SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Spaces > Ideas for lightweight portable cutting table AND ironing surface? ( Moderated by Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Ideas for lightweight portable cutting table AND ironing surface?
stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/10/13 5:29 PM

I'll admit it: I'm a happy dining-room-floor cutter! But in my (ahem) "advancing" age (turning 39 in 3 weeks ) I've developed a shoulder problem aggravated by working on the floor, and I'm also trying to just stand/move around more in my daily life. So I'm giving serious thought to graduating to a cutting table arrangement of some sort. But it has to be collapsible(ish), as the dining room is pretty cramped as it is.

...But here's the kicker: if I do this, I would also really love for it to double as a secondary ironing station. I have an ironing board permanently set up in my bedroom (where I iron our clothes!), but I'm dashing all over the house now. Is there some sort of combination ironing/cutting table arrangement that I do not have to build Could I adapt the JoAnn's folding cutting table (or the like) for an ironing/pinning surface without destroying its foldability?

Am I making any sense?

Ideas?
Thanks!!

------
~Gem in the prairie

justgail

justgail
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 1/19/06
Send Message

In reply to stirwatersblue <<

Date: 6/10/13 8:56 PM

I was thinking making a pressing pad to use on the wood folding tables like you can buy at W*mart, until I realized you are talking about bigger.

You could make an ironing pad for a Joann type table, BUT - I think you'd need to make sure no heat or steam got through. I don't know what that laminated surface is, but it seems suspiciously like a plastic.

Would it work to get a folding cutting table, and then use a padded folding TV table for when you aren't doing big pressing jobs?

39?!?! Advanced age?!?! Yer a young whippersnapper yet!!!

-- Edited on 6/10/13 8:56 PM --

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

In reply to justgail <<

Date: 6/10/13 9:07 PM

Quote: justgail
I was thinking making a pressing pad to use on the wood folding tables like you can buy at W*mart, until I realized you are talking about bigger.

Am I? I really have no idea. This is something I've never investigated before!

I *do* know I'm definitely looking for something bigger than my current ironing board. Although it occurs to me that I could just get a mini ironing board and put it on top of the folding cutting table. Hmm. That sounds easiest, but more things to store.

------
~Gem in the prairie

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 6/10/13 9:45 PM

Have you seen a Big Board? It's a larger pressing surface that fits over an ironing board. My dad made one for my mother, and she really likes it.Big Board

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

simplystitches
simplystitches
New York USA
Member since 2/12/06
Send Message

Date: 6/10/13 10:47 PM

I use one of the collapsible cutting tables from Joann's and I can't really see any way that you could use it with any sort of cover for ironing.

I do use it for steam shrinking wools with several blankets over it and can tell you that when I pull up the blankets the table top itself is fine (it's a laminate) but all the moisture from the steam is sitting on the top plus I have to throw the blankets in the dryer!

Now if you wanted to use a portable ironing board on top that would be fine but would it be big enough?

CM_Sews
CM_Sews
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 9/18/04
Send Message

Date: 6/11/13 1:23 AM

Possible inspiration:
Recently, I ran across these videos of Martha Stewart making
a) an oversized ironing board
and
b) a portable ironing pad.

Most interesting to me was her use of a fabric I had never heard of before, a thick sort of "pad" fabric used in Home Dec called "bump". Martha uses wool bump, but a quick Google reveals that bump is available in other fibers. I suspect that for an ironing surface, wool is probably best. For the ironing pad, she says they determined that 3 layers of teflon fabric worked best to protect the table top. Interesting tips and tricks I would not have thought of on my own.

Edited to add some additional info:
Marth tells where she got her Bump cloth (video)
Bump is also called Silence Cloth or Table Felt

CMC
Edited to fix a link.

-- Edited on 6/11/13 1:26 AM --

-- Edited on 6/11/13 1:23 PM --

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to CM_Sews <<

Date: 6/11/13 9:48 AM

Thanks for posting about this. I have the Joanns table and have no room in my sewing area for a full size ironing board. The ironing pad would be great for me.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 6/11/13 11:04 AM

I don't know your set up but if I need a larger surface, my kitchen island works great.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

path49
path49
Advanced
Illinois USA
Member since 2/25/08
Send Message

Date: 6/11/13 11:40 PM

I work at Hancocks & we have a folding cutting table made by Sullivan. The top is approx. 35" x 59" when it's opened up. AND Sullivan also makes a gridded & padded cover that fits the top for ironing. The table is on sale now for $99 & the ironing cover is $36.99. The table is called a hobby table & the cover is made especially for it. They're only available in stores...not online.

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 6/12/13 6:13 AM

Sullivans ironing pad or Golden Hands pad, both available at Allbrands. I've never seen or used the Sullivan product, but I've used Golden Hands ironing board covers and pads for years, and I've been known to make an emergency stop at Mary Jo's Cloth store in NC to see if there are more that I'd like to have.
-- Edited on 6/12/13 6:22 AM --

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Spaces >> Ideas for lightweight portable cutting table AND ironing surface?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

McCall's 6378 OOP

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
Victory Simone Paper Pattern

Victory Simone Paper Pattern

Buy Now
Victoria Jones Collection Happi Coat & Hanten (230)

Victoria Jones Collection Happi Coat & Hanten (230)

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.