levels the playing field by making things available to different geographical areas. Think of it as a nationwide average.

Even today I would happily pay a friend $400 in MT and felt I got a steal- knowing the machine's history and family stories but here I wouldn't pay a friend more than $200- and would feel generous doing so.
-- Edited on 6/6/13 3:58 AM --

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

Kayabunga
Kayabunga  Friend of PR
Advanced
IL USA
Member since 1/21/10
Send Message

thumbsup 12 members like this.

Date: 6/6/13 8:44 AM

If she's a good friend take this opportunity to be generous without letting her feel indebted. We all have to take care of each other and you never know when the shoe will be on the other foot. Besides, in 5 years will you really miss that extra $100? Bet we all spend that much on treats & coffee throughout the year (which probably just adds to our fitting woes). I've never regretted random acts of kindness and I can tell you when I needed help it seems as though an angel would come to my rescue ... just sayin .... :)
-- Edited on 6/6/13 8:47 AM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> How much is a featherweight worth?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

McCall's 6606

photo
by: Sewlful

Review
Jamie Christina Abbey Coat Pattern (JC314AC)

Jamie Christina Abbey Coat Pattern (JC314AC)

Buy Now
8 1/2 inch LEFTY Dressmaking Shears

8 1/2 inch LEFTY Dressmaking Shears

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.