SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Apparel quality quilting cotton? ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Apparel quality quilting cotton?
Deepika
starstarstarstar
Deepika  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Massachusetts USA
Member since 11/28/01
Founder
Send Message

Date: 6/7/13 10:21 PM

I primarily sew with knits for my 2 year old. But I recently started falling for the cute prints and colors of the cottons in my local yarn store and reading some of the blogs (made-by-rae.com). I just made a PJ pant for her and its super stiff and she doesnt want to wear it to bed. I dont blame her. I wouldnt either. Are there any designers you like which make soft cottons? Why can't all fabrics be soft like Liberty

------
- Deepika
Founder, PatternReview.com
Blog: http://www.deepikablogs.com

Nikki
starstarstarstar
Nikki  Friend of PR
Advanced
Maryland USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 6/7/13 11:46 PM

I have some quilting cotton from Anna Griffin that is garment-quality, soft and silky. There are a lot of fabrics under the label, and I don't know if they are all printed on the same high quality broadcloth or not...

------
mmmmm woooool

annekecaramin
star
annekecaramin
Intermediate
BELGIUM
Member since 2/16/12
Send Message

Date: 6/8/13 3:13 AM

I've used prints by Alexander Henry, Timeless Treasures, Cloud 9 and Michael Miller for clothes, usually skirts or dresses. I wouldn't use quilting cottons for pyjama pants though, I don't think that will ever turn out as comfortable as you want it!

------
http://annettetirette.blogspot.com

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 6/8/13 5:36 AM

I fall in love often with cotton colors & patterns and initially had no clue quilting cottons were different from wearables. Its hard to know on the Internet. I usually try for organics and natural to get them comfy and wearable.
All of my inherited quilts are soft and comfy and if I were a quilter that is what I would want to recreate.
Was told that chemicals, dyes and sizing are now common in quit fabrics and to wash. It takes lots of hot water, agitation and vinegar to soften. But over a number of washings most of them soften nicely.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

Diane333
Diane333  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 7/16/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/8/13 7:00 AM

Yes, you can find soft and comfortable cottons to wear either to bed or during the day. I am wearing my most recent PJ's at present and love the density of the weave and how soft and yet thick the fabric is. I don't know the manufacturer of my current PJ's, but I did buy the fabric from fabric.com and usually I look for the higher priced cottons and am not disappointed.

elizajo
star
elizajo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Louisiana USA
Member since 4/15/05
Send Message

Date: 6/8/13 8:03 AM

I make most of my pj pants from quilting cottons. It helps to buy them at a retail store where you can feel the fabric. Some are very soft and silky.

I've bought some fabrics for quilting from marmalade.com, who carries mostly modern prints, and found the store owner to be most helpful. You could e-mail her for recommendations.

------
Elizabeth

Deepika
starstarstarstar
Deepika  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Massachusetts USA
Member since 11/28/01
Founder
Send Message

In reply to elizajo <<

Date: 6/8/13 8:50 AM

Thanks for the recommendation. I will definitely check out the site.

------
- Deepika

Deepika
starstarstarstar
Deepika  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Massachusetts USA
Member since 11/28/01
Founder
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/8/13 9:08 AM

So I did a little more digging and I am realizing that I should probably search for "Cotton Lawn", "Cotton Sateen" instead of just cotton. Hawthorne Threads has a bunch.

------
- Deepika

IreneDAdler
star
IreneDAdler
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 6/12/12
Send Message

Date: 6/8/13 10:51 AM

In the general category of apparel-appropriate quilting cottons, I second Michael Miller and Alexander Henry. For pajamas specifically though (especially for children), I think double gauze would be the best choice. Superbuzzy has lots of double gauze from different designers, and fabricworm occasionally has some (they just got some new Nani Iro in).

------
Visit my little corner of the sew-o-sphere: http://yousewlikeagirl.blogspot.com/

koo104
star
koo104
Advanced
Washington USA
Member since 1/25/04
Send Message

Date: 6/8/13 12:02 PM

The printed cottons out of Korea are some of the nicest I've seen in years, it would be marked on the selvage along with the textile brand. I've gotten some lovely ones at Pacfifc Fabric in the Washington area.
The best on line prints especially kid prints are from the Fabric Fairy. Her website is really cute.
Also Repro depo.,she used to be in the Seattle area and moved to Boston and went on line. She has tons of vintage prints.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Apparel quality quilting cotton?

Merchants on PR

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Class Details

Online Class
Leather 101
Leather 101

Class Details

Butterick 5890

photo
by: Sandi S

Review
Petite Plus Patterns Yoked Blouse

Petite Plus Patterns Yoked Blouse

More Info
Sew Chic Clara Bow Apron Pattern (ln102)

Sew Chic Clara Bow Apron Pattern (ln102)

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.