SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > Most useful feet ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Most useful feet
Help me build my collection please
sews4kids
sews4kids
Member since 5/5/13
Send Message

Date: 6/18/13 10:25 PM

I am about 98% sure I am going to buy the Bernina 580. The PCP is tempting but ultimately I think it is too large for my space and a bit too loud for my needs. Now the fun begins. Which feet do you think are indispensible, beyond whatever comes with the machine? I am thinking about starting with the #10 edgefoot due to comments from a prior post. I also want to get the gathering foot because I HATE trying to ruffle on my own. One of the hemming feet is tempting as well. Is there anything else that I *must* have to start with?

I have a feeling that my initial $500-1,000 sewing machine budget is just going to go toward feet, fabric, and embroidery notions.

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 5/9/09
Send Message

Date: 6/18/13 11:36 PM

Quote:
I also want to get the gathering foot because I HATE trying to ruffle on my own.

Depends what you want to gather.

I prefer the ruffler. Gathering with a cord, gathering stitch, and manual buttonhole foot also works for some things.

------
Bernina B330
Feet: 1,2,3,3A,4,5,7,8,10,13,16,18,20, 29,32,35,37,50,64,70,71,82,85,86, 92

woole bully

woole bully  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Indiana USA
Member since 8/9/06
Send Message

Date: 6/19/13 0:30 AM

check out the free classes on craftsy.com i took the free class on presser feet. that may help you decide.

mastdenman
star
mastdenman  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/12/04
Send Message

Date: 6/19/13 0:51 AM

I like a roller foot also for use with heavier fabrics and fabrics that do not want to slide under the foot easily.

------
Marilyn

January 2009 to January 2010 81 yards out and 71yards in January 2010 to the present 106.7 yards out and 146.5 yards in. January 2011 to the present: 47 yards out and 69 yards in.

kathi s

kathi s
Beginner
California USA
Member since 1/23/03
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/19/13 1:41 AM

I have completely worn out the 1/4" clear plastic quilting foot and I don't quilt. I use this foot instead of the straight stitch foot- the built in markings are great for keeping your stitches on line.

CrisB
star
CrisB  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 6/19/13 2:27 PM

There isn't a week that goes by that I don't use my #10 foot for something. I use it a lot and the more I use it, the more, I think of new things that it can do. It is an amazing foot. I also like the 1/4 inch (without the guide) foot.

Just this morning I was hemming an interlock cotton knit with the blind hem foot (#5), I read in my "Features" that the #10 foot would do a blind hem better if the the hem was curved, something I never knew. If you fiddle with the blind hem settings you can get an almost invisible hem. I used width = 3, and length = 2.5, with the needle all the way to the right and a microtex 70/10 needle. It came out great.

This is why I love my Bernina machines, the precision you can get with the feet, plus that wonderful straight stitch.

Chris

Kelly D.
star
Kelly D.  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 4/24/05
Send Message

Date: 6/19/13 10:27 PM

#10, hands down my favorite foot. Can't tell you how many times someone has asked how I do such amazingly accurate top-stitching on garments.

dfsews

dfsews  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Nebraska USA
Member since 4/17/06
Send Message

Date: 6/20/13 0:02 AM

#34 clear foot, this is what I use unless I am doing something special.
The zipper foot w guide, I think it is #14.
#16 gathering foot is good.
I think it's hard to get hemmer feet to work well; I've used a number of different brands of feet on their respective machines and am always disappointed.
Bernina feet are very nice. I use a plastic divided case to store extra feet.

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/20/13 4:23 AM

You will find your dealer has specials and coupons all the time so no need to rush into a package foot deal discount. They make for good gifts from spouses and kids throughout the year.
I took my time building. When I had a project that benefitted from a foot or accessory, thats when I got it.
I enjoyed the process of building my collection which filled the foot case, spilled over to drawers and included quite a few over $200 and the BSR.
I gave the whole kit and caboodle to my daughter 2 years ago. She is in 7th heaven- loves quilting.

It was a solidly made machine but after 6 yrs I really never found any of them to suit my needs regarding simple garment construction. And the fancy ones- hemmers, bias binders, didn't work as well as my hands did. The ruffler was the exception- a great foot.
So I moved on to BL and Pfaff. Both come with a standard foot that have thread slots cut through and give clear visibility to see the seam area underneath no matter how the direction might change. Plus they both have rufflers!

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

Elaray
starstarstar
Elaray
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 4/20/05
Send Message

Date: 6/20/13 6:54 AM

I absolutely love #10! Couldn't sew without it. I recently bought #16 gathering foot and I'm a little disappointed. I have to play with the settings and see what yields the best gather.

------
I sew, therefore I am.

Visit my blog at http://anothercreation.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Most useful feet

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Understanding Wool Fabrics
Understanding Wool Fabrics

Register

Simplicity 2443

photo
by: MrsCharism...

Review
Petite Plus 150 Pattern

Petite Plus 150 Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Paloma Top, Tunic & Dress Pattern

Sew Liberated Paloma Top, Tunic & Dress Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.