SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Patterns, Weight Loss and What Next ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Patterns, Weight Loss and What Next
Sweetsong

Sweetsong
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 12/26/05
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/17/13 10:10 AM

DH and I are losing weight. Yea, for us. He has lost 68 lbs.(and wants to continue) I have discovered that many of the men's patterns I own are for his much larger self. Also, I'm on the way down although s-l-o-w-l-y (only 16, but I started four months later than him), but it will not be long and some of the patterns I have chosen will not be right, as in not in Women's, but moving to larger Misses for the time being.

So. 1) What to do with patterns? Sell them? Keep them in separate storage in case he/we become ummm bigger again? 2) Should I even begin sewing garments for myself? I mean, I will sew up my stash and then I will have nothing left to sew and then nothing left to wear if I actually lose weight as I will not be able to afford to replenish the stash. (stopped sewing for myself because it was depressing) Although I have noted to myself that I could sew from now until I die and have fabric left. Any ideas?
-- Edited on 6/17/13 10:12 AM --

JEF
starstarstar
JEF  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 7/27/05
Board Moderator
Send Message

thumbsup 11 members like this.

Date: 6/17/13 11:00 AM

Sew away! Sew for whatever size you are at this moment. Take your measurements and sew.

Depending on how much time you have each day to sew, a knit top can be done in just a day or two. A simple dress as well is a quick project. (I just made the PR dress and it really is a quick sew but if you got a tank/cut on sleeve style dress pattern without the waist detail of the PR dress it would be even faster!)

Whatever you make will still look good for at least 10 pounds of weight loss. You also have freedom now to experiment with different styles b/c you aren't planning on keeping anything forever. These are transition pieces. Make them in whatever style/color you wish, wear them a bit, then decide if that is style or color you should repeat for your "good" clothes later on.

Your old patterns and old clothes? Get rid of them. (Except keep patterns for inspiration if you want.) You won't wear them b/c they won't look good on you. Someone else can get use of them now before they go hopelessly out of style. I purged my closet a while ago and was getting rid of stuff from the early/mid 1990s. I know no one will wear those and now they are just destined for recycling in some way. Wish I'd gotten rid of them earlier.

JEF

------
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." --Abraham Lincoln

Re Becca
starstarstar
Re Becca
Intermediate
Member since 9/12/05
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 6/17/13 2:35 PM

My advise, ditch the old, in with the new.
I am shedding a little weight myself so I can only imagine how nice it feels to be down anything substantial.

If I were you, I would take some time and go out to the mall and try some thing on to see what looks good on the new you. This will give you some ideas and inspiration for what works now and how it will look. This should also invigorate your sewing mojo when you see how much they charge for what would be so simple to make.

Reward yourself for changing your lifestyle, you deserve new clothes that match the new you.

-sitting at my desk eating cherry tomatoes instead of chips---

------
http://beccabeckstuff.blogspot.com/

Damn the muslin, full speed ahead!

SquishSews
star
SquishSews  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 1/18/09
Send Message

Date: 6/17/13 2:43 PM

Smaller is good -you can take in as you decrease! :-) And if your shape changes enough to need different patterns, well then so be it.

Don't save them just in case you get big again - keep positive and bless others with what you can't use. If youreally love a detail on a specific pattern... save it so you can add the detail to a smaller garment.

Funny coincidence... I got bigger in the last two years due a medical treatment. I'm going back down but don't think I will ever realistically be as small as I once was... so yesterday I just put a bunch of patterns up on the classifieds here, LOL!

SquishSews
star
SquishSews  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 1/18/09
Send Message

Date: 6/17/13 2:46 PM

And congrats on the good work!!! It's tough but worth it.

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to SquishSews <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/17/13 3:22 PM

Quote:
Don't save them just in case you get big again

I agree -- unless it's something that you consider a priceless TNT that can be easily adapted.

Opposite thing, but same idea -- I recently gave away a pile of "skinny clothes"..... FINALLY. I decided if I ever do lose weight, I'll want some new clothes, not clothes from 10-15 years ago.

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

Image: rosebush in the snow

Sana
Sana
Intermediate
Member since 9/26/05
Send Message

In reply to Sweetsong <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 6/17/13 7:34 PM

There have been a couple of threads with advice on choosing what to sew while losing weight. Here's one: Sewing for Weight Loss I remember that one because the title of the thread sounded like the name of a lovely weight loss plan.

------
"Once abolish the God, and the government becomes the God." (G. K. Chesterton)

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to Sana <<

Date: 6/17/13 7:54 PM

Yes, I would go on that weight loss plan. If that worked, I'd start sewing like crazy, lol.

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

Image: rosebush in the snow

lyndle
star
lyndle  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 3/19/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/17/13 8:42 PM

Congrats!

Re sewing for weight loss... Well, actually, I find sewing stops me snacking because my hands are busy and I don't want to get them dirty - even if others are having pre dinner nuts in the same room it's easy to say no as long as I'm sewing!

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 6/18/13 5:16 AM

Me too. Keeping my hands busy keeps my mind busy and I dont even think about eating!

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Patterns, Weight Loss and What Next

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

McCall's 5114 OOP

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
Sew Liberated Flora Tunic and Twirly Skirt

Sew Liberated Flora Tunic and Twirly Skirt

Buy Now
Jamie Christina Honey Girl Dress and Top Pattern (JC304HG)

Jamie Christina Honey Girl Dress and Top Pattern (JC304HG)

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.