Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Plus Size Sewing > How to alter pattern for my friend ( Moderated by JEF)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
How to alter pattern for my friend
First foray into sewing for a plus size gal
ladyithis
star
ladyithis
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 6/5/08
Login to reply to this post

Date: 6/6/13 1:42 PM

Hi gals!

This forum was recommended to me while I'm trying to sew for a friend. Here's her measurements:

Height: 5'7" (when slouching, which she says is most of the time), but 5'9"
High Bust: 48"
Bust: 51.5"
Waist: 45"
Hips: 51"
Back waist length: 16"
Front waist length (over bust point): 17"
Between bust points (with bra on): 9.5"

So, I'm planning on making her a couple dresses from Simplicity's Khaliah Ali line 1623 and 2774. I'm starting with style A in 1623. After some discussion in the Fitting Woes forum, I decided I'm going to try to find some cheap knit to make a muslin from so I can fit it on her, but I would love ANY suggestions you gals have. I've never done a successful FBA (tried to modify Butterick 5882 to fit her and my FBA was a failure), since I'm a B-cup.

I'm planning to shorten the waist (by 1.75"), then use the size 26 pattern, grade to size 28 (+1" for waist), then FBA on the princess seams to 52", and then lengthen the skirt by 3".

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
ON CANADA
Member since 7/16/07

In reply to ladyithis <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/6/13 1:51 PM

The 28W looks like it's almost the right size already. Maybe just make a muslin of it as is. Although I've noticed that Simplicity's plus sizes add disproportionately large amounts of ease, so it might actually be too big. Only one way to find out.

P.S. I don't think you meant anything offensive by that "huge tracts of land" thing, but... I have friends who are much bigger than your friend, and they would not like being described that way (if that's what you meant).

-- Edited on 6/6/13 1:52 PM --

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

Photo: A long time ago

ladyithis
star
ladyithis
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 6/5/08

In reply to Vintage Joan <<

Date: 6/6/13 1:56 PM

Thanks Joan. The pattern only gives 1" of ease in the bust (and doesn't even mention the ease amount for the waist!), but I know what you mean by too much ease in the patterns (I usually experience that with a lot of the Big4 patterns these days).

No, I didn't mean any offense, but I can see how it could be taken... and I don't know how to go back and remove that in the subtitle. So sorry She's a very busty gal and I'm pretty much the opposite so I have nil experience when it comes to dealing with a much larger bust than patterns are drafted for.

Kim12469
starstarstar
Kim12469
Beginner
MT USA
Member since 3/27/08

Date: 6/6/13 2:20 PM

I was following your thread in the Fitting Woes forum. FWIW, I'm wondering if you are making this more complicated than it needs to be. No offense.

I tend to "cheat" a lot with FBA's and I have a very full bust. I re-read your friends measurements and my take is that you may not need an FBA. Her full bust and high bust aren't that different. I do think that she is short waisted for her height as am I. My back waist length is a whopping 13.5" and I'm 5'3".

This is what I tend to do for a lot of patterns, especially knits. I cut my size to match my full bust and waist. My proportions there are similar to your friends. But then across the shoulders and neckline, I cut the next smaller size. If I don't, then I look like I'm swimming. The neck is too big, the armcyes way too low, etc.

My process is start with the easiest way to fix the problem. I hate doing FBA's!

------
http://kimsewsilly.blogspot.com/

ladyithis
star
ladyithis
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 6/5/08

In reply to Kim12469 <<

Date: 6/6/13 2:25 PM

Kim, I would LOVE to find out that I'm making this more complicated than it needs to be I wouldn't be surprised if I'm over analyzing this because FIT FIT FIT has been drilled into my head from videos and classes I've taken over the years. I've figured out how to fir ME, just not anyone else who's much different from me.

I'll see about making the changes the way you suggested. Sounds a lot easier than trying to add a 1/2" on this seam or that seam. :)

Kim12469
starstarstar
Kim12469
Beginner
MT USA
Member since 3/27/08

In reply to ladyithis <<

Date: 6/6/13 2:40 PM

I should clarify that I'm in no way shape or form a fitting expert. I do what works for me. Someone asked me to teach them to sew and I was like "No Way" because I do what I do and it's probably all wrong!!!

eta: The other thing I would suggest is scroll through pattern reviews and find women who are similar in shape and size to your friend. Read their reviews! That's how I learned to do the FBA cheats, etc. I found those similar to me and copied what they did.
-- Edited on 6/6/13 2:41 PM --

------
http://kimsewsilly.blogspot.com/

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06

thumbsup 2 members like this.
Date: 6/6/13 3:01 PM

She does not seem that impossible to fit. In fact, rather evenly proportioned.

The Khaliah Ali patterns are roomy. I would try the pattern without any alterations, then work from there.

I would not make any changes for the slouching. A great outfit should make her feel proud, with her shoulders up and back.

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

ladyithis
star
ladyithis
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 6/5/08

In reply to Kim12469 <<

Date: 6/6/13 3:42 PM

I think the one I'm working with is pretty new because there aren't any reviews for it yetBut I'll poke around in here and see what other changes other gals have had to make.

ladyithis
star
ladyithis
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 6/5/08

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 6/6/13 3:45 PM

That's good to know, PattiAnn! Yeah, she's definitely hourglass shape in measurement (which is also different from my pear shape I'm used to working with). She says she's got low self-esteem (which probably constitutes the slouching), so I'm hoping the new garments will make her feel better about herself too :)

shajarataddurr
shajarataddurr
Member since 4/26/11

In reply to ladyithis <<

Date: 6/6/13 4:16 PM

Dear Lady,

I see that you've been a member for a very long time, but haven't made many posts. It's got to be hard to have people coming down on you for that "huge tracts of land" comment. So I won't get into that.

What I'm saying now, please understand that I'm saying it with love. I do not think that you should make the dress for your friend. In my opinion, and this is only my opinion, it will take a lot of experience, time, or money to do a good job for this lady who is already self-conscious about her looks.

Sewing for Plus Sizes isn't easy, which is why several designers have written entire books about it. The knit fabric is a good way to partially get around fitting problems, which is why so many RTW companies use it extensively in the plus sizes. But it is only a partial get-around. Clothes fit strangely and the look is not optimal. Altering a pattern to fit a plus-sized person is not easy because we are all plus-sized in different ways. If someone is very experienced, this may be done in one go, but for most of us, it will not.

In several posts, you've talked about hoping you could avoid making difficult alterations to the pattern. Sewing for a plus-sized person can take SEVERAL iterations before the pattern is modified to fit correctly. By correct fit, I mean that side seams fall correctly, princess seams are at the fullest point of each breast and the apex is correct, shoulder seams and space above bosom is correct, and the intersection between sleeves and body is right so that the blouse does not pull up when she raises her hand. Also, neckline and sleeve circumference must be managed correctly. And this is when the person sewing the pattern is experienced. Of course, this is your decision, but if you do not take the time to make it fit nicely, the garment will of course not enhance the woman's self-esteem.

Finally, to get a nicely-fitting garment, you will probably need to sacrifice some knit fabric. The top part, at least, including the upper sleeves, will need to be fitted once or maybe twice. It will be a near-miracle if this can be simply cut from the original fashion fabric and fit WELL on the first try. Muslins out of a different knit fabric may well look different. If it were me sewing it, I would go back to the store and buy three or four more yards of the fashion fabric to allow for these practices. That will cost $22.00 plus tax.

You may wind up putting much more into this than the painting is worth to you. Is it possible, again I am just stating my opinion, that you could instead work with so that she can get an understanding of what she wants to do to fit her body? She could then make informed decisions about how much time and money to sacrifice to get a good fit.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Plus Size Sewing >> How to alter pattern for my friend

Merchants on PR
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
Web site
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Fee: $49.00
(Regular $49.00)
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Online Sewing Classes
Put it on the Bias
Fee: $49.00
(Regular $49.00)
Put it on the Bias

Other Accessory Wardrobe 2010
photo
Review by christinas... on 9/30/10
Read Review

Oliver + S Sunday Brunch Jacket + A-Line Skirt Digital Pattern ( Size 6m-3T )
Oliver + S Sunday Brunch Jacket + A-Line Skirt Digital Pattern ( Size 6m-3T )

Details
Price: $13.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Oliver & S Forest Path Cape Digital Pattern ( Size 5-12 )
Oliver & S Forest Path Cape Digital Pattern  ( Size 5-12 )

Details
Price: $9.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Butterick 5677
photo
Review by nicegirl on 12/20/11
Read Review

Sew Liberated Reading Pillow
Sew Liberated Reading Pillow

Details
Price: $11.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

SewBaby The Hat Shoppe Pattern
SewBaby The Hat Shoppe Pattern

Details
Price: $12.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Kwik Sew 3924 Pattern
Kwik Sew 3924 Pattern

Details
Price: $10.99
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue 8786 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12-14 )
Vogue 8786 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12-14 )

Details
Price: $22.50
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN