SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Machines > high shank vs. low shank ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
high shank vs. low shank
to further my sm knowledge
Andi247
Andi247
Advanced Beginner
Florida USA
Member since 5/26/11
Send Message

Date: 6/17/13 2:06 AM

I currently have 2 low shank machines and have seen pics of high shank. I am just wondering if there is a difference in performance or pros or cons to either type. Please educate me. Thank you.
-- Edited on 6/17/13 2:08 AM --

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to Andi247 <<

Date: 6/17/13 3:39 PM

It is just means the measurement from the bottom of the foot to the bolt hole in the foot that attaches it to your pressure foot bar. Nothing else at all. So one kind is taller there than the other. So they just call that part of it the shank, where it bolts on there. One is not better than the other, one is just longer than the other. Of course if you went out and bought/got the wrong kind to match up with some machine, (no matter which length was wrong for a machine) then that would be worse than having the right kind instead. But that is about it.

Andi247
Andi247
Advanced Beginner
Florida USA
Member since 5/26/11
Send Message

Date: 6/17/13 7:06 PM

Good to know. Thank you for the help!

Andi247
Andi247
Advanced Beginner
Florida USA
Member since 5/26/11
Send Message

Date: 6/17/13 7:06 PM

Good to know. Thank you for the help!

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/17/13 7:36 PM

And then of course, you have the slant shank where the shank itself is slanted toward the front. Found only on Singer specialized machines.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

dscheidt

dscheidt
Member since 6/8/09
Send Message

In reply to Miss Fairchild <<

Date: 6/22/13 7:28 PM

High shank is what most industrial machines are, which means there are a wide assortment of feet available for them, most pretty cheaply. That includes things like top stitch guide feet, and edge feet, and compensating feet, which simply seem not to be made for domestic machines.

This seems like a good place to ask this: Is there a list of machines that are high shank? I need to get a portable machine, and it would be very nice to able to use my collection of industrial feet and attachments on it.

Marie367
Marie367
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to Miss Fairchild <<

Date: 6/22/13 7:37 PM

Don't forget the super high shank that some of the old Kenmores had (maybe other machines too). I have one with a super high shank. I bought almost all the feet available at the time for it which was a good thing. You can go on ebay and search Kenmore high shank feet to get an idea. They have a very long shaft for the foot. I have modern machines with low shanks. I thought the higher the shank the more material you could get under the presser foot. Is that true?

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to dscheidt <<

Date: 6/22/13 8:41 PM

I don't think one list for all anyplace. But late 1950's-early 1960's Necchi Super Novas and such use high shank feet.

Some older Kemores but they called it super high shank so might not be the same.

A bunch of newish sort of Quilters striaght stitch machines have high shank feet.

Maybe some more machines, (just listed as high shank) listed on the back of the box for some old Greist buttonholer or attachment set, as all being high shank?

I'm pretty sure it's sort of like anything else though, it's not only the shank height, they also got to cover your feed dogs, and hole in them line up with needle drop, and those line up with hole in stitch plate too, so kind of a lot of factors going on each time there, and without sticking each foot on something to even see, I don't know how else you could even know all that stuff.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to Andi247 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/22/13 9:15 PM

Short answer - no. Just make sure of what you are purchasing when shopping for accessories.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

sew2006
star
sew2006
Advanced
Ontario CANADA
Member since 6/24/06
Send Message

Date: 6/23/13 9:59 AM

High shank machines that use industrial feet straight stitch machines such as Brother PQ1500S, JUKI TL98, JUKI2010, Pfaff Grand Quilter, Janome 1600P, Husqvarna Viking and Babylock straight stitch only.

Janome has a used their own version of a high shank on the MC Memory craft embroidery machines. This shank foot height clearance is not the same as the above straight stitch machines. The embroidery machines are MC8000, MC9000, MC 10000/10001, MC11000/11000SE, MC9500/MC9700.

Janome now has the new MC9900 and the MC12000 with a 9mm opening, both of these are embroidery combo machines.

Janome has a selection of quilting machines with a 7mm opening that use a high shank MC6600 & MC7700. These also have a specific feet for the built in Accufeed mech.

The new Janome MC8900 quilting machine is a high shank with a 9mm openning and Flex feed same as MC12000. The MC9900 is 9mm and Janome is to release a walking foot for it.

Brother used a high shank on their embroidery combo's PC8200, PC8500, PC8500D, PC6500, and Ult 2001, 2002D, 2003D. They also included a low shank adapter with their machines because the side cutter and walking foot included were low shank.

I have the MC10001, Brother Ult2001 and the PQ1500s and the "high" shanks are not the same and you can't use the other brands feet. Also note that the Brother snap on feet and Janome snap on feet don't cover the feed dogs needle plate openning properly resulting in needle hitting the foot.

------
Janome10001, Babylock ESG3, Brother ULT 2001, White 634D serger, Pfaff 1472, Singer featherweight, Singer 14T957Dc, Bernina FunLock 009DCC coverlock, Brother PQ1500S, Janome CP900.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> high shank vs. low shank

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Paradiso Designs Carry-All Shoulder Bag Pattern

Paradiso Designs Carry-All Shoulder Bag Pattern

Buy Now
You Sew Girl Tulip Dress Pattern

You Sew Girl Tulip Dress Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.