SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > How do you build a useful fabric stash? ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
How do you build a useful fabric stash?
how to build a useful fabric stash
Mme Ferey
Mme Ferey  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/7/13 2:16 PM

Hi, Quilters!

I'm a longtime garment sewer who just finished piecing my first quilt top. Now I'm in love with quilting, learning as much as I can, and thinking about establishing a stash.

For garment sewing, I pretty much bought fabric for my current project and didn't like having much on hand, so building a stash is a new concept for me.

Do any of you have a principled approach to building your stash? Do you try to have a wide range of colors and lights/darks all the time? Do you mostly have fat quarters or other pre-cuts or yardage or both? How much do you buy at once?

I'd love to hear how more experienced quilters approach this!

Thanks!

Eowyn

Franksdottir

Franksdottir  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08
Send Message

In reply to Mme Ferey <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/7/13 2:25 PM

I have a totally unprincipled way of building a stash. Ask my DH. Or anyone else who has ever been in my house and actually lived to tell the tale. (Not many.)

I am not the right one to ask. It turns out that buying fabric is like breathing for me. Fortunately, my DH is a saint.

------
Barb

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

Date: 6/7/13 2:53 PM

I found when I was new to quilting that it was VERY very easy to fall in love with beautiful prints, so that's what I bought.

Then when it comes time to put the quilt together, you have to buy solids or simple tone on tone fabrics for sashings and borders and bindings and just to have some contrast.

I hated having to wait for the solids, so I started buying them in larger quantities. Like 4 yards at a time, or get jelly rolls in solids. Now I know when I see that gorgeous print I probably already have some solids to work with.

I make a lot of quilts for kids so I have lots of bright colors on hand.

I still do of course buy prints I fall in love with, it's like a compulsion...See pretty fabric MUST BUY pretty fabric! Or for me cute kid's fabric has just as strong a pull. I LOVE adorable fun colorful kid's fabric!

------
Cathryn

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to Mme Ferey <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 6/7/13 3:29 PM

Ok down the rabbit hole you've come. They will all stone me for this since I'm am a great fabric buying enabler. But I would suggest not building a stash just yet. Continue to go and buy what's needed for current projects. This way you can learn your tastes in quilting fabrics and what you like. Otherwise if you just to buy to buy you might wind up with a lot of fabric you won't use. After a while will be in instinct for what goes together and you may see a piece that would go perfect with something you already have.There is so much fabric out there it's quite easy to get overwhelmed by the choices and want everything that strikes your fancy. Another reason not to build up a huge stash as fabric has gotten quite expensive so you really have shop to get the best prices. But Don't worry that's what we are here for. Now all I just said that that applies to yardage only. You can buy all the charms, fat quarters, layer cakes, strips your heart desires. When you do find stuff you really really like buy 3 yards if you can. That will insure you will have enough for a project. And watch the novelty prints. They can sneak up on you and you might find you can't use them as much as you thought. Take it from who knows and from one that have yards and yards of real looking animal fabric cos I love animals. I've made one quilt using them.
Oh and a hint whatever you do don't look Stonehenge fabric. If you do, don't say we didn't warn you. Also best to let someone else hold on to your credits cards. They do have occasion to melt here and there.

Also don't forget thread

Thread
-- Edited on 6/7/13 3:37 PM --

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

aslinnd

aslinnd
Advanced Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 5/28/07
Send Message

Date: 6/7/13 6:22 PM

When it comes to fabric stashing you tend to learn the hard way what works and what doesn't. When I first started I just bought 1 or 2 meters of whatever I liked for 'someday' and I ended up with a lot of med value prints of all types.

When I got myself under control I realized that my go to fabrics were mostly batiks and hand dyed - and more recently some solids.

I also bought fewer yards and more layer cake type sizes especially for prints. And made an effort to get both lights and darks. I have a good stash but not huge, I also recommend some swatch book or record so you don't buy the same fabric more than once.

aslinnd

aslinnd
Advanced Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 5/28/07
Send Message

Date: 6/7/13 6:22 PM

Sorry double post
-- Edited on 6/7/13 6:23 PM --

Franksdottir

Franksdottir  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf <<

Date: 6/7/13 6:32 PM

Glory be, Quiltingwolf has joined Enablers Anonymous!!!!!

Actually, she has given you very good advice.

------
Barb

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to Franksdottir <<

Date: 6/7/13 7:21 PM

Enables Anonymous never heard of it

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

In reply to Franksdottir <<

Date: 6/7/13 7:55 PM

Quote: Franksdottir
Glory be, Quiltingwolf has joined Enablers Anonymous!!!!!

------
Cathryn

Mme Ferey
Mme Ferey  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/12
Send Message

Date: 6/7/13 9:09 PM

Thanks so much all! This is definitely helpful.

It took me just one trip to Fabric Depot to figure out that "buying (all) the stuff I like" would be a ruinous path ... I appreciate your comments.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> How do you build a useful fabric stash?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Kwik Sew 3524

photo
by: Ms. McCall

Review
You Sew Girl 150mm Purse Frame Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 150mm Purse Frame Purse Pattern

Buy Now
THE BASIC SLEEVE, a CD book by Kenneth King

THE BASIC SLEEVE, a CD book by Kenneth King

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.