SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Machines > Cheap Thread ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Cheap Thread
Has has this happened to any of you?
Teeavilnor
star
Teeavilnor  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Connecticut USA
Member since 10/12/07
Send Message

Date: 6/18/13 7:54 AM

Have any of you ever been in Joanne's just browsing around and you come upon those bins of cheap thread? Well this is crazy about 6 years ago I did when I first got my serger. I bought a couple of Maxi-Lock spools, but the cheap kind made in China cost about 50 cents. Well I since have learned to buy good thread. Well anyway I have been seeing white chips under my thread basket. A few months ago a light bulb broke while we were changing it and it went everywhere. So I figured it was the light bulb fragments in my drawer. No ladies it was my cheap spool of thread, the thread is fine but the cone is chipping away.
Nothing to do except throw it away. I thought about rewinding it but it would probably would not work smoothly when I used it.
-- Edited on 6/18/13 8:08 AM --

------
Teri
Janome Sew Precise, DC4030PR, 634D, & 900CP,
Singer 1952 15-91
Great sewing is knowing exactly, what your machine will do.

MartiP
MartiP  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/5/12
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/18/13 9:20 AM

In defense of "cheap thread", some I purchased at JA's was better quality than the pricey G**********'s serger thread I have.

------
MartiP

Ruckertt's Law; There is nothing so small that it can't be blown out of proportion.

Bernina 1230 Bernette 007D
Brother CS6000i Brother 2340 CV
New Home L372
Singer 221K (off white)
U.S Blindstitch, Model SL 718/2D
Simplicity SE2
Brother 700II

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to MartiP <<

Date: 6/18/13 10:02 AM

Joanns has Sure Lock and it is a real bargain - made by Coats and Clark and I tried it last month - used it to make a pair og jammie pants for my DDIL and it was great! Seems like the regular thread - it'a all poly and less linty than Maxi-Lock which I also like BTW, and so I will be buying more Sure Lock if I ever need to buy thread again in my life which might not happen as I have loads of cone thread now....love buying thread.

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to Teeavilnor <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/18/13 10:26 AM

Use it for hand-basting. I used to buy cheap thread and learned not to the hard way, but it's fine for hand-basting.

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to MartiP <<

Date: 6/18/13 10:31 AM

Quote:
In defense of "cheap thread", some I purchased at JA's was better quality than the pricey G**********'s serger thread I have.

That's interesting. The cheap thread I'm thinking of is the 3/$1 kind they used to sell at big discount stores like Woolworth's. Maybe some cheap thread is a decent brand that the store has just decided not to carry anymore? It would be hard to know, though, so I'm still going to err on the safe side.

------

Rosews13
Rosews13  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 1/17/10
Send Message

thumbsup 11 members like this.

Date: 6/18/13 10:43 AM

I have been sewing for over 50 years and have used every type of thread there is on every machine ,sewing and serger. I have never had a problem,ever. I clean my machine every time I change the bobbin and my serger every time I open the front "door." I have sewn assembly line style during my marathon dance costume times sewing professionally and couture type silk bridal gowns. I use C& C and Gutermann for regular machine work mostly and server thread from downtown Los Angeles for $1 a cone. NO PROBLEM EVER. Sometimes I wonder if it is the machines and not the thread that is the problem. My machines have to do what I want or I beat them into submission.
-- Edited on 6/18/13 6:17 PM --

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to Rosews13 <<

Date: 6/18/13 11:48 AM

Well said! Thread for the last 50 years has really been imprived and last a long time. Never in all these years (over 50 years of using mostly C&C) had a problem with seams or thread giving way. Now I see that there are so many threads out there and it is fun to see what they are like, but they really do not differ in much except price when you get right down to it.

With some exceptions. ALL Superior Threads seem really to BE Superior, but Sew Fine 50 is much like other good brands of sewing thread I like, such as Metrosene. It is really close to Metrosene, and I do love them both now. Metrosene large spools are about the same price as the So Fine 50 spools in the 547-550 yard spools, maybe Metrosene a bit less. At Red Rocks Threads Metrosene is a dollar less. So really - about the same. C&C will run you (in all poly) about a dollar less than that, and is a very nice thread to sew general things with as well.

SO what are we talking about when we say "cheap thread?" I too thought of the really cheapo stuff in the bins at WALMART or other large stores of the sort.

Edited for typos
-- Edited on 6/18/13 11:50 AM --

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to Mufffet <<

Date: 6/18/13 11:54 AM

Your absolutely right Mufffet. Sometimes I wonder if we like our expensive threads cos they are expensive. Although I do like my Aurifil and Maderia. I recently hemmed with Coats and it was fine. When I sewed clothing I always used Coats that's what the store had so that's what I used. Plus there were so many pretty colors of it. Coats is a decent thread. And sadly I am old enough to remember the bargin bins at Woolworth. We haven't had a Woolworth near here since 1996 when we first moved into present house. It was also my first job in 1977. But I didn't work in sewing area. Housewares.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

MartiP
MartiP  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/5/12
Send Message

In reply to Vintage Joan <<

Date: 6/18/13 12:02 PM

This is the basic store brand of serger thread at JA's.

------
MartiP

Ruckertt's Law; There is nothing so small that it can't be blown out of proportion.

Bernina 1230 Bernette 007D
Brother CS6000i Brother 2340 CV
New Home L372
Singer 221K (off white)
U.S Blindstitch, Model SL 718/2D
Simplicity SE2
Brother 700II

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to MartiP <<

Date: 6/18/13 12:07 PM

Quote:
This is the basic store brand of serger thread at JA's.

Then it's probably way better than the thread I was thinking of, which was the 1980s equivalent of dollar store thread.

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Cheap Thread

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Understanding Knit Fabrics
Understanding Knit Fabrics

Class Details

Online Class
Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Class Details

New Look 6095

photo
by: Jstarr4250

Review
Burda 7739

photo
by: megumi

Review
SewBaby Bath Puppet Pals Pattern

SewBaby Bath Puppet Pals Pattern

More Info
Fit For Real People DVD

Fit For Real People DVD

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.