SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Where is all the batting??? ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Where is all the batting???
Can hardly find ANY!
Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

Date: 6/7/13 9:54 PM

I had to get a king sized batting for my swirl quilt, and I couldn't believe how hard it was to find any!

There is plenty of Warm Co batting, but I don't like their batting.

I was able to find Quilter's Dream battings too, but not a whole lot in king size, and they don't even have bamboo/cotton.

I couldn't find ANY Luna battings, anywhere! No bamboo/cotton anywhere!

The only other brand I was able to easily find was Hobb's, and if I am going to get cotton I may as well get Warm n Natural. I have never used Hobb's poly blends, and I was not willing to risk it, I have VERY limited funds right now.

So I ended up with Quilter's Dream Orient. I have one in a queen size (too small for my swirls) and it IS incredibly soft, but I haven't used it yet, so I HATE taking chances with this swirl quilt!

Where do you guys find a nice selection of batting? And does anyone know where to get bamboo/cotton?

------
Cathryn

lelliebunny
star
lelliebunny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/24/12
Send Message

Date: 6/7/13 10:21 PM

I have no idea. I've never used bamboo or a bamboo blend. I'd love to hear if you find a good source. I normally use the dream cotton.

------
it doesn't matter what type of sewing you do. you are sewing, and sewing is good.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/7/13 11:26 PM

Have you ever used batting seam tape to piece the batting? Would two twins = equal a king?

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

PattyGee
PattyGee  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 11/12/03
Send Message

In reply to Cat n Bull <<

Date: 6/8/13 1:01 AM

I just bought some at the Hancock Fabrics store I think it was a king size. It was bamboo cotton. There was only one package of it and it was 40% off. I would call the store first, I check their website for you and it isn't listed. I have the bamboo fusible but it is a mess to deal with.

------
Patty
Bernina 530, Bernina 200e with upgrade 730, BL Enlighten Serger, BL Coverstitch and Juki TL-2010Q.

PattyGee
PattyGee  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 11/12/03
Send Message

Date: 6/8/13 1:02 AM

Found this on Fabric.com

http://www.fabric.com/quilting-fabric-quilter-39-s-notions-quilt-batting-kyoto-bamboo-blend-batting-(120-x-120-)-king.aspx

------
Patty
Bernina 530, Bernina 200e with upgrade 730, BL Enlighten Serger, BL Coverstitch and Juki TL-2010Q.

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

Date: 6/8/13 1:13 AM

I don't quilt at all, but this might be helpful? Harriet Hargrave Batting Guide
It's a laminate card for $7.95 I found it at Stonemountain and Daughter in Berkeley, CA. Their website description is-

Quote:
Tri-fold, laminated card form information booklet- vital information about choosing the right batting for your quilting project. Covers Cotton, Wool, Polyester and Silk batting; includes tips on testing batting as well as brand and fiber content character

Stonemountain is a beloved store for a wide variety of fabrics, patterns and so on. A lot of quilters use their shop. A few years ago I wandered over to their batting section and felt lovely fluffy things including wool and silk. Why not call them and ask about what they have and can sell you? I've always found the staff to be knowledgeable and helpful. I'm sure from the above link you can get to their contact info. They are open 7 days a week.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

AminaHijabi
star
AminaHijabi
Advanced Beginner
Member since 10/22/10
Send Message

Date: 6/8/13 2:01 AM

I used light-weight fusible interfacing cut in strips to join batting. I have an entire quilt whose batting is entirely odd scraps joined this way. Once you quilt it you won't even notice the joins.

HDWen
star
HDWen  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Arizona USA
Member since 12/26/11
Send Message

In reply to AminaHijabi <<

Date: 6/8/13 2:48 AM

Quote: AminaHijabi
I used light-weight fusible interfacing cut in strips to join batting. I have an entire quilt whose batting is entirely odd scraps joined this way. Once you quilt it you won't even notice the joins.

I kinda scruff up the pieces of batting where I join them and with spray basting spray, it keeps them together while I quilt - You are right, you can't tell after the quilting is done!!

So far I've only used Warm and Natural low loft cotton I LOVE this! and the very cheap Walmart poly batting which requires a whole lot more spray basting to keep from getting crinkles in the backing!!!!

I haven't tried any Bamboo - Let us know how your search goes Cat and how you like it? I am really hooked on the Warm and Natural low loft and love that you can tell which side to put UP for quilting...

Good luck!!

wow the Swirls is King Size!!! No, don't risk that for any unknown batting no way all your hard, beautiful work

:-Debbie

------
I have a great enthusium for sewing, but lack talent to be great.

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

Date: 6/8/13 9:07 AM

I'm not too picky about batting I mostly stick with warm and Natural. I'm stickler for 100 natural fibers. And always buy it on sale as either Joanns has it on sale or I have a coupon.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

Date: 6/8/13 9:10 AM

Look here.

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Where is all the batting???

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Simplicity 2361

photo
by: SewingDo0f

Review
New Look 6194

photo
by: ALY

Review
Christine Jonson Tie-Back Top

Christine Jonson Tie-Back Top

Buy Now
SewBaby Poncho Pizazz Pattern

SewBaby  Poncho Pizazz Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.