SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Should you finish the edges of all your unhemmed seams? (woven fabric) ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Should you finish the edges of all your unhemmed seams? (woven fabric)
When to finish your edges and when to leave them alone
sewgerenuk
sewgerenuk
Beginner
Member since 5/30/13
Send Message

Date: 6/7/13 7:38 PM

Iím making a pencil skirt out of a polyester gabardine that tends to fray at the edges. The pattern instructions donít call for me to finish the side seams or the vent and Iím worried about how this will do in the wash.

How should I finish the edges? Or should I just use an overcast stitch for all the seams and leave the edges alone?

Iím having trouble using the overcasting stitch because of tunneling. The fabric is just too flimsy and I donít want to have to interface the entire side seam, and it still tunnels with the interfacing anyway. I'm pretty sure it's not a tension issue and Iím using a brand new size 9 needle with an overcasting foot. Should I just buy a temporary wash-out fabric stabilizer/stiffener?

The garment will be lined and it has a 5/8" seam allowance.

mgmsrk1
mgmsrk1
Intermediate
Member since 12/16/12
Send Message

In reply to sewgerenuk <<

Date: 6/7/13 8:16 PM

On any flat seams I would use french seams and since over cast stitches are giving you a problem zig zag is unlikely to help so I would do bias tape bound seems.

If the fabric frays now it will not improve with washing and wearing.

------
1968 Kenmore 158. (AKA The Hulk)
Bernina 230
Janome 6600 (for sale)
Janome 7700
Juki 600
Elna serger
Kenmore serger
Janome 1000 CoverStitch
Juki 8500 Industerial

KathleenS
starstar
KathleenS  Friend of PR
Intermediate
International AUSTRALIA
Member since 11/18/02
Send Message

Date: 6/7/13 8:43 PM

Or you could use pinking shears, but I guessing you don't have those. I agree you should do some sort of edge finish or you're going to have constant problems with frayed threads hanging from your skirt (by the sound of your fabric).

simplystitches
simplystitches
New York USA
Member since 2/12/06
Send Message

Date: 6/7/13 9:50 PM

Since the skirt is going to be lined and an overcast stitch is tunneling what I would do is use a straight stitch as close to the cut edge as you can. The fabric will still fray up to that point but not past it.

Debbie

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/7/13 10:35 PM

I have a few old garments, including a shirt I made for a boyfriend, that have very fine fabric and as an impatient teenager, I just zig zagged over the edges, either with the seam allowances together or pre-stitched before sewing the pieces together. Once they are pressed they lie very flat. If I had known they would still be in existence after all these years (in a trunk- not worn) I might have taken a little more care, but honestly, you cannot tell from the outside. The boyfriend is still around, too!

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/7/13 11:17 PM

You do not want the finished edge to leave an imprint when the garment is pressed.

The lining well eliminate a lot of the fraying.

Before the home serger became available, we stitched 1/4 inch from the raw edge and then trimmed with linking shears.

Fiskers brand works well and they are not too expensive.
-- Edited on 6/7/13 11:19 PM --

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Marie367
Marie367
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to sewgerenuk <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/7/13 11:55 PM

Before I had a serger, I would zigzag just inside the edges (never on the edge) and trim. Pinking shears are great too. I might even do both zigzag just inside the edge and then trim by pinking.

sewgerenuk
sewgerenuk
Beginner
Member since 5/30/13
Send Message

In reply to mgmsrk1 <<

Date: 6/8/13 4:20 AM

Unfortunately both side seams are curved, (they follow the hip down to the knee) so I'm guessing french seams will add too much bulk and distort the curve. I'm not sure bias tape here won't produce the same problem. Am I wrong?

sewgerenuk
sewgerenuk
Beginner
Member since 5/30/13
Send Message

Date: 6/8/13 4:23 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies. Pinking shears seem to be getting the popular vote. I actually do have a pair I inherited but I've never used them before. I usually sew knits and just overcast everything. How do pinked edges hold up over time?
-- Edited on 6/8/13 4:24 AM --

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 6/8/13 5:21 AM

Depends on the fabric but usually lasts long past the time you out grow or style changes.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Should you finish the edges of all your unhemmed seams? (woven fabric)

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Technique of Underlining Garments
The Technique of Underlining Garments

Register

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

BurdaStyle Downloadable 6032

photo
by: tinflutter...

Review
New Look 6150

photo
by: Peggysclos...

Review
THE COLLARS - A CD Book by Kenneth King

THE COLLARS - A CD Book by Kenneth King

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Plaza Jacket & Pants Pattern

Sewing Workshop Plaza Jacket & Pants Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.