SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Most useful feet ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Most useful feet
Help me build my collection please
sews4kids
sews4kids
Member since 5/5/13
Send Message

Date: 6/18/13 10:25 PM

I am about 98% sure I am going to buy the Bernina 580. The PCP is tempting but ultimately I think it is too large for my space and a bit too loud for my needs. Now the fun begins. Which feet do you think are indispensible, beyond whatever comes with the machine? I am thinking about starting with the #10 edgefoot due to comments from a prior post. I also want to get the gathering foot because I HATE trying to ruffle on my own. One of the hemming feet is tempting as well. Is there anything else that I *must* have to start with?

I have a feeling that my initial $500-1,000 sewing machine budget is just going to go toward feet, fabric, and embroidery notions.

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Virginia USA
Member since 5/9/09
Skill: Beginner
Send Message

Date: 6/18/13 11:36 PM

Quote:
I also want to get the gathering foot because I HATE trying to ruffle on my own.

Depends what you want to gather.

I prefer the ruffler. Gathering with a cord, gathering stitch, and manual buttonhole foot also works for some things.

------
Bernina B330
Feet: 1,2,3,3A,4,5,7,8,10,13,16,18,20, 29,32,35,37,50,64,70,71,82,85,86, 92

woole bully

woole bully
Member since 8/9/06
Skill: Intermediate
Send Message

Date: 6/19/13 0:30 AM

check out the free classes on craftsy.com i took the free class on presser feet. that may help you decide.

------
be yourself; everyone else is already taken: oscar wilde

mastdenman
star
mastdenman  Friend of PR
California USA
Member since 1/12/04
Send Message

Date: 6/19/13 0:51 AM

I like a roller foot also for use with heavier fabrics and fabrics that do not want to slide under the foot easily.

------
Marilyn

January 2009 to January 2010 81 yards out and 71yards in January 2010 to the present 106.7 yards out and 146.5 yards in. January 2011 to the present: 47 yards out and 69 yards in.

kathi s

kathi s
California USA
Member since 1/23/03
Skill: Beginner
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/19/13 1:41 AM

I have completely worn out the 1/4" clear plastic quilting foot and I don't quilt. I use this foot instead of the straight stitch foot- the built in markings are great for keeping your stitches on line.

CrisB
star
CrisB  Friend of PR
Virginia USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 6/19/13 2:27 PM

There isn't a week that goes by that I don't use my #10 foot for something. I use it a lot and the more I use it, the more, I think of new things that it can do. It is an amazing foot. I also like the 1/4 inch (without the guide) foot.

Just this morning I was hemming an interlock cotton knit with the blind hem foot (#5), I read in my "Features" that the #10 foot would do a blind hem better if the the hem was curved, something I never knew. If you fiddle with the blind hem settings you can get an almost invisible hem. I used width = 3, and length = 2.5, with the needle all the way to the right and a microtex 70/10 needle. It came out great.

This is why I love my Bernina machines, the precision you can get with the feet, plus that wonderful straight stitch.

Chris

Kelly D.
star
Kelly D.  Friend of PR
California USA
Member since 4/24/05
Send Message

Date: 6/19/13 10:27 PM

#10, hands down my favorite foot. Can't tell you how many times someone has asked how I do such amazingly accurate top-stitching on garments.

dfsews

dfsews  Friend of PR
Nebraska USA
Member since 4/17/06
Send Message

Date: 6/20/13 0:02 AM

#34 clear foot, this is what I use unless I am doing something special.
The zipper foot w guide, I think it is #14.
#16 gathering foot is good.
I think it's hard to get hemmer feet to work well; I've used a number of different brands of feet on their respective machines and am always disappointed.
Bernina feet are very nice. I use a plastic divided case to store extra feet.

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD
USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/20/13 4:23 AM

You will find your dealer has specials and coupons all the time so no need to rush into a package foot deal discount. They make for good gifts from spouses and kids throughout the year.
I took my time building. When I had a project that benefitted from a foot or accessory, thats when I got it.
I enjoyed the process of building my collection which filled the foot case, spilled over to drawers and included quite a few over $200 and the BSR.
I gave the whole kit and caboodle to my daughter 2 years ago. She is in 7th heaven- loves quilting.

It was a solidly made machine but after 6 yrs I really never found any of them to suit my needs regarding simple garment construction. And the fancy ones- hemmers, bias binders, didn't work as well as my hands did. The ruffler was the exception- a great foot.
So I moved on to BL and Pfaff. Both come with a standard foot that have thread slots cut through and give clear visibility to see the seam area underneath no matter how the direction might change. Plus they both have rufflers!

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

Elaray
starstarstar
Elaray
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 4/20/05
Send Message

Date: 6/20/13 6:54 AM

I absolutely love #10! Couldn't sew without it. I recently bought #16 gathering foot and I'm a little disappointed. I have to play with the settings and see what yields the best gather.

------
I sew, therefore I am.

Visit my blog at http://anothercreation.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Most useful feet

Merchants on PR

Boho Banjo art to wear

pdf sewing patterns
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

O! Jolly! Shop

Sweater Knit Fabrics
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Class Details

Online Class
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Class Details

Jennifer Stern The Perfectly Fitted Shirt by the Cup-Full Pattern ( Size 6-14(Cup A-DD) )

Jennifer Stern The Perfectly Fitted Shirt by the Cup-Full Pattern ( Size 6-14(Cup A-DD) )

Pattern Details
Christine Jonson Boyfriend Jacket and Shell

Christine Jonson Boyfriend Jacket and Shell

Pattern Details

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2015 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.