SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Machine Embroidery > Machine Embroidery magazines ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Machine Embroidery magazines
Have one you like?
wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

Date: 6/13/13 1:07 AM

Without investigation, I subscribed to Creative Machine Embroidery. I've only had my Pfaff Creative Performance for a few months and thought- why not? The magazine has been bombarding me with emails, some with info, but mostly things to buy. The 1st magazine just arrived today and I've only flipped through it. Nothing "exciting" jumped out at me, but I suspect there's a lot of useful tips and techniques for an utter beginner in embroidery like me. It won't matter if the project is my taste or not. By reading, I'll learn.

Are any of you subscribers to this one or another magazine? Maybe other resources are better for you? TIA

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/13/13 9:15 AM

I subscribed to Designs In Machine Embroidery and Creative Machine Embroidery for a couple of years and came to the same conclusion.....nothing of interest and lots for sale.

I think you can find more at the DIME website than in the magazine. Not sure about CME.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 6/13/13 2:07 PM

Patti- thanks for the tip to check DIME's site. Unfamiliar.

I looked at my CME in the light of day. There are a few useful things:
* Page with authors and designers in the issue with their bios and websites. One is pretty local to me and many are new to me.

* Embroidery Term Glossary- learned a new one, but a good reference to put in a binder.

* Sandwiched Embroidery- base fabric, loose metallic thread and organza on top. The loose metallic thread shines through the organza and embroidery layer. Good idea I wouldn't have thought of it. Can go my own way with it.

* Trapunto- reminded me I know how to do it and can combine with embroidery trim.

Also can get it on my iPad. So that's better than I initially thought.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

1975Jumby
star
1975Jumby
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/19/08
Send Message

In reply to wendyrb <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/13/13 4:22 PM

I subscribed to Creative Machine Embroidery too and frankly, I'm not impressed. Part of the reason is I'm a guy and I just don't want to add "flair" to dresses since I wear suits. LOL! I thought the magazine would focus a little more on techniques, specific machines that are new on the market, maybe even product comparisons, like stabilizers or thread. But the two issues I received so far have more fashion flair to add to women's clothing...at least that's what I felt. And there are quite a few ads, but I don't mind those so much.

I understand that home machine embroidery is geared more towards women, but I just don't want a magazine filled with fashion designs and tips. I've only received two copies, so maybe there is something better to come, but I think I find better information on the web. Now that I'm thinking about it, I might go home and do another read through just to make sure.

Jim

------
Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Enlighten
Kenmore 1914
Kenmore 1814

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to 1975Jumby <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/13/13 4:40 PM

Mr. J, I know what you mean. I am the only female in the immediate family. I can do just so many "fish, deer, dogs, boats, cars and motorcycles. I don' t do monogrammed and names ...they're old enough to know who the are already.

I am also a total tomboy.

-- Edited on 6/14/13 10:12 AM --

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 6/14/13 4:58 AM

I subscribed to Creative Magazine as a novice embroiderer back in 2009. It found it helped but most magazines did because I lived in a very rural area- no shopping. I relied on the classifieds to explore shopping for supplies.

I think I recall some helpful articles on how to do aspects of embroidery and had a 4yr old great niece at the time so some of it was interesting even though I never did the designs. Didn't get the email bombardment then. The rest of my family is boys so I didn't connect much with the girly stuff either.

I did not renew my subscription. I learned what I needed from that first year- plus watching PBS and You Tube and joining the PR EMB club.

One thing interesting is that since Mar or April this year I started getting Deal and Specials by email from companies I haven't dealt with for perhaps 2 yrs!

Makes me wonder if some buyout or merger resulted in my email getting to a range of Marketers for them or if a restriction of some sort was lifted or perhaps something got leaked by Yahoo. Or the old Yahoo filtered spam differently? I don't get these on Gmail, just Yahoo.

Yahoo spam still catches the racey stuff and con scams. Its just the company marketing emails that have begun skyrocketing. Guess thats another topic though.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

In reply to 1975Jumby <<

Date: 6/14/13 5:51 AM

Quote:
I thought the magazine would focus a little more on techniques, specific machines that are new on the market, maybe even product comparisons, like stabilizers or thread.

Please write a letter to the editor about these great ideas! I'd love to read that too. The current issue has 2 Father's Day oriented project and I liked neither of them. Then there were articles about embellishing sport socks and sneakers. Eh. At least they're gender neutral. I like your suggestions way more.

I can imagine it's really tough trying to appeal to a broad embroidery customer base. I'd be interested in knowing who uses embroidery machines, the demographics.

------

biddy 1
biddy 1  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 3/6/13
Send Message

Date: 6/14/13 6:28 AM

How do I join the PR EMB club

Jane Wineteer
Jane Wineteer  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 9/2/02
Send Message

In reply to wendyrb <<

Date: 6/14/13 8:52 AM

I'm another who subscribed to CME one time and then let it slide - and I spend a lot of money on classes and publications to learn new things! In my view, CME is way over-hyped!

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

Date: 6/14/13 10:15 AM

For me Designs in Machine Embroidery was worthless although I do like Eileen Roche. All the projects were not to my taste. I DO enjoy Creative Machine Emb. put out by Sew News. I like Sew News, Vogue Pattern and Threads magazines too...I enjoy reading before going to sleep and these fit the need for that time.

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> Machine Embroidery magazines

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

The Technique of Underlining Garments
The Technique of Underlining Garments

Register

Kwik Sew 2981

photo
by: mudcat

Review
SewBaby Hug-Me Bibs Pattern

SewBaby Hug-Me Bibs Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby Wonder Jacket Pattern

SewBaby Wonder Jacket Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.