SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Clenched jaw at night ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Clenched jaw at night
Exercises and night guard?
tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 6/8/13 10:14 AM

DH is going through a phase of clenching his teeth at night. I am going to pick him up a OTC night guard to try until he gets to his dentist, but I seem to recall a set of exercises I did at some time in the distant past. I have found some online intended for TMJ - any other advice?

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to tourist <<

Date: 6/8/13 10:17 AM

I don't have an answer, but I'll be watching this thread. I have an intermittent TMJ problem, from an accident years ago.

-- Edited on 6/8/13 10:17 AM --

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

In reply to Vintage Joan <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/8/13 10:27 AM

Joan - Here is a link to the exercises I found. Can't hurt to give them a try. I have also been told years ago to always use TUTALC (tongue up, teeth apart, lips closed) to relax the jaw. I keep forgetting about it, but I bet if used many times through the day it would help. I have given these both to DH, but he would prefer something "instant". Guys like the magic bullet and of course, don't do anything about a problem until, in the words of my physio "the wheels come completely off."

------

CSM--Carla
star
CSM--Carla  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 1/21/06
Send Message

In reply to tourist <<

Date: 6/8/13 10:58 AM

I am a bruxer. I needed to have all my teeth capped due to years of wearing them down because of this.

Does he snore?

One thing I found out about myself is that I clenched my teeth to prevent my jaw falling backward which caused sleep apnea.

An OTC guard is a good idea. After having all my dental work done, I am using somnomed appliance to prevent sleep apnea and protect my teeth. Not sexy--but it works.

Here's an ad for dentists for somnomed: just to give you an idea what this is.

I think there are lots of other companies who offer this kind of device.

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

In reply to CSM--Carla <<

Date: 6/8/13 11:18 AM

DH does snore some, but I apparently snore more than he does now! LOL I am not waking up in the night hearing him snore anymore and I don't think he has ever had any cases of apnea. Of course the occasional one over the years due to a bad dream etc., but nothing I am concerned about. He does have trouble staying asleep these days, so if we can't solve it, I will suggest we look at apnea.

DD has a night guard from her dentist for grinding and says it works very well, so I am hoping it will do the trick for him, as well.

------

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

Date: 6/8/13 11:48 AM

I use a temp night guard at night and have for 18 months. I had no idea I clamped my teeth so hard at night. Before I got the temp guard, I clamped so hard I moved a new crown out of the spot it should be in. Now I have this 'space' between 2 of my lower right teeth, that I call the Grand Canyon. Everything gets caught in that thing. I can't get a new crown until Jan, as it has to be 5 years.

I occasionally forget to put the guard in at night. When I do, I wake up clinched and sore. I put it in and it relaxes my jaws. I do not want a perm one yet. I get a custom made temp one that lasts me a year or more from my dentist for $50. That will do for now and for years. The perm ones are very expensive.

------
Bernina 630, my much loved main machine
Bernina embroidery module
Pfaff 2036 my back up & travel machine
Babylock Molly, mechanical
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to tourist <<

Date: 6/8/13 11:50 AM

Thank you!

------

Sewliz
star
Sewliz  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 6/22/04
Send Message

In reply to tourist <<

Date: 6/8/13 12:05 PM

During a very stressful time a few years ago I got the TMJ diagnosis and went to physical therapy where they showed me exercises and game me massage which was helpful. What helped most though was being aware of my shoulder and jaw tension during the day and consciously relaxing. Sometimes when I woke at night I would find the tension and would relax. That and getting away from the stressful time made the tmj diminish. Sometimes it visits again when I get anxious or stressed but it never stays.

Last week I had a nasty cold and spent lots of time lying on the couch watching hulu and netflix. One of the most interesting shows was one on Hulu about tooth grinding in a series called "Remedy Me". Very positive and informative shows in that series.

------
Liz

thefittinglife.blogspot.com

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to Sewliz <<

Date: 6/8/13 12:10 PM

Thanks -- is THIS the same video? I can't access that Hulu one from Canada.

------

Sewliz
star
Sewliz  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 6/22/04
Send Message

In reply to Vintage Joan <<

Date: 6/8/13 12:18 PM

Yes, that's it! Do I remember correctly that the series is made in Canada?

------
Liz

thefittinglife.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Clenched jaw at night

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
More Knits
More Knits

Class Details

Online Class
Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Class Details

Pamela's Patterns #104

photo
by: PattyE

Review
Sew Liberated Simple Skinny Jeans Pattern

Sew Liberated Simple Skinny Jeans Pattern

More Info
You Sew Girl Kids Beret Pattern

You Sew Girl Kids Beret Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.