SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > Which Machine Should I Buy? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Which Machine Should I Buy?
Ubik
Ubik  Friend of PR
Beginner
North Carolina USA
Member since 6/2/13
Send Message

Date: 6/12/13 1:56 PM

Hi!
I have a choice between two Craigslist machines, both selling for $75. Both are Kenmores. One is very old and from this video seems like it will be good for denim and canvas.
The other is an early 90's model Kenmore made by Janome. It comes with five presser feet and a "buttonhole maker add-on".

I don't yet own a sm and am looking for a cheap one while I save for something like a Janome Magnolia 7330.
Should I save the $75 and wait for the Magnolia or should I go ahead and pick up one of these now?
Any thoughts for a newbie?Kenmore 22 StitchVintage Kenmore Youtube video

JEF
starstarstar
JEF  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 7/27/05
Board Moderator
Send Message

In reply to Ubik <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/12/13 2:28 PM

IF you can go and test them and they both work, I don't think you'd go wrong with either. I would probably lean toward getting the vintage one because I see that as a nice extra machine to have once you get something computerized. My guess is that vintage one will do a beautiful straight stitch and be strong enough to go through a few layers of denim. So... when you move onto sewing jeans, it would be a good one to have set up for the topstitching while you do the seams on your newer machine

What sort of sewing do you see yourself doing? Have you done any yet?

Another option would be to check out some local dealers. They sometimes have used machines at reasonable prices and you'll know it was serviced recently.

Good luck.

JEF

------
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." --Abraham Lincoln

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
Ohio USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 6/12/13 2:44 PM

If you are not experienced with how to use a sewing machine, it would be best to check with a sewing machine dealer for a machine that has been traded in and that they have serviced.

Routine service can start at around $80.

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Janie Viers
star
Janie Viers  Friend of PR
Advanced
Ohio USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 6/12/13 4:05 PM

Definetly go with the older Kenmore. That model (or varision of it) is a workhorse. It has two belts, which means while it's not super fast it does go through anything! Including layers of denim and leather!

------
JanieV

Ubik
Ubik  Friend of PR
Beginner
North Carolina USA
Member since 6/2/13
Send Message

In reply to JEF <<

Date: 6/12/13 4:22 PM

My mom was a good seamstress and taught me as a kid, but I was terrible at it. So I have sort of a sm phobia now.
I'm signed up for a sewing 101 class and I hope to be able to make garments. My main goal however is to be able to machine-reinforce knitting steeks. I HAVE to buy a machine for that at least and once I started reading up on them, I got the sewing bug again.

mgmsrk1
mgmsrk1
Intermediate
Member since 12/16/12
Send Message

In reply to Ubik <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/12/13 4:54 PM

I would run(NOW!) and get that old green Kenmore. I have almost the same model, it was my fathers, originally a table machine that he converted to a desk top. It will sew anything and when you get your new machine you always will need a back up. I also find Janomes don't handle heavy fabric very well, I have a Magnolia and a 6600 but could never just have them since I get annoyed at the way they handle bulky seams or fabric.

$75 for that working Kenmore is not a waste of money, you should look at it as an investment.

-- Edited on 6/12/13 4:57 PM --

------
1968 Kenmore 158. (AKA The Hulk)
Bernina 230
Janome 6600 (for sale)
Janome 7700
Juki 600
Elna serger
Kenmore serger
Janome 1000 CoverStitch
Juki 8500 Industerial

Ubik
Ubik  Friend of PR
Beginner
North Carolina USA
Member since 6/2/13
Send Message

In reply to mgmsrk1 <<

Date: 6/12/13 5:17 PM

Hey thanks!
Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to do. Yay!

Ubik
Ubik  Friend of PR
Beginner
North Carolina USA
Member since 6/2/13
Send Message

Date: 6/12/13 5:54 PM

I also have the option of this machine for just $50. The lady says it runs well but doesn't know the model. I'm going to see it tomorrow. Does anyone know what it is and if it will sew denim etc?

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 6/13/13 5:41 AM

Get the solid mechanical now! Enjoy sewing. Experiment and find out what type of sewing you like to do. Then start saving again.
Your experience on this will help you decide on what features you want in your computerized one. Plus you have a back up.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

mgmsrk1
mgmsrk1
Intermediate
Member since 12/16/12
Send Message

In reply to Ubik <<

Date: 6/13/13 10:09 AM

I can't make the photo big enough to see the wording on that machine. Is it a Kenmore? If it is the model should be under the machine or under the needle plate.

The benefit of the green Kenmore(mine is called The Hulk) is the same model more or less was made for about a decade so parts for it are easy to come by.

------
1968 Kenmore 158. (AKA The Hulk)
Bernina 230
Janome 6600 (for sale)
Janome 7700
Juki 600
Elna serger
Kenmore serger
Janome 1000 CoverStitch
Juki 8500 Industerial

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Which Machine Should I Buy?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 10-2007-119

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
Vogue Patterns 1159

photo
by: lharpie

Review
NECKLINES AND DRAPING - A CD Book by Kenneth King

NECKLINES AND DRAPING - A CD Book by Kenneth King

Buy Now
SewBaby Alphabet Take-Along book Pattern

SewBaby Alphabet Take-Along book Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.