SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Anyone bought from Mood Fabrics with a non-US credit card? ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Anyone bought from Mood Fabrics with a non-US credit card?
Any tips for buying with an NZ credit card and shipping to a US address?
lyndle
star
lyndle  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 3/19/06
Send Message

Date: 6/5/13 7:12 PM

Has anyone bought from Mood using a foreign credit card and shipping within the US?

I had a happy time selecting stuff on Mood's website - lovely fabrics.
When I came to check out, I checked the postage to NZ - it came out as $74 for $110 worth of fabric so I decided to use a transshipping service. This means Mood posts domestically to the transshipper who will later charge me for postage to NZ. So, I used the Domestic Checkout.

My credit card was rejected with a message that the address wouldn't verify. I have tried various permutations and rang my credit card provider to check the format etc of the address.

I emailed Mood Customer Service:
**Me: I am trying to place an order and keep getting an AVS error - billing address mismatch. I have checked with card provider and they advise address correct and suggest must be formatting issue.
I am putting in: [address] . There is no format suggested for phone number so I omitted all brackets, + etc. Suggestions? Thanks

**Mood:** Hello, Is this an international order you are trying to place ? Thanks, [name]

**Me:** Hi, The credit card is international (NZ) but the delivery address is USA. Cheers.

**Mood:** Hello I do understand but you must place the order again on our new website because we do not really have access to the old one.

**Me:** Hi, What do you mean by your new website? I was here:
http://www.moodfabrics.com/ and just went through the normal checkout process. Can you give me more details of what I should do?
**me:** Hi again
By the way - I tried going through International Checkout and the charge to ship to the US was going to be $74 (US). So that is not an option for me. Sadly, unless there is a solution where I can use my NZ credit card and ship within the US at normal prices, I won't be able to buy from you.
I feel sure, though, that this should be possible as I regularly buy things from EmmaOneSock, Ebay sellers, Amazon, Lekala etc using my NZ Visa. I'll wait for your advice! (I can fax the credit card details if that will work for you).
Just let me know

**Mood:** [radio silence, for what I presume is a US working day - the one just finishing now]

I hope they are working on this but in the meantime does anyone have any advice? I've never had this problem with any other seller. Has anyone run across this with an online seller? What did you do? Mood looks great so it would be a shame not to be able to buy from it, but that p&h is outside my budget. :-)

-- Edited on 6/5/13 7:16 PM --

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 6/5/13 8:24 PM

I have not bought from Mood, but with other US sites I have found it easier to place the order and call in the credit card number. Or just place the order over the phone.

It used to be that Atlantic Thread could not accept a non US address, although they shipped to other countries. I would place my order, put in their own address and call with my cc number.

Does Mood take Paypal? That maybe another option for you.

I have to order form a local company every Friday. They keep asking me to place my order online, but their online ordering process is so cumbersome it takes over an hour to place the order or 5 minutes on the phone.

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

lakaribane
star
lakaribane
Beginner
HAITI
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 6/5/13 8:58 PM

I have never bought from Mood but I once tried unsuccessfully to buy shoes online. I emailed them and they suggested a way to override the address thing.

IIRC, you put your real address in Street name, and a particular state in the appropriate box with 99999 or 00000 for zip code.

At the current rate, an international phone call is out of the question, no matter how appealing the sale or item.

------
Fashion Maté, where I blog about what I (eventually) sew : http://fashionmate.blogspot.com
Addicted to Pinterest? Me too! : http://pinterest.com/lakaribane/

lyndle
star
lyndle  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 3/19/06
Send Message

Date: 6/5/13 9:04 PM

Thank you! Yes it's hard to call from here both because of the cost and the time difference. 8am on the east coast is roughly midnight here.
Mood doesn't have paypal. I am just surprised because I buy online and often use the transshipper as well and have never had a problem before. Hopefully they will send me a fax number I can use.

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

In reply to lyndle <<

Date: 6/5/13 9:25 PM

It appears that Mood has not improved their service with the new website which isn't all that great after a year in the works. Don't hold your breath the customer service is dreadful. I'd send an email attention Eric with your complaint. He's one of the owners or try eric@moodfabrics.com

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

lyndle
star
lyndle  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 3/19/06
Send Message

In reply to Nancy K <<

Date: 6/5/13 9:49 PM

Thanks Nancy - that's pretty much what I wanted to know and was beginning to suspect. I did wonder if it was just a cultural expectation of mine re customer service, but obviously that's not it (and indeed it's not my experience with other vendors). Hmmm - I'll rethink whether I want to spend the $100 with them and if so I'll take your advice and email Eric.

carolynw
starstarstar
carolynw  Friend of PR
Advanced
ON CANADA
Member since 3/19/05
Send Message

In reply to lyndle <<

Date: 6/6/13 11:57 AM

It happened to me this week end - not with Mood but with Sew Vac To ship to Canada is a huge amount so a relative said she would take the parcel and mail on to me - not possible came the reply as my Visa card has to have the same shipping and delivery address in this case - tried Allbrands and the same thing.

What was I trying to buy that caused the problem - the Center Guide Foot for my Janome Coverpro. Spoke to Stan at Sew Vac and it turns out there have been some problems before with Canadian buyers refusing to pay the tax on delivery so they (seller) end up having to pay the tax and return costs. That is what is alleged and if true I can quite understand.

Apparently Janome dealers have a loose pact not to cross border ship and undercut each others' business - also understandable but I have used my Credit Cards to buy in one place and ship to another as a present. The galling thing is this - Canada and the USA are next door neighbours - good neighbours
We may spell some words differently :):) we use the "U" in colour and neighbour and other words. Good gosh I do believe our leaders have signed a Free Trade Agreement so ----

I have now found a dealer in Canada who ordered the part on Monday - as of today I have no idea whether or not it's on it's way and as a final kudo to my American neighbours Sewing Parts Online took an order for all the other other stuff and sent me a tracking number on Monday evening - you win some and you lose some!!

annekecaramin
annekecaramin
Intermediate
BELGIUM
Member since 2/16/12
Send Message

Date: 6/6/13 12:18 PM

I once wanted to buy something from Mood and when I called to ask about the international shipping rates they told me it would be 150 dollars to ship it to Europe, for three yards of fabric! I thought it was ridiculous so I cancelled the order and asked a friend in New York to pick it up in store and send it to me, which cost around 20 dollars. I asked the girl on the phone why the price was so high and she just said it was the normal rate for UPS, which still seemed very high to me. This and getting things delivered by UPS here is hellish, they don't have a place to pick up parcels so you have to stay home all day and they ALWAYS charge extra costs for things from the USA, no matter what the value is. If I were you I'd ask someone in the USA to order it for you and pay them back.

------
http://annettetirette.blogspot.com

lyndle
star
lyndle  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 3/19/06
Send Message

Date: 6/7/13 5:16 AM

I emailed Eric as Nancy suggested and received a reply saying they were working on it, and then one today saying I can email the order and then pay by phone. Guess I'll have to suck it up and pay for the phone call. It seems amazing that I'm the first person to raise this but credit to Mood for finding a way. I have asked if I can fax it but that's probably a bit old school now.
Anneke, if it's any help I've ordered often from EmmaOne Sock and she says on her site international postage is usually less than quoted, and it is. I have found it is usually about 30 to 50 % of the quoted postage and she will email you the final cost before cutting. I can use my NZ credit card with no problems and the fabric usually arrives within a week. Not bad for 12000km away!

goosegreen
starstarstar
goosegreen  Friend of PR
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 1/9/05
Send Message

In reply to lyndle <<

Date: 6/7/13 5:23 AM

Lyndle, I'm interested to know which shipping company you're using. I've just discovered HopShopGo and one of their vendors is Fabric.com. Dangerous. How expensive is the shipping cost to NZ with your company?

Oh & if you're ever looking for cheap Guterman thread or other notions, here's some other dangerous news for you. Joann's will accept an o/seas CC but will only ship to the USA. Could be handy one day.
-- Edited on 6/7/13 5:24 AM --

------
Alison in suburbia - Sydney Australia
My sewing blog: http://nosilasews.blogspot.com/

Keeper of the flock - Janome MC8000, Janome MC4900QC, Elna Elina 40, Husqvarna Rose, Janome DC2101, Singer 201K, Elna Contessa, Janome My Excel 18W, Janome 634D & 534D overlockers, Janome Coverpro 1000CPX.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Anyone bought from Mood Fabrics with a non-US credit card?

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Self Drafted Pattern 173920-1003

photo
by: mesewlot

Review
Favorite Things Lounge Around Pattern

Favorite Things Lounge Around Pattern

Buy Now
Petite Plus 603 Pattern

Petite Plus 603 Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.