SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Miscellaneous > the most comfortable shoes you have ever worn ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
the most comfortable shoes you have ever worn
if you have truly problem feet and legs--as in arthritis, fibromyalgia etc.
Mole Princess
Mole Princess
Member since 4/17/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/12/13 11:04 AM

Would love others' leads. I have very skinny feet, no fatty padding to speak of, and also very touchy tendons in toes, ankles etc., plus so-so knees. Soft and flexible soles are a must and what other people (salesmen anyway) call "flexible" isn't my idea of flexible. In addition I need enough room for an orthotic.

Orthotic-friendly shoes are often rigid on purpose, though they have good toe room and extra depth.

Currently I have worn every day for a year and a half a pair of brown suede lace-up sneakers or walking shoes, a several-year-old model by Easy Spirit. The sole is made out of something that looks as if it would NEVER have lasted this long, but it did. That's how soft and almost pillowy the sole is. You can poke your nail into it and leave a dent. It looks as if you could grab it and pull a chunk out of it. The forefoot is very flexible. I can fit my orthotics and one or two layers of the archless version of Spenco insoles, which I like even better than silicone. With all that--I am mobile. With knowing how to sew and accepting my lot in life--I have lots of brown pants and skirts, some tan, which make the shoes look like a reasonable choice that someone might even have made who didn't have my issues.

Would, though, love some other shoes and wondered (inspired by the over-60 thread . . . tho' I am under 50, barely . . . ) if anyone could describe their favorite, most-comfortable, better-looking shoes and say WHAT is comfortable about them? (Since that may be different for others.) And say where they can be bought?

Thanks!

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to Mole Princess <<

Date: 6/12/13 11:23 AM

My go to shoes have always been the walking shoe from Reebok. Never have any trouble with feet etc when I wear these. I'm currently using a knock off and you can tell the difference.

shoes

-- Edited on 6/12/13 11:25 AM --

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 6/12/13 11:36 AM

I am ashamed to say that in the two years since I discovered Croc's Patricia sandal, I have worn little else. http://www.crocs.com/crocs-patricia/10386,default,pd.html

Don't believe people who tell you that you can't go to dress-up evening performances at Lincoln Center/ Metropolitan Opera House in them. They lie.

PS: Skinny, bony feet with long flexible arches love these sandals.

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

kkkkaty
starstarstar
kkkkaty  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Utah USA
Member since 12/7/05
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 6/12/13 11:48 AM

I really like many (but not all) of the Born shoes. I can often find them at the Nordstrom Rack, if there is one near you. The best have very nice soft padding that I find to be cushioning and comfortable, and also absorbent.

Many people swear by Danskos. Those I haven't had such luck with, and sold the ones I had on ebay.
ETA: wait, sorry, these would probably not work with orthotics.... sorry....
-- Edited on 6/12/13 11:49 AM --

------
Viking Lily 545
Viking Ruby
Bernina Activa 210
Brother 1034d

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

In reply to kkkkaty <<

Date: 6/12/13 11:52 AM

Croc sandals won't work with orthotics either, but my theory is that if the shoe is right, you don't NEED the orthotics.

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Margasweet

Margasweet  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 2/15/05
Send Message

Date: 6/12/13 12:06 PM

I've had really good luck with Merrill sandals, thong-type but not at all like a flip-flop. The support structure is great, somewhat like an athletic shoe.

------
2007 fabric in: 7 1/2 yards; sewn: 7 yds +1/2 yd
2008 fabric in, 23 yards; sewn 20 yds; given away 6 yds -3 yd = -2 1/2 yd
2009 fabric in 41 1/4 yds, sewn 29 yds, given away 22 1/2 yds -10 1/4 = -12 3/4 yd
2010 fabric in 91 1/2 yds, sewn 27 yds, given away 1 1/2 yds; +63 yd = +50 1/4 yd
2011 fabric in: 55 yd.; sewn: 21 yd; given away: 20 yd +14 yd = +64 1/4 yd
2012 fabric in: 60 1/4 yd., sewn 25 1/4 yds, given away 16 yds, thrown away 3 yds scraps; UFOs completed: 7 +26 yd = +90 1/4 yd
2013 fabric in: 28 yds; sewn 25.7 yds.; given away 5 1/2 yd.s; projects 8, UFOs 4 -3 1/4 yd = +87 yd

2014 fabric in: 40.5 yd
2014 fabric sewn: 19 yd
2014 fabric given away: 8 1/2 yd
2014 projects completed: striped maxi skirt, bl/wh maxi dress, brown/turquoise sweater-knit tunic, rose print rayon dress S1587
2014 projects started: turquoise tank dress, tank dress,
2014 UFOs completed: 9 (5 small gift bags, pieced & quilted table runner, blue/wh maxi dress, silk infinity scarf, blue squares sm. quilt)
so far this year: +13 yd. = must do more sewing!

DolphinDancer30

DolphinDancer30  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 9/9/03
Send Message

Date: 6/12/13 12:26 PM

I have arthritis and fibromyalgia, but I have wide flat feet. Due to the touchy-ness of my feet, I don't do well in lace up shoes. Clogs, sandals, and loafers work best because they can be slipped off to relive pain. My favorite brands are Dansko, Born, Naot, fitflops, and Ecco. Every pair of shoes gets a set of these arch supports which stay put and play nice with sandals. For athletic shoes, look for an independent shoe store that offers orthotic fitting. You should expect to pay for the fitting and any inserts that are permanently added to your shoes. Yes, buying shoes is expensive and time-consuming, but the reduction of foot pain is well worth the price.

Rainspa

Rainspa  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/1/07
Send Message

Date: 6/12/13 12:51 PM

Fly Flot. Even in "COMFORT" SHOES, they are in a class by themselves. Some alchemy of cushion and stretchiness, but be warned these are not attractive shoes.
Get the job done though.
Good Luck

------
I'm going to Costume College!

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 6/12/13 1:00 PM

My go to shoe for yard work has become my every day shoe. The also are Easy Spirit. I have added a heal pad, probably Dr. Scholls.

I also have a very old pair of ES sandals.

I don't work, so I pretty much wear whatever is the most comfortable with fashionable being an option not needed.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Mole Princess
Mole Princess
Member since 4/17/12
Send Message

Date: 6/12/13 1:47 PM

Rainspa, Fly Flot has a Mary Jane that by my standards isn't bad! I'm trying it--free shipping, free return shipping, and the sole MIGHT be squishy, plus, it was reviewed as good for wide toe area--narrow heel and that is me to a T.

Thank you EVERYONE and I hope this will be a terrific resource for others. More ideas welcome!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> the most comfortable shoes you have ever worn

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Butterick 5584

photo
by: Futuralon

Review
McCall's 2401

photo
by: carolinasc...

Review

Pattern

SewBaby Fleece-Easy Hats Pattern

SewBaby Fleece-Easy Hats Pattern

Buy Now
Favorite Things The Boot Slippers Pattern

Favorite Things The Boot Slippers Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.