SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Wrights Bias Tape ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Wrights Bias Tape
Sharp decline in quality
ChrisSews
ChrisSews
Advanced
Idaho USA
Member since 10/19/04
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/8/13 9:10 AM

Has anyone else noticed the changes in Wright's bias tape lately? The current stock is made either in China or Pakistan, and it's the Pakistan variety I'm having trouble with. The stuff is inconsistent in width, both in the single and double fold types, and wider than the tapes made in China--making it tough to combine the two in the same project. Other faults include sloppy joins, the tape changing color at the joins (yellow to gray, for instance), tapes losing the fold along one edge so that it isn't even folded in, and sometimes turning it self inside out so that you're sewing along and somehow the tape was twisted in the making and now is folded in the other direction. I notice that it isn't even cut on the true bias, which means it does not turn corners smoothly but instead makes unsightly ripples. In all my years sewing, I've never seen such a rapid decline in quality as this.
-- Edited on 6/8/13 9:12 AM --

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to ChrisSews <<
thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 6/8/13 10:20 AM

Gave up on this notion many years ago and make my own as needed.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/8/13 10:20 AM

I haven't noticed but I am still using stash tape from years ago. Maybe a letter to Wright's corporate would help?

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

Annie- oh
star
Annie- oh
Intermediate
Colorado USA
Member since 2/7/04
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 6/8/13 10:34 AM

Thanks for these observations. One day I could have purchased some when I ran out of stash so, now, I'll always make my own like PattiAnnJ.

------
I try all things. I achieve what I can. "Moby Dick"

We stand here confronted by insurmountable opportinities. Pogo

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 6/8/13 5:44 PM

Same here. I do not know of a packaged bias tape that is worth purchasing.

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 6/8/13 7:42 PM

That is not good, have not bought any for years as have got so much saved up anyways, but my guess is it might be one of those things, that instead of raising the price on over time, maybe the quality or amount of it, goes down instead. Sort of even like the shrinking size of candy bars or cans of tuna even.

But I think that also is the only brand of it, even sold in all the big chain fabric stores. Now and for just years and years past.

I do know I have some real nice 100 percent rayon of it and even 100% cotton from even before my time, and actually all of that, was made in a way it seemed to be of higher quality too, before they ever I guess started having it even be the polyester cotton blend.

You might want to tell them about it though, as maybe a problem with a batch or a factory or something and if everyone that has a problem with it does not complain to them, maybe it would never get better.

All of the ones I have got are pretty old but this is even what it used to say on the back of the package, on one of my packages dated 1986:

Guarantee
This material is fast in color and perfect in workmanship. Should it be faulty in anyway, making the entire article on which it is applied unusable, we will reimburse you for all the reasonable cost of your labor and all materials used in making the article. the claim must be
accompanied by the article.

I don't suppose it still says that on your new package, does it? Or maybe that still goes?

How do you know it was made in China, does it say that on it? All my really old packages do say made in USA Wm E. Wright West Warren, MA 01092

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to ChrisSews <<

Date: 6/9/13 7:30 AM

I believe this was made many years ago by Trimtex, of Williamsport, PA. Trimtex closed about 6 years ago and sent their product to China. Fortunately for me, if you want to call it that, I was able to salvage some of their beautiful laces and sold them to PR members. But since the manufacturing went overseas, I've heard nothing but complaints.

I too make my own bias tape. It's great because I can use it in a color that matches my fabric, or even the fabric pattern. And most importantly, it doesn't give me fits!

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

JKimes
star
JKimes  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
Member since 11/4/05
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 6/9/13 8:04 AM

This is yet another challenge for people new to sewing--if you don't know how to make your own and aren't yet confident enough to question the materials you purchase, sewing is just frustrating.
And if your only source of sewing supplies is a big chains, there are no alternatives.

------
Juliette near Austin, TX
Bernina 830LE
Bernina 350PE
Babylock Evolution
ElnaPro 905DCX
BabyLock Melody

MartiP
MartiP  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/5/12
Send Message

Date: 6/9/13 8:32 AM

It seems stiff with not as much "give" to go around curves smoothly.
I don't understand why so many of the current patterns use this as a neck and arm finish rather than a facing.
I, also, make my own if it is needed.

------
MartiP

Ruckertt's Law; There is nothing so small that it can't be blown out of proportion.

Bernina 1230 Bernette 007D
Brother CS6000i Brother 2340 CV
New Home L372
Singer 221K (off white)
U.S Blindstitch, Model SL 718/2D
Simplicity SE2
Brother 700II

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 6/9/13 12:14 PM

Here is a video showing how to make French folded bias binding (double folded binding).

If you want a 1/4" finished binding, you cut the strips 8 x 1/4" = 2" with the finished length 1:1 with the opening to be bound.

Make a sample to test this method if in doubt.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Wrights Bias Tape

Merchants on PR

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Class Details

Online Class
Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Class Details

La Mia Boutique Taglie Forti 09-2012-120

photo
by: wsm2408

Review
J Stern Designs The Tee Paper Pattern

J Stern Designs The Tee Paper Pattern

More Info
Favorite Things The Wrap Dress Pattern

Favorite Things The Wrap Dress Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.