SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > New dealer, same problem with Bernina 750 ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
New dealer, same problem with Bernina 750
cornut
cornut
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 10/27/11
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/12/13 2:44 PM

I didn't have much time, I was headed out of town, but I wanted to check out a quilt shop/Bernina dealer that was on my route. The sales person started sewing on it while I watched from behind. She was using normal quilting cotton, NOT stiff fabric with stabilizer like dealers so often use to hide issues. As she sewed, the fabric ruffled as the machine fed it through, caused (IMHO) by tight bobbin tension. It was so obvious from where I was standing. The color thread she was using made it hard to see if the top thread was getting pulled to the back, on the straight stitch, however, on the decorative stitch she did, it was obvious even with the same top and bottom thread. I have now sewn on 5 different 750's at 3 different stores, and they all have had the same tension problems!! Yet I read here and on the yahoo groups about people who are thrilled with their machines. It does make me question myself, am I too picky?? It also really angers me when I hear that Bernina is going to raise their prices soon.

------
Theresa

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to cornut <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/12/13 2:51 PM

I've done same; 3 dealers, 3 stores. same issue.

The bobbin tension is incorrect, and Bernina International knows it and says the fix is coming.

I don't know if some sewers have the tension issues but don't realize what a balanced tension straight stitch should look like, but NO, you are not being too picky.

I can prove this...or rather, you can.

Go to a Pfaff dealer and do a test ss and zz on their Passport 2.0, which costs less than the tax on a 7 series machine.

I have not yet found a 7 series machine that can match the Passport's balanced stitch. Why would we be too picky about a several thousand dollar machine that can't stitch as well as a $599 one?

Love my Bernina dealer, want my 750 to sew a straight and zz stitch as well as inexpensive machines can and do. I don't consider that being too picky!

Hopefully Bernina really will have a fix for the tension issues soon!

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

pinkymom
pinkymom  Friend of PR
Beginner
Member since 4/9/11
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/12/13 3:50 PM

I am sure if am being over impatient but i feel like the fix should be available by now. Dont know if this is more complicated than I think but I have had mine since last December and still no fix.

------
Bernina 200E, 750E, 1150MDC, Babylock Evolution, BLCS2, Juki 2010q, Simplicity Blindsticher.

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to pinkymom <<

Date: 6/12/13 3:54 PM

If I hadn't been so busy with school on top of work the past several months, I suspect I'd be feeling pretty darn impatient by now, too!

------
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

ghillie
ghillie
Member since 11/18/07
Send Message

Date: 6/12/13 4:07 PM

Recently I went window-shopping at a Bernina dealer, & when I expressed no interest in the 7 series I was told, in essence, 'Oh you're probably reading that stuff at the Yahoo groups, don't pay any attention to that, there was a *very slight* tension problem but that's all been completely fixed with one software update & one firmware update.' Well anyway, I went home with a Juki F600 which really *does* sew perfectly, sorry Bernina.

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to ghillie <<

Date: 6/12/13 4:14 PM

I'm glad to hear it was just a "very slight" problem...

...coz I'd sure hate to see a "serious" one.

Congrats on your new machine-baby!

But I'm not giving up on my 750 just yet!

------

Taylorsew
Taylorsew
Intermediate
ID USA
Member since 4/16/13
Send Message

Date: 6/12/13 4:58 PM

So, I have the 710. Do I love it? No. I like it. For sewing garments it's been great and I do love the space and features. But overall, it just ticks me off that the back of deco stitches look the way they do. It's downright awful! When I contacted Bernina USA about this, I was told that the machines are tensioned for Isocord thread with deco stitches. They said that using that thread the stitch would be balanced, but using any other thread the sewer would have to change the tension for the particular stitch. I don't have Isocord, so haven't tried it, but maybe if you do you could try it out and post a picture? I don't know if this will help the straight stitch.

Since other Berninas are not tensioned this way, I'd think they would educate consumers and techs about this change, but apparently not... and it didn't sound like anything they were working at "fixing" because to them it's not a problem. Sigh...

------
Bernina 820QE, Bernina 530, Bernina 1150mdc serger, Janome Coverpro 1000cpx, Singer 201's (yes, that's plural), Singer 185J, Wilcox & Gibbs treadle chain stitcher. Then there's the Featherweight that's a restoration process...

lelliebunny
star
lelliebunny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/24/12
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<

Date: 6/12/13 5:04 PM

Is it bad that I actually like the honeycomb one like that? LOL

------
it doesn't matter what type of sewing you do. you are sewing, and sewing is good.

RadarRadiance
star
RadarRadiance
Intermediate
NV USA
Member since 10/24/07
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<

Date: 6/12/13 6:04 PM

These stitches are terrible, isn't it possible to tighten the bottom tension or loosen the top to get a balanced stitch? Just seems weird to me on a new machine to see a stitch like this.....
I've been following the thread and saw your beautiful stitch out on the pfaff...WOW!!!

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to RadarRadiance <<

Date: 6/12/13 6:23 PM

Unfortunatly, no. Even with top thread at zero tension, and bobbin case screw as loose possible without falling out, this was the result. Very terrible, and it showed just the same thing on the factory sample stitch-out that came with the machine.

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> New dealer, same problem with Bernina 750

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

New Look 6675

photo
by: Kiwi Natio...

Review

Pattern

You Sew Girl 100mm Shell Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 100mm Shell Purse Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop West End Top & Pants

Sewing Workshop West End Top & Pants

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.