SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Minky as a backing ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Minky as a backing
Quilter in MN
Quilter in MN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 5/19/12
Send Message

Date: 6/13/13 7:42 AM

Has anyone quilted a baby quilt using minky as the backing? I have just completed one and did stitch in the ditch around all the squares which came out perfect. I decided to try some FMQ and just used a test scrap but it was horrible to work with. I couldn't get the piece to move around at all (glad it was a test piece and not my quilt because it was a real mess!!!) Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone done FMQ using this on the back and if so do you have any tips?

Thanks

Karen

------
Quilter in MN

Bernina 830LE, Brother Duetta 2- 4750D

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Quilter in MN <<

Date: 6/13/13 8:05 AM

It's funny because this is the very stuff I frown upon for backing, especially baby quilts, mostly because of its tendency to migrate. But several people here have used it and find it okay. Would like to know how they did.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

figaro
figaro
Advanced
Member since 2/8/10
Send Message

Date: 6/13/13 9:10 AM

The long arm quilters at my local store use the stuff, but of course the process for those machines is somewhat different. Have you got something like a Supreme Slider or Teflon sheets on your machine bed? If you've already tried that, I suppose one possibility would be working it upside down, but that would only work if you're doing an allover pattern and not something dependent on the piecing.

chrisquilts_2
star
chrisquilts_2  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 6/16/06
Send Message

Date: 6/13/13 9:22 AM

I use Minky as backing a bunch but find that the walking foot is my best and only friend. FMQ attempts have been disasters. I wonder if basting spray might help?

------
Too much fabric to count...

Quilter in MN
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 5/19/12
Send Message

Date: 6/13/13 9:26 AM

No I don't have the Supreme Slider or Teflon sheets on my machine bed and working with the minky on top is not an option for this quilt as I have squares that are applique which I don't want to quilt over.

The squares that I was looking to stipple are 6" square and I did use Warm & White as the batting which says I can quilt up to 10" apart so I believe it will be fine to leave them open if I need to.

------
Quilter in MN

Quilter in MN
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 5/19/12
Send Message

In reply to chrisquilts_2 <<

Date: 6/13/13 9:28 AM

Basting spray didn't help me at all. I spray basted the entire quilt and did use my walking foot for the in the ditch which worked great. FMQ - not so great!!!!

------
Quilter in MN

TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 9/21/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/13/13 10:13 AM

Quote: Quilter in MN
... working with the minky on top is not an option for this quilt as I have squares that are applique which I don't want to quilt over.

Once you have outlined the areas you want to quilt (or not quilt), you can flip it over and use those stitching lines to guide you to put your stippling where you want it.

------
Tess

On threadpainting flowers: "How many colors are in a flower? ... How many do you have?" - Ellen Anne Eddy

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

In reply to TessKwiltz <<

Date: 6/13/13 1:06 PM

Quote: TessKwiltz
Once you have outlined the areas you want to quilt (or not quilt), you can flip it over and use those stitching lines to guide you to put your stippling where you want it.

What a FANTASTIC idea Tess!

I recently used minky on the back of a quilt. I used the dimple dot and I did not want FMQ to smoosh the dots. So I did all my FMQ first, with just the batting, THEN I put the minky on the back and SITD around all the squares.

It came out great! I would probably do it this way again if/when I use minky again.

I used very light but extra fluffy poly batting. It gave me wonderful texture and no extra weight. Minky is heavy!

------
Cathryn

Sharon1952
star
Sharon1952  Friend of PR
Advanced
Massachusetts USA
Member since 7/1/08
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 6/13/13 4:21 PM

I've used it twice now and gave the quilts as gifts. Parents both reported it did not wear well with frequent washing. It was a big pain to sew with- so I'm back to flannel now.

------
Sewing: A creative mess is better than tidy idleness. ~Author Unknown

Quilter in MN
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 5/19/12
Send Message

In reply to Cat n Bull <<

Date: 6/13/13 4:28 PM

Cat n Bull
That is an excellant idea, I wish I would have thought of that or posted this question before I did the stitch in the ditch!! I really didn't think it was going to be so difficult to FMQ it. The quilt is finished now with the binding on and it is was it is...........but I will certainly remember your suggestion for the next one. I LOVE the softness of Minky and for a baby quilt is just finishes it off so nice.

Tess, I think your suggestion is also great and not one I had thought of but..........I'm not sure I could have even free motioned around the animal appliques on it.......seriously, the test piece was a mess!!!!

------
Quilter in MN

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Minky as a backing

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Technique of Underlining Garments
The Technique of Underlining Garments

Register

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Other Gertie's Keyhole Blouse

photo
by: julliams

Review
Sew Chic Cloche Hat Pattern (ln101)

Sew Chic Cloche Hat Pattern (ln101)

Buy Now
PerfectFuseTailorUltra White

PerfectFuseTailorUltra White

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.