SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Spaces > Getting ready to build a studio! ( Moderated by Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Getting ready to build a studio!
CJ Tinkle
star
CJ Tinkle
Intermediate
Member since 2/5/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/13/13 6:20 PM

I submitted my sketch of my 24' x 32' studio to the builder yesterday, should have his bid in a couple of weeks, and hope to break ground in about a month!

I am using formica kitchen counters for my sewing workstation, no cabinets below, but on legs. I will have the cabinetmaker cut wells for my machines. My question is, would I be better off using the acrylic surrounds I have for them in my sewing cabinets, or use the slide on tables that came with the machines? The Bernina slide on tables are pretty nice, but of course then the surface wouldn't be completely flush.

-- Edited on 6/13/13 6:23 PM --

------
Bernina Artista 630 ✂ Bernina Aurora 430 ✂ Bernina 830e Record ✂ Bernina 1300MDC ✂ Babylock BLCS ✂ APQS Millennium ✂ Singer 201-2 ✂ Singer 301 ✂ Singer 401A ✂ Singer 15-91 ✂ Singer Featherweight 222K ✂ Singer Featherweight 221

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
TX USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to CJ Tinkle <<

Date: 6/13/13 6:26 PM

Fabulous.. I think you alone should make the decision based on your preference.. You might try doing a combination.. Its a matter of what is easier for your quilting ..
I have Mr. P out building my new craft cottage too.. Its so much fun to plan these out..
I hope you do post finished pics..

SewPaula
star
SewPaula  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
MO USA
Member since 2/18/04
Send Message

Date: 6/13/13 6:27 PM

How exciting! It looks like you will have a lovely space to work in.

------
If I were a sewing machine, all I would have to do is lift up my foot and all my tension would be gone.

Sewing with my lovelies: Pfaff Ambition 1.5 Kenmore 385.19365, Babylock Imagine and BLCS, 4 Brothers (PE150, PE770, 1034D, 2340V), and a chorus of vintage Singers

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
NC USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

Date: 6/13/13 8:54 PM

Oooo how exciting! What an awesome studio!

My personal preference is having the machine flush with the table. I LOVE that space.

That's just me though.

------
Cathryn

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
LA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 6/13/13 11:06 PM

Wow CJ this is just too exciting! You deserve it.

I never had acrylic, and my wells are not that big. When mine were built for different machines, the carpenter provided wood inserts to go around the free arms. Now with the Berninas, my extension tables do skim the top of the table, and it's really not much different than being perfectly flush. When the 350 is in the well with it's table on, it fits perfectly in there, table too.
One problem with doing this, is that you may want something behind the machine, so if I were you and already had the acrylic tables, I would just use that. That way you have fabric support behind the machine too. My fabric does tend to fall behind the machine into the well. I'm considering having Dream World make me some acrylic inserts.

I wish many many happy years to come for you with your new studio!!

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
WY USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

Date: 6/14/13 0:05 AM

How fabulous!!!!
I think there are tons of resources on line these days for sewing room planning...which is wonderful. I find the more work tables I have the better...I can't seem to have enough...along with lots of ironing room and then room for machines. I think you are focused on quilting which makes it easier to plan.
Have fun!!!
-- Edited on 6/14/13 0:20 AM --

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

Sharon48
star
Sharon48  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/17/12
Send Message

Date: 6/14/13 1:14 AM

Congratulations! This is soooo exciting! Do post pictures when it is finished!

Oh, and here's to many happy years in your little haven!

------
Sewing is a passion, so relaxing and calming!

Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Evolution
Babylock Melody
Viking 190
Babylock Coverstitch (I know, I know - but had
to have it!!)
Babylock Embellisher
Singer 401A

CJ Tinkle
star
CJ Tinkle
Intermediate
Member since 2/5/06
Send Message

Date: 6/14/13 6:57 AM

Thank you girls. Maybe I'll just stick with the acrylic surrounds then. Or even have new ones made AFTER the cabinet maker cuts the holes, just to be sure!

------
Bernina Artista 630 ✂ Bernina Aurora 430 ✂ Bernina 830e Record ✂ Bernina 1300MDC ✂ Babylock BLCS ✂ APQS Millennium ✂ Singer 201-2 ✂ Singer 301 ✂ Singer 401A ✂ Singer 15-91 ✂ Singer Featherweight 222K ✂ Singer Featherweight 221

PattyGee
PattyGee  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 11/12/03
Send Message

In reply to CJ Tinkle <<

Date: 6/14/13 10:15 AM

Lovely studio CJ, can't wait to see it when it is done.

------
Patty
Bernina 530, Bernina 200e with upgrade 730, BL Enlighten Serger, BL Coverstitch and Juki TL-2010Q.

BettyMike
star
BettyMike  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
TX USA
Member since 2/12/04
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/14/13 1:02 PM

Color me green with envy!

------
betty/mikie

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Spaces >> Getting ready to build a studio!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

McCall's 6501

photo
by: PAMomof3

Review
PerfectFuse Sheer White

PerfectFuse Sheer White

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Cuff Pant

Christine Jonson Cuff Pant

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.