SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fitting Woes > post your RTW pants that got you most of the way to your perfect pants pattern ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
post your RTW pants that got you most of the way to your perfect pants pattern
I'll start with one of mine
Mole Princess
Mole Princess
Member since 4/17/12
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/10/13 5:49 PM

I have wide hips, smallish waist, and a relatively flat rear with a tendency to "lowness" as far as where I have the most mass.

A pair of KMart Basic Editions RTW elastic-waist pants in a size larger than most people would pick for me fits amazingly well through the hips and crotch. They are definitely cut to be suitable to a flatter (not uber-flat but flatter) rear or a lower bulk. To fit really well for me I might lower the center back by 1/4" or 1/2" but that's about it. They have a wide leg but someone who wanted a narrower leg could narrow them easily enough.

I've learned a lot from RTW that almost fits and these with a bow-leg adjustment and CB adjustment would be very, very close.

A pair of culottes from WalMart in a bad loud plaid were cheap and also provided insight.

Anyone else want to mention currently available pants, cheap enough to take apart might be a plus, that got you close to your final pattern? Describe your shape and fit issues and then tell us where to go!

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 6/10/13 6:41 PM

Princess - I have not yet found time to go down the rabbit hole of pants fitting, but I do have a couple of pairs that are in the waiting area preparing to sacrifice themselves to that goal some day. And fabric in the stash, too. I just have to let go of the idea that I need a new ball gown every time I finish one (or before I finish one, or in some cases, before I even begin one..... ) and give myself time to do some other sewing for myself. Eager to see what comes up here.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

Rosalaya
Rosalaya  Friend of PR
Beginner
Member since 11/20/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/11/13 10:58 PM

Do love the description 'tendency to lowness'.
Thanks Mole Princess, still giggling here..

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 6/12/13 5:54 AM

I was shocked to find a decent-fitting pair of RPL pants at Target a few years ago, for under $30. They come in a variety of proportions labeled Fit 1 thru 4. One of this year's versions: Mossimo pants I wore them for 4 straight days in NYC, and once I found them and fell in love with them, I sure didn't want to take them apart. A little measuring and comparing convinced me that Mossimo must secretly be using Jalie 2909. The crotch length (both front and back), thigh width, etc was identical, when I dropped down one size for the front and went up one size for the back. All I had to do was design in some details like the pockets and the contour waistband (easy: just create the pattern by tracing the top few inches of the Jalie pattern.)
-- Edited on 6/12/13 6:00 AM --
-- Edited on 6/12/13 6:04 AM --

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Mole Princess
Mole Princess
Member since 4/17/12
Send Message

Date: 6/13/13 7:13 AM

Thanks, Karla! Very interesting that Target has the several fits. So you eased the larger back to the smaller front at the sides? It's not much longer at the sides, the size changes are more in width? And the easing serves your purposes anyway? Or do you use the width of the back, but shorten it to match the front?

Now I know you do this w/ both tops (from another thread) AND pants! :-) I feel quite emboldened. Actually, with today's tops that don't have a larger back armhole as older patterns do, you could be killing a lot of birds w/ one stone by doing that, I would think.

-- Edited on 6/13/13 7:14 AM --

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

In reply to Mole Princess <<

Date: 6/13/13 10:58 AM

No easing. I just adjusted the sideseam length at the waist edge; the difference between the front and back is so minimal that it would be impossible to determine whether it resulted from the accurate copying of the pattern or the inaccurate sewing of the machine operator. Probably the latter. I adjusted the leg length on the pattern to make sure the notches lined up, then aimed for a happy medium at the waist edge. I have no shame.

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Mole Princess
Mole Princess
Member since 4/17/12
Send Message

Date: 6/14/13 10:16 AM

Being pragmatic and flexible is no cause for shame! It takes skill to know when you can fudge. Thank you for sharing your secrets. I had never really thought before about how little side seam difference there would be. Makes sense, since we don't vary in height by as much as we vary in bulk.

MrsCharisma
starstarstarstar
MrsCharisma  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/1/13
Send Message

Date: 6/18/13 9:57 AM

I have several pair of those Mossimo jeans. I love them but I'm convinced that I need to shorten the front rise on every pair of pants I own to be 100% happy with them.

------
Nakisha
www.sewcraftychemist.blogspot.com
Singer Talent 3321 | Brother 1034D

My Big 4 Sizing: Medium | Tops 14/16 | Pants 18 | Skirts 16/18.

My Measurements: 36 HB | 38.5 FB | 34 W | 44 Hip

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/18/13 11:40 AM

You can make a pattern from your fav RTW pants without taking them apart. They need to be turned insode out and really smoothed so you can see those seams, then trace them allowing a nice seam allowance. In my case I added a wedge to the back so I would have a higher wist in the back since i always need to yank up pants I make unless I alter there. I did this and had almost the perfect pattern. One thing about making pants - there will always be creases somewhere because they need to move and fold as they are over two legs and a body part, so go easy on yourself.For a pattern I didn't draft I love Burda. It is my body shape and CC is well done. For some people this doesn't work though, so try a few out. Once you do have that master pattern you can make the legs narrow or wide, etc., etc. Do a false fly front or elastic or a waistband, it's all up to you.

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

MrsCharisma
starstarstarstar
MrsCharisma  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/1/13
Send Message

In reply to Mufffet <<

Date: 6/18/13 1:16 PM

I want to copy a fav pair of RTW trouser jeans and they are falling apart because of my love for them so I don't mind deconstructing them.

Would I still want to muslin considering they're literally disintegrating in places? LOL!! I hate muslining...but I'd be sad to buy some type of awesome fabric and ruin it...again...

------
Nakisha
www.sewcraftychemist.blogspot.com
Singer Talent 3321 | Brother 1034D

My Big 4 Sizing: Medium | Tops 14/16 | Pants 18 | Skirts 16/18.

My Measurements: 36 HB | 38.5 FB | 34 W | 44 Hip

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fitting Woes >> post your RTW pants that got you most of the way to your perfect pants pattern

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

New Look 6516

photo
by: Sheila457

Review
SewBaby The Hat Shoppe Pattern

SewBaby The Hat Shoppe Pattern

Buy Now
Lolita Patterns Olive Peplum Top Pattern

Lolita Patterns Olive Peplum Top Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.