SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Customer loyalty programs ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Customer loyalty programs
Have they changed your shopping habits?
tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 6/9/13 10:42 AM

Thinking about this in relation to another post. I definitely have changed some of my shopping habits due to these, particularly my drug store buying.

I go to the drug store less frequently
I buy big ticket items on bonus points days or spend the points bonus days
I buy larger quantities of some products
I will try new, more expensive products on "free" days as I feel it is less like I might be wasting $$
I have occasionally bought certain items at other stores or without using my card as I don't wish them to be tracked.
I will toss a few groceries in the cart to make up the required amount to get to a bonus.

Anyone else?

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 6/9/13 11:59 AM

No. I don't want to waste gas driving around from store to store.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Kemish
star
Kemish  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 4/24/06
Send Message

Date: 6/9/13 1:06 PM

The grocery store does have a loyalty program and I do shop at the same grocery store again and again, but not really because of their loyalty program, but rather I know where everything is so I can get in and get out without much fuss. There are two other grocery stores (same chain store/same loyalty program) that I could go to, but their shelves/products are arranged differently and it would take me more time to shop.

I do get the JoAnn's fabric flyer (which has discount coupons in it) but more often than not I don't use them. Either because I have enough fabric in my stash - which I am trying to sew down or I would rather got downtown to the Fabric District (or go on-line) and buy exactly what I want vs. something close at JoAnn's.

------
Kemish

dove29

dove29  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 4/28/07
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/9/13 1:32 PM

I am annoyed by some of them to the point where I shop somewhere else. And I do shop without the card & pay cash sometimes to avoid being tracked.
One supermarket near here always seems to have the rewards fixed so you need to be buying groceries for a family in order to get anything significant. They used to have coupons, and some of them were for produce. I was not blessed with children. I mostly shop where they have enough cashiers.
2 big drugstores here have loyalty cards. What it really means is that if you don't have the card, you don't really know what price they will charge you. I'm annoyed, but I'm stuck; there's no place else on my side of town.
Barnes & Noble has one but you have to pay for it, and now there is almost no selection of music & not as good a selection of books either. I still go if the indie place doesn't have what I want, but I haven't signed up.
Boston Store (Bon Ton) seems to have something. Somehow I got on their mailing list for coupons. Couldn't use the last one. They no longer carry my shoe size, I have trouble finding clothes that fit, and I had no luck in the handbag department.
Had frequent flyer cards forever, and all the miles have been zapped (twice).
-- Edited on 6/9/13 1:36 PM --

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to tourist <<

Date: 6/9/13 2:06 PM

Some stores I shop have these programs. some don't .. I don't shop or buy anything due to these type programs.. but do scan my card in for any discounts etc.. So. I can say. they have not changed my shopping habits in the least. I simply don't have time to worry about where to to buy what and which store...

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

thumbsup 7 members like this.

Date: 6/9/13 8:52 PM

Oh, heck yeah!

1.) Love the one from Panera. You don't have to do anything but scan your card, and they regularly send you free stuff that doesn't expire. It's become a regular haunt for business meetings.

2.) We use the Walgreens ones all the time, too. It's a little confusing b/c there's a regular (free) loyalty card to use on merchandise & rack up points for discounts... and a paid prescription savings card... but we have saved A TON on prescriptions for ourselves and our pets, plus you earn regular points on your prescriptions, as well. We get $5-$10 off our purchases there about every other time we shop. Since they carry a lot of things our supermarkets don't, it's a nice program for us.

3.) DSW--it's pretty much the only place I buy shoes anymore, because they send coupons and $$ so often.

4.) Our grocery store just started a fuel saver plan, and DH and I are arguing about it at the moment. He says it's a gimmick, and that you don't make up the money you "save" on gas because the item prices are inflated... but I say if I'm spending $7.00 on our brand of laundry soap anyway, 15 cents a gallon goes a long way! That almost amounts to a free gallon when he fills up his SUV.

5.) Fabrics-store.com: You earn points on every purchase + coupon codes every time you order. I have gotten quite a lot of free linen over the years!!

However, there are definitely some worthless ones out there! I've had a Michael's card for 2 years, and I don't think I've ever earned a single "reward" or gotten any benefit from it at all. They used to send absolutely silly private sale emails... what do I care if all paper punches are 15% off next Wednesday morning before 10 am?! Just send me $5.00 every time I spend $50, and we'll all be happy (like our hardware store).

For them to be worth it:
1.) It has to be free to join, or SUCH a savings (like the prescription plan) that it will unquestionably pay for itself within a use or two.

2.) It has to be for places you already shop frequently,

3.) And they have to give rewards you can actually use. Money is best, but free pastry is good, too. :D

------
~Gem in the prairie

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

Date: 6/9/13 9:45 PM

I use the Starbucks and Panera ones, because we go there anyway, so it only benefits me. I miss the Noodles & Co punch cards and free bowl coupons, those got used.

I hate punchcards that expire and I hate the grocery drug store cards that you must use to get the reasonable prices, but they track all your purchases. Plus I hate all those tags, which peel, crack, and get lost.

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/9/13 10:25 PM

Oh yes, I have rules for these things. They must not cost money, must not be more difficult to use than flashing a card, must be for stores I already use and are in my normal rounds. I won't buy things I don't need or buy in quantities beyond what I can easily foresee using. A spare toothpaste or two is fine, but not a year's supply! And if it appeared that prices were inflated, I would definitely not use it. Safeway is a bit weird that way, but I rarely shop there anyway.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

Sew Confused
star
Sew Confused
Intermediate
Member since 7/13/07
Send Message

Date: 6/9/13 10:54 PM

I've never even heard of loyalty programs like the ones you're describing, with points and "free" days and whatever.

------
Paula

"In Seattle you haven't had enough coffee until you can thread a sewing machine while it's running."
- Jeff Bezos, Amazon.com founder

Visit my blog at www.sewconfused.blogspot.com

dresscode

dresscode  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 7/28/04
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/9/13 10:55 PM

When you "sign up" for a loyalty card or program you are providing more in-depth marketing demographic info to that corporation. They in turn use internally but more important, sell that broad marketing info to other companies....aka database marketing.

I read years ago that some companies make more selling marketing info (and credit card stats) than selling merchandise.

If I look at a dress on the Nordstrom site, they immediately track that and post on my Facebook page an ad for the same dress saying "take another look".

This is how fast that info gets used.

I decline all cards no matter what "discount" is offered. I don't give out phone numbers to cashiers either.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Customer loyalty programs

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

StyleArc Olive Spliced Tee

photo
by: Robin Denn...

Review
PerfectFuse Light Black

PerfectFuse Light Black

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Joplin Pullover Pattern

Sewing Workshop Joplin Pullover Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.