SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Memory quilt ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Memory quilt
quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

Date: 6/18/13 9:24 AM

Thought I would be staying away for a few days since the death of my daughters friend but you all are so comforting I can't bear to be away.

I'm thinking later in the summer of doing a memory quilt for his mother with pictures etc. My daughter has downloaded a lot of his facebook pictures etc. I was thinking of doing two of them, one for her and one for his mom. But I'm not sure about the timing for all this. Also he use to play around with writing songs and I thought maybe could embroider some lyrics on it also. I had thought of approaching her about doing some kind of t-shirt quilt. But don't feel the time is right for that to ask for his clothes and they might not be there later. He had given my daughter a rock tee of his last summer. She hasn't take it off since Sunday morning. I guess really couldn't do it until my daughter heals some. She can barely go out the front door as since they live right across the street she see his house. She went out with friends last night for a little while to get out and she came back in, in tears. She's going to try and go back to work today. I know it's going to be hard for her has she has to deal with the public.
-- Edited on 6/18/13 9:40 AM --
-- Edited on 6/18/13 9:40 AM --

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/18/13 10:30 AM

I think a memory quilt is a lovely idea. You could talk to a relative if you know someone, and have them explain to his Mom what you're offering to do, if speaking to his Mom may be too difficult right now. You could also offer to help sort through his belongings whenever they are ready to do that. Sometimes it actually helps to have someone who is somewhat removed from the crises to help out with that type thing. And you could use that time to gently bring up the memory/tee shirt quilt idea. It's SO HARD for them to get rid of clothing and possesions, so it may make them really happy that you'll preserve this things that way.
Many times, they want to leave the room as it is for a time.
Really, ANY time is a good time for a memory quilt. It doesn't have to be right away, or even in the first year. I still need to do one for someone's family who died 2 years ago. I think they'll appreciate it whenever they receive it, no matter how late.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to SouthernStitch <<

Date: 6/18/13 10:46 AM

Yeah I think I will wait a while. My daughter can't even say his name without bursting into tears. Plus better after all the first major holidays.

------

Franksdottir

Franksdottir  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08
Send Message

Date: 6/18/13 11:19 AM

A memory quilt is a kind idea. I cannot really imagine how it must be for his family and your poor daughter. This is utterly tragic for everyone.

I wouldn't bring it up just yet with the parents, things must be too raw for them now. I would wait at least until after the funeral.

------
Barb

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to Franksdottir <<

Date: 6/18/13 11:24 AM

Well I think will do the picture one. I want to get my daughter on board first. As she will have to watch me work on it. I would like her to work on it with me. As far as choosing photo's etc. And maybe get his brother involved. But It's definitely two raw now.

------

Connie F
Connie F
Advanced
North Carolina USA
Member since 4/8/13
Send Message

Date: 6/18/13 11:53 AM

As some of you know I just lost my Daddy......My 9 year old nephew was my Daddy's best bud.....I am making him a memory quilt and giving to him at Christmas. I will use all of his cotton clothes including his Dickie pants. I am going to make it as a rag quilt so I can use the pants for the backing squares!This Christmas will be all about memories. I am making one for my sister's daughter for her to take when she goes to college this fall (we lost her Mom to colon cancer last March)
I have an idea for you for your daughter. My BESTEST friend had my hubby bring home one of my Daddy's shirts (without me knowing) and she made me a Teddy Bear out of his flannel shirt......we displayed it as his funeral......anyways, I am making those for all the brothers & sister and Grandkids for Christmas. I might make some different animals not quite sure yet. Decided to make them for Christmas because it is just to raw right now to cut into my Daddy's clothes. (It will be easier than making so many quilts, but everyone will have a piece of my Daddy)

I am so sorry for the pain your daughter is going through. I will say a prayer for God to comfort her, her friends, you and this young man's family.
-- Edited on 6/18/13 12:00 PM --

Franksdottir

Franksdottir  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08
Send Message

In reply to Connie F <<

Date: 6/18/13 9:37 PM

This has been a hard time for you. I send you and the family my condolences.

------
Barb

JanyceR
star
JanyceR  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 2/3/07
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/18/13 10:20 PM

I am sure the mother would very much appreciate a memory quilt. And there is no hurry at all, in fact, she will probably be able to appreciate it more after some time has passed.

------
Pfaff Creative Sensation Pro, Bernina 780,
B350SE,other Berninas, Pfaff Performance 5, several vintage - multiple manufacturers.
Love all my machines!

Connie F
Connie F
Advanced
North Carolina USA
Member since 4/8/13
Send Message

In reply to Franksdottir <<

Date: 6/18/13 11:44 PM

Thank you!

NonieA1
NonieA1  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 11/3/10
Send Message

Date: 6/19/13 5:27 AM

My husband and I were in a long-term study of parents losing a child from cancer. It was found that after 3 years, most support is gone with the mentality of society "to get over it". To have the child remembered long past the poignant grief time is a gift long-remembered. A memory quilt will be a lasting gift with untold rewards for both you and the receiving family. God bless you for your endeavors.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Memory quilt

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Class Details

Online Class
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Class Details

Marfy 2568

photo
by: merteuil

Review
Self Drafted Pattern 307707-1000

photo
by: dalachin

Review
You Sew Girl Panel Bag

You Sew Girl Panel Bag

More Info
Christine Jonson Bell Sleeve Wrap & A-Line Skirt

Christine Jonson Bell Sleeve Wrap & A-Line Skirt

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.